Internal cowl color of Fw-190A-8

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

plheure2

Senior Airman
Nov 9, 2009
Massachusetts, USA
I had heard that the color of the internal surface metal of the Fw-190 was anodized metal. Would this be correct for the internal cowl from the front of the engine to the lip of the cowl just beyond the cooling fan? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and thank-you.

Pete

Generally all matal inner surfaces were painted with RLM02. There was the oil ringed tank with its armour protection at the mentioned by you area.Due to its close position to the BMW engine and heat of it the paint there could get darker tonality.

Yep, Wojtek is quite correct. Photos of the open engine bay show RLM02, with the areas subjected to heat appearing darker, in some cases approaching something similar to RLM66. Paints of this tone, when affected by heat, often tend to take on a slight brownish cast, like a 'film' over the actual colour. Depending on the scale of the model, RLM02, darkened with a spot or two of a darker grey should suffice. When dry, a light dry-brushing or wash with a brown tint should make it look about right.

Exactly Terry. However it seems that the RLM02 or the preservation paint of the grey-green tonality was applied on bare matal. In the case it might have appaeared like something of metalic yellow-green semi-transparent tonality.Because of the heat the kind of the painting gets the dark-grey aluminium colour.Which is very similar to the RLM66 in B&W pictures.

I pretty much paint the interior of cowlings black. I figure it had to have been covered with grease and soot and won't be very visable anyway. I painted the cowling interior of my Wildcat in what's supposed to be the accurate color, and then used black pastel chalk for weathering. I doubt any of the work I did on that will be visible, and if it is it will likely be the overspray from the exterior color that will be seen. Painting it black also has the virtue of relieving me of any responsibility to research the accurate color. If I were opening up the cowling I would try to do a better job of this.

Wurger - I'm saying that I'd pretty much paint the interior of any cowl black. It's a form of laziness. I admit that my reply is pretty much useless and irrelevant to this discussion. You see, I've recieved so much help already on this discussion board that I feel obligated to try to reply to other's questions once in a while instead of always soliciting everyone else's help. I try not to let my ignorance prevent me from pretending to be helpful.

Oh... I haven't wanted to offence you at any way. I do apologize if you got the impression. Simply I was a little bit confused as you mentioned the Wildcat.What was really quite irrelevant to the topic.

The model of the A8 I am currently building is a 1/72 scale, by Revell-Germany (the A8/R-11 boxing). I'm making it factory-fresh, with no weathering, so RLM 02 it is on the inner surface of the cowl. Thanks, Terry and Wojtek, for your help. I knew I could count on you guys!:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back