Israeli Nuke Strike On Iran Averted ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kinda like the old space attempts. Just lifts off, tilts to the right, and ...

BOOM!!

...world peace.

Attachments

• v.jpg
    v.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 57
If I'm not mistaken, the Luftwaffe decomissioned the F-4 in 2005.

Not for recon purposes. I had one fly over my Blackhawk at about 5000ft last year. He was maybe 250 to 500 ft over us.

Here are the squadrons that use each aircraft:

JG 71 "Richthofen" - F-4
JG 74 - F-4
JG 73 - Eurofighter
JG 31 "Boelke" - Tornado
JG 32 - Tornado
JG 33 - Tornado
JG 51 "Immelmann" - Tornado

NATO Joint Fighter Training School - T-37 and T-38

Flugbereitschaft des Bundesministerium der Veteidigun (Defense Mininstry) - Airbus A 310 and CL-601

Lufttransport Geschwader 61 - C-160D
Lufttransport Geschwader 62 - C-160D
Lufttransport Geschwader 63 - C-160D

I corrected my post yesterday. You are right. I show they still have about 55 on the books. That's quite a few actually.

Oh, and Adler, my apologies. Germany is still using about 55 F-4s according the my sourcebook.

Sorry I had not read that part yet.

Yeap they will all soon be gone though with the Eurofighter. The recon duties of the F-4 will also be gone with the Recon Tornados like the ones sent to Afganistan a few weeks ago.

Not for recon purposes. I had one fly over my Blackhawk at about 5000ft last year. He was maybe 250 to 500 ft over us.

I was fortunate enough to be "buzzed" by two F-22's in our Cessna 414 over the Sierra Nevada's. Our pilot heard them on the radio and asked them for a flyby and they complied. They were 1000-1500 feet away.

According to the Luftwaffe, Die letzte F-4F wird die Luftwaffe wahrscheinlich erst im Jahr 2012 verlassen, wenn das Jagdgeschwader 71 "Richthofen" auf den Eurofighter umrüstet.
No translation needed me thinks.

Kris

That must have been cool.

The setting of Sierra made it even more cool. We were in between Las Vegas and Central Cal. It was nice of them to give some tax payers a look at the latest hardware... the pilots didn't have to do that... we appreciated it very much.

On another trip, I saw a B-2 about 2500 ft below us near Edwards AFB. The thing looked like it didn't belong in the air. Seeing one from above was a interesting perspective.

Those F-4 must have been a sight.... mean and dirty

I was on a test flight once and happened to look out the forward door window and about 4000ft below us was a B-52 tanking with a KC-135. Pretty cool to actually watch.

Ever seen a C-130 do NOE flight? We were flying at about 2200ft and below us in the Low Level Training area was a C-130! That was pretty cool.

I worked with a guy who was an AOPA rep. He was a C-130 driver and had recently completed his Air-to-Air training. Apparently it involved high speed NOE evasion in mountainous terrain. When the Red Force aircraft came in for a run, they would turn into the engagement. He claimed (I think a bit dubiously) that his likelihood of escaping such an encounter was high due to the inherent maneuverability of the Herc versus the high speed of the Red Force aircraft. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Thats crazy! I have respect for those guys though. After seeing how they flew out of Iraq to keep from getting hit by Manpads! Fricken crazy with such a plane. My hats off to the Herc.

Thats crazy! I have respect for those guys though. After seeing how they flew out of Iraq to keep from getting hit by Manpads! Fricken crazy with such a plane. My hats off to the Herc.

Does JATO have practical applications or has it been religated to airshows and '72 Buicks?

This last weekend I was at the Long beach Grand Prix. Right after the National Anthem, I expected to see the obligitory F-18's screaming by but instead they sent a C-17. It banked on it's wigtip and was pretty darn low. I was suprised at how much i enjoyed seeing that lumbering bus cruise by.

JATO? I don't know. Blue Angels still use them in airshow so does that mean they are still in the inventory? Probably.

I've posted this before, but the McChord AFB hosts a yearly show. And the C-17 steals it everytime with STOL, backing up, and as you noted turning on its wing at speeds that look like they defy physics. Impressive aircraft to say the least.

Does JATO have practical applications or has it been religated to airshows and '72 Buicks?

For takeoff when the aircraft is heavy or needs to get off the ground quickly I guess they could use it. I dont know I never worked with 130s. I only flew on them into Kosovo one time and in and out of Iraq a few times.

JATO? And the C-17 steals it everytime with STOL, backing up, and as you noted turning on its wing at speeds that look like they defy physics. Impressive aircraft to say the least.

I'm happy that u said that. I thought I was a dork for thinking that a transport plane was so cool.

It looked like the pilot was going to do a barrel roll

I'm happy that u said that. I thought I was a dork for thinking that a transport plane was so cool.

It looked like the pilot was going to do a barrel roll

No - you're not a dork for thinking that. All of us in the military (except maybe the Tom Cruise jet jock types :D) think that the C-17 is friggen awesome. I sure do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back