I'm Finally Back

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok Terry, I think I've got them now. The mix on the oxide primer made it thick and when I thinned it down it wouldn't cover so don't look to close. It has now got masking tape lines now but I think I can fix that once it dries for a day or two.:oops:

IMG_1217 P51D model resized 20.jpg

Last edited:
Looks the biz Aaron. I wouldn't worry too much about the tape lines or uneven appearance (if any) on the silver. Remember, these were paper tanks, doped in a relatively thick silver dope. Pics of the real thing show them to be sometimes a little ... er ....lumpy!

Thanks guys. I've got more time in these two tanks than I've got in the rest of the model. Good deal on the LUMPY, cause they are.:lol: I can tape the rest of the tank surface and it'll probably look about right.:) I was going to reshoot the aluminum but thought better of it. Will wait until I get the nose masked for the white so I don't have to do it AGAIN.:lol:

Well, I have got a sharp pointy object and am in the process of motivating myself to get this little piece done. I shot the white for the checker field on the nose this morning. Once it dries I will remask and reshoot the aluminum and redo the decals and weather it. I'll post a pick a little later. Got to give the Jeep a tune-up and do some yard work.

I was wondering what was happening with your modelling Aaron. Good to see you back at it. What Jeep have you got? I had a 4 litre Cherokee for around 5 years - nice, smooth, and good to drive, on and off road, if a little narrow at the outside of the seat to door space. It had to go though, with the price of fuel in the UK !!!

Very nice start, with the new house and everything that is going on I've got all my "stuff" still packed and my "new" workroom is still a storage area. Just started putting the old models back into their showcases....then I have to build a workbench...then...hopefully

Yeah Terry, I need to get this one and the A-20 done so I can get on the B-25 and the Mk XVIb that I have waiting along with the F-14 and the P-40B. Oh, and I went outside to work on the Jeep, a 1993 Grand Cherokee 5.2 litre all wheel drive. It will go anywhere I want to go but it's getting a little long in the tooth with 273,000 miles on it. Thank you Mike, I have been a little lax on the models for the past 6 or so months.

My Cherokee was only just run in, at 107,000 miles, even though it was 11 years old. I liked the selectable four-wheel drive, and the 'part-time' system which kicked in from 2 wheel drive when needed, and it performed well off road, although clearance wasn't as good as my old Range Rover or Land Rover before that. But at 18mpg (about 27mpg with cruise control on a long run), and fuel at over £6 per gallon, a more economical bus was needed, hence my current (old) Suzuki Vitara.

I can understand the mileage issue. I spent last Saturday replacing all the bearings in the rearend, replaced all of the ball joints in the front, and put new brakes all the way around. Rides like a new car now and a co-worker said it stops on a dime and gives you nine pennies back.:lol: Oh and I am taping up the 51 for a fresh coat of aluminum. This may take a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back