Interesting Things You've Seen From the Air

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Most of us have flown, and seen cool things from up there in the air.

What are some you've seen? Ive seen quite a few, so heres a couple of mine to start things off.

B1's being refueled. ....... I was on a flight going to Minneapolis and at 30,000 feet above NW Nebraska. I saw the white outlines of a DC-10 going perpendicular to us, about 10,000 feet below us. I then noticed a pair of black shadows behind it, keeping pace with the DC-10. I then recognized the shape of the shadows were of B1's. Dang, that was neat to see a refueling taking place FROM ABOVE!!!!

I was flying over the Grapevine in a Cessna and I saw a B-2 about 2000 feet below us ... that was neat.

I had my "knees in the breeze" at 1200 feet and my finger tips on the outer skin of a C-130 when I was in door position at Ft. Benning jump school. It seemed that I was there 2 minutes and the trees looked awfully close!

During my first solo at Edwards AFB I was flying the South Base pattern (500' AGL). In the North Base Pattern was a B-1 and F-16 in a loose formation, both were about 2000' AGL and flying a way wider pattern than I but still right in front or along side of me as I did my 3 solo touch and goes. Hell of a thing to see during your first solo!

Living in the Antelope Valley, any and all combat or older warbirds were common place. Probably the most impressive thing I've seen was the SR-71 flying out of Plant 42 and one taking off out of Edwards (the NASA bird). B-1s, F-106s (Chase planes) F-5s, F-4s, F-117s, B-2s were common place, then going into and out of China Lake you had F-18s and AV-8s. Name it and you could see it when you're around Palmdale/ Lancaster CA.

Lets see:

Saw a C-130 flying NOE. I was flying a training flight in a Blackhawk at about 5000ft and the C-130 was below us in a training area doing NOE.

Saw the Swords of Saddam (to me it was really cool). We were flying a mission about 20ft over the swords in Baghdad.

Was buzzed by German Luftwaffe F-4 Phantoms. We were flying a training mission at about 5000ft and a pair of F-4s flew no more than 500ft over our rotor.

On a 747-400 test flight over Oklahoma. Just happened too look out the window while standing at the port forward door and saw a KC-135 refueling a B-52 below us. Like Syscom, you don't often get that view live.

Right after 9/11, I flew out of Reagan International in Crystal City, VA (right across the river from Washington DC). The river route takes you right over the Pentagon. I could see the whole facade destroyed and multiple Hummers with stinger missile turrets all over the frickin' place.

Oh yeah here's another one. Can't recall the aircraft that I was in, two engine civvie with an ex-Vigi driver as pilot. We saw a cargo aircraft about 5000ft below us. He did a wing over and executed a "gun run". And then quickly knocked it off. :toothy5:

Oh to add to my list.

I was flying a night C2 mission in Iraq and got to see an AC-130 light up the sky (and make someone have a very bad day :toothy5:)

You should see them from the ground, Chris ! In Da Nang you could see
them working Monkey Mountain over. Quite a sight..

I guess the strangest thing I've seen is, flying over the Sahara in 1954-55,
there was still quite a lot of armor laying around in the desert. British, US
and German. No one had any big helo's, and it was too much of a trip to
go tow something in. I'm certain a lot of it is still there !

Charles

The George Washington Bridge.....from below.

Flying with my uncle (a B-24 pilot in WW II) when I was about 10 years old. We flew under the GW Bridge. Pretty sure that might have been an FAA violation but a very cool (or shaky) thing to do.

TO

Cool stuff guys, I certainly can't top any of those. Only things I have really seen from the air are whales, Kilimanjaro/Mount Kenya/Mount McKinley/other mountains, the Sahara (many times), the Okavango Delta, Ayres Rock, Victoria Falls, Table Mountain/Robben Island, Elephants, Buffalo, Giraffe etc, Sydney Harbour, Paris, London and a few others I have no doubt missed. Most on commercial flight but some on smaller aircraft for sightseeing trips (Okavango + animals + whales).

About the only thing I've ever seen out of the ordinary was back in the 80's aboard a passenger jet, at altitude over the Sierras.

While heading south from Redding to Southern California around midnight, I saw meteor showers for the duration of the flight. If I remember right, it was the Leonids.

I have seen all kinds of stuff in the air the last few years. But then again, that is part of the reason I am up there anyway! ;)

One of my coolest was the flight over the Mojave desert. Saw the B-2 (photographed it too) and saw a U2 as well, but missed the U2 with the lens.

Attachments

• DSC_1367.jpg
    DSC_1367.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 977
  • DSC_1363.jpg
    DSC_1363.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 314
Flying out of Sydney airport for Hungary during the massive bush fires of December 2001. The whole sky was brown from the ground, but the view from above was amazing!
The smoke rose like a wall at the outskirts of the fire line, roughly 4-500 m in height I'd say (maybe more), then levelled off and was as flat as a pancake on top, covering the entire landscape as far as the eye could see...
Luckily had the 'el cheapo' camera on me, so took a few photos of it.

My family was stationed in Guam during the early 80's, so I got to see a lot of B-52's flying around, doing touch-n-go's and popping that little bitty drogue chute to slow down (which I always thought was kinda funny, big plane, little chute...). We would take MAC flights for vacation back in the States, or go to Korea every now and then, and I got to watch some sort of fighter (can't remember which one, now...probably an F4) getting refuelled...from inside the tanker. They would let kids on the flight sit/lay in the seat/pad next to the boom operator, and watch. Once, the fighter pilot made some sort of gesture at the boom operator....the boom operator waved back at him, pulled out a can of Coke, and took a very deep, satisfying swig. The fighter pilot flipped him off.

Seen tons of F-4's and other cargo/transport planes (C-5 with its nose open is an impressive sight!) while stationed in Georgia, as well.

Impressive shots Eric!

about the only slightly cool thing was on landing in an ATR 72-500 I saw a cessna land with us on a different runway

I was flying over the Grapevine in a Cessna and I saw a B-2 about 2000 feet below us ... that was neat.

I had my "knees in the breeze" at 1200 feet and my finger tips on the outer skin of a C-130 when I was in door position at Ft. Benning jump school. It seemed that I was there 2 minutes and the trees looked awfully close!

also had my "knees in the breeze" comiso and yes the trees do look very close dont they ?:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back