I'm Finally Back

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Cool. I should have read the instructios( DUMBASS!!!!!):oops: Well, in my defense, it doesn't say anything about decal removal. But I have a sneaky suspicion it would work.

Last edited:
It looks great Aaron but this dumb cluck can't see what you mean by having the star and bar backwards. Surly the single star arm always points up or forward.

NO!! Microsol!!just use a bit of water over a few minutes should get for you.The microsol will make loosen but make the decals very very prone to ripping and folding on ya,I been down that road before ](*,)

Water might do it, as you only need to lift an edge of the decal. However, once a decal has been on a 'metal' surface, it is very unlikely to be able to remove it without it tearing, as it tends to really bond to the metallised finish. Only remove the decals if you have spare ones to re-apply, which I'm sending you.
In this instance, using Micro Sol, with water, will actually help, as it will soften the decal to allow easier removal.However, bearing in mind the above, be prepared for some parts of the decal to form an Independent Splinter Movement, remaining stuck, when they will have to be gently scraped off the surface!
Afraid I didn't make the Post Office in time today Aaron, but the checks, codes and stars n bars will be posted tomorrow, Wednesday, and normally take around 5 to 9 days to the USA.

That's quite all right Terry. I am in no hurry. I am seriously thinking about starting on the A-20 and I am still working on the small finish up parts on the P-51. I do have a question about that craft. Was the antenna silver, gray, or white? The photos you posted early on in this thread have the antenna looking white to me against the rest of the aircraft. I have covered it in silver for the time being and it looks just enough different to be noticeable. And thank you for the advice on the decals. Again, thank you very much for sending the decals, I really do appreciate it.:notworthy:

The antenna mast on the P51D was painted silver, with a small Olive Drab area at the base, and often a thin, yellow band. Note that there was not a wire running from the radio, through the canopy, to the fin. In the ETO, the radios were on VHF, and the antenna itself was within the mast.
BTW, I noticed on the check decals I'm sending, that they are printed as black checks on a clear background, but do have the red cheat lines. This means that the nose area covered by the decals will need to be painted white, but don't do this until you receive the decals, so that you can measure and align the decals to the area to be painted.
I've enclosed the original Microscale diagrams for these, and some tips on the best way to do the white. The decals will be in the mail tomorrow.

Thank very much sir for the info on the radio mast and the heads up on the decals.:thumbright: :cool: There is no need to rush for I have plenty to work on. If you don't get to it tomorrow don't fret it.:D

It looks great Aaron but this dumb cluck can't see what you mean by having the star and bar backwards. Surly the single star arm always points up or forward.

Vic, my DUMBA$$ put the wing decals on the fuselage and the fuselage decals on the wings.:oops: Now I have issues with the ID letters fitting in between everything else.:banghead: Terry has come to the rescue though and is sending me more.:notworthy: :greenjumpers: :cool: :thumbright: :notworthy:

NO!! Microsol!!just use a bit of water over a few minutes should get for you.The microsol will make loosen but make the decals very very prone to ripping and folding on ya,I been down that road before ](*,)

Not to worry Javlin, I was not worried about saving them. There are some new ones on the way, but thank you for the concern sir. It is appreciated.

Thanks Aaron, I did wonder about that and good old Terry coming to the rescue again...................better watch out though it could be a dastardly way of getting rid of a couple of his Hippocroccofrogs.

I have finally gotten the tanks sanded. They fit about as well as circles and squares. Being that they were made of doped paper I would assume ( and hope ) they were not slick like a metal tank but rather a little on the lumpy side. I just have to finish sand them for a coat of paint and them get my lines made up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back