Italeri 1/72 Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Profa

Airman
Mar 23, 2008
Allright, here we go with the first post of mine...
Here we're talking about Cat from Hell of Lt. Cmdr. Richard Stambook, VF-27, USS Princeton during the Battle of the Leyte gulf, october 1944.

Model is made OOB and is painted with handbrush, using Humbrol enamels (34/144/77) and MM gloss and matt cotes. Wash was made using dark grey Vallejo ModelColor, which was followed by matt cote and heavy weathering by pigments...
There are still some minor errors to be corrected - have to paint antena mast and fix joint between canopy and fuselage...

Please don't have mercy with comments and critics - going to be brave after my first post and stand the fire :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Hellcat_01.jpg
    Hellcat_01.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Hellcat_03.jpg
    Hellcat_03.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Hellcat_06.jpg
    Hellcat_06.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 288
  • Hellcat_07.jpg
    Hellcat_07.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 276
  • Hellcat_09.jpg
    Hellcat_09.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 298
  • Hellcat_11.jpg
    Hellcat_11.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 290
  • Hellcat_20.jpg
    Hellcat_20.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 296
Hallo Profa,

First of all welcome to the forum and greetings from Poland.
Secondly, I think you have done a good job.The model looks good, the weathering is made nice and sensitively.Nothing more to say.Great !!!:D :D :D

keep them comming.:D

Are you kidding me? You think you will receive ill reviews for that? Beauty. Especially from one who has made hundreds of 1/72nd aircraft, that is wonderful. Please post some more with mid-build pics.

Bloody beauty mate! I've got that one (The Revell boxing ) on 'very slow' build myself, nice to see how good she can look when she's done..!

(You did a better job than I did on the cockpit from what I can see) :)

Don't know about the Revell kit, I know only that these decals are way too big for this scale (like mixed up with 1/48) :mad:
Here are some mid-build pics, as requested:
Something like 4 layers of white:
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-03.jpg

Second layer of medium blue (1 more was to follow):
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-08.jpg

1st, 2nd and 3rd layer of navy blue:
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-10.jpg
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-11.jpg
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-18.jpg

Gloss cote and decals, with a little help of MM setting solution for the panels:
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-20.jpg

Lower side of the starboard wing before and after the use of pigments:
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-29.jpg
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-30.jpg

Since I'm working with the paintbrush, canopy goes on at the very end... Here I had a "minor" problem with it... Fortunately, that was nothing a little Mr. Surfacer, careful sanding and overpainting/wash couldn't fix, as seen on the finished model... :D
th_Ita72-GrummanF6F-3Hellcat-32.jpg

No, paint goes straight from the tin can to the surface... :)
The only time I use thinner is when I work with some old Molak or Precision paint and for cotes (dull and gloss).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back