Is this Galland Memo Authentic? Because if it is...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If I'm not mistaken, the FW-190C prototype (V13) with the DB 603A was flying in mid-1942 and the D-0 with the
Jumo 213A was flying in October, 1942. 1942!

A precious year goes by....

On May 25th, 1943, Galland issues this memo and several days later Milch orders the Me-262 into series production.
BUT, Milch and everyone else ignores the more immediate issue of canceling the Me-209 in favor of the Jumo/DB powered 190's.

Over a freakin' year goes by and finally the D-9 is ordered into series production...

But by then it's too late, way too late... I'm utterly amazed by this sequence of events.

Bronc

Actually as the further you get into German aircraft and their histories, you'll find that this type of 'event' was fairly common. So much wasted on useless designs, politics playing their hand and of course Herr Hitler's wild fantasies.

Hello Njaco
IMHO German a/c development didn't differ much of that of Allies. Design and development of a combat a/c simply took time and many projects were found impractical. Look for example all those efforts by Curtiss to produce a follow up to P-40, or more generally, all those USAAF funded fighter projects during WWII, almost all got only to prototype stage.

In UK, for ex the Vickers Warwick, would be follow up of Wellington medium bomber, all they got from the resources poured on its development was an Air-Sea Rescue plane and a transport plane which had potentially very dangerous single-engine behavior and there were cases were that potential realized.Then there was Westland Welkin etc. All participants poured resources to a/c and engines which never proved themselves

Juha

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back