Iraqi Mig Buried in the Desert.... (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The viggen looks alot better...

Sorry for opening up an old thread.:oops:

Viggen%20AJ_screenshot%20815.jpg

I´ve seen the same story with the same pics at www.2bombgroup.org on their Bulletin board-
Iraqi jet, an advanced Russian Mig-25 Foxbat, was found buried in the sand after an informant tipped off U.S. Troops.The Mig was dug out of a massive sand dune near the Al Taqqadum Airfield reportedly one of over two dozen Iraqi jets buried in the sand, like hidden treasure, waiting to be recovered at a later date. This represented Millions of Dollars(American) War Equipment which had been hidden from inspectors of UN.

MiG-25's are kick ass...But not as kick ass as the plane it was supposed to intercept, the B-70 8) 8)

Yeah, no kidding; everybody used to think the -25 was developed to compete against the F-15 but, in reality, it's sole purpose was to shoot down the XB-70, hence it's blistering straight-line performance and incredibly powerful radar. IIRC, in MiG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko, by John Barron, it was said that the radar was so brutally powerful that the pilots were not allowed to operate it when the aircraft was on the ground as it would "fry a rabbit at 100 yards" , let alone a human standing in front of the aircraft.

The B-70 was a beautiful airctraft; I understand the reasoning behind it's cancellation, but it's still too bad it got cancelled. I would've loved to hear the mighty roar of six J-93's in full afterburner. I am also surprised that no other A/C manufacturer used it's compression-lift feature, which was proven on the XB-70; I guess there's no need for a long-range triple-sonic A/C anymore. Maybe in the future, if and when we ever try to develop an SST again (though I understand the plans for SST's that are on the drawing board call for an exo-atmospheric vehicle).

I´ve seen the same story with the same pics at www.2bombgroup.org on their Bulletin board-
Iraqi jet, an advanced Russian Mig-25 Foxbat, was found buried in the sand after an informant tipped off U.S. Troops.The Mig was dug out of a massive sand dune near the Al Taqqadum Airfield reportedly one of over two dozen Iraqi jets buried in the sand, like hidden treasure, waiting to be recovered at a later date. This represented Millions of Dollars(American) War Equipment which had been hidden from inspectors of UN.

I have pics that I took after we blew it up.

too bad it wasnt used for live fire exercises.. it would make a nice target for a M1 or Long Bow chin gun..

I allready posted the pics. They are here somewhere. We actually did use it for target practice for a while from the helos.

IIRC, in MiG Pilot: The Final Escape of Lt. Belenko, by John Barron, it was said that the radar was so brutally powerful that the pilots were not allowed to operate it when the aircraft was on the ground as it would "fry a rabbit at 100 yards" , let alone a human standing in front of the aircraft.

In reality, the limitation on radar operation is a safety procedure followed by virtually every respectable aircraft operator in the world. With fueling occuring nearby, there is always a flammability hazard.

Why? It was not worth it. Do you know how much ti would have cost to get that thing in the air after it was buried in the desert?

For something that was a worthless as the Mig-25, it was not worth it.

True the Mig-25 was fast, but thats it.

This thread gave me a great idea...it would be great for my country's air force to bury its Mig's in sand also...we don't use them anyway...that way we can keep them forever and when the U.S. will have an F1000 we'll still use Mig 21...:lol:

This thread gave me a great idea...it would be great for my country's air force to bury its Mig's in sand also...we don't use them anyway...that way we can keep them forever and when the U.S. will have an F1000 we'll still use Mig 21...:lol:

I may be wrong, but AFAIK the romanian AF plans to maintain them until 2012 or 2013

Yea thats great but whos gonna buy the plane? if i remember right ya got a bunch of tightwads there:D

Its so frustrating...they complain that they don't have enough money but they spend money on maintaining complete junks...the Mig21 its complete obsolete and the same situation resides in the armored forces...well they where saying that they were gonna change the Migs on Eurofighters this year so I'm eager to see if they do....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back