Italeri P-38/F-35 Lightning 1:48 Scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

[SC] Arachnicus

Senior Airman
May 1, 2012
West Chester OH
This is my first thread where I am going to attempt to keep posting updates and pictures and progress. A co-worker of mine wants me to build him a P-38. I made the mistake of buying this Italeri kit. It wouldn't be a bad kit if it was $15.00 one, but this kit is a $54.00 one and for that much money I am not impressed.

I went ahead and completed the cockpit. This was the very first cockpit I have ever detailed. The colors of all the parts are probably not exact and the seatbelts are Luftwaffe, but I did my best with what I know so far. Regardless, I think my first customer will be happy.

box.jpg
Parts.jpg
C1.jpg
C2.jpg
C3.jpg

That looks great. As long as your enjoying building it. I Generally try to be as accurate as I can within reason but for me it's more about the plane. A lot of the kits I build there isn't a ton of info on so I often just wing it as it were. As long as your happy with the end result who cares how accurate it is !!!

Looks like a cool kit, great start :D

Hey, Arachnicus,
Looks darned nice. I like the weathering you pulled off on the cockpit. Keep up the good work. I am like BustedWing, I try to learn what I can, but will wing it as needed.
Dale

Looking good so far.
I agree though, $45 (approx£27) is a bit steep for the kit. It's a bit late now, but one of the Academy series of P-38 kits could have been used. These are excellent kits, possibly the best P-38 kits available in this scale, and no problems in construction, especially the tail booms. They are, on average, £16 in the UK, so around $25 in the USA.
A couple of pieces of advice, if you don't mind, especially important if building this as a commission.
Most, if not all kits of the P-38 need close attention to the construction and joints of the tail-booms and, perhaps more important, alignment of the booms to ensure they are evenly spaced and 'square' to each other. Ensure you check the fit and alignment as many times as it takes, before construction, until you are happy that you can:
a) undertake this in the most convenient way.
b) ensure the required alignment and geometry.
Also, the nose will require a fair amount of weight, to ensure the completed model sits on it's undercarriage without tipping onto the tail, and this must fit and be secured properly. Again, taking some time to work out how and where the weight is going to fit, and how much will be required, before you reach that stage, will pay dividends in the long run. (the instruction sheet might indicate the amount of weight required.)
These points may seem obvious, but it's surprising how easily they can be forgotten in the enthusiasm of the build !
As with all builds, and especially those done as commissions, the 'Seven Ps' are paramount, and the more planning and test-fitting undertaken, the easier things will be, and the better the end result.

Seven P's? Must be pint, pint, pint, pint, pint, pint and pint....

Off to a good start mate! Have to say that them props looks funny in the box, any idea where Italeri got the molds from?

I have no idea Lucky13, on a quick Google search I didn't see much in reference to reviews on this kit. A few people asking if there are any reviews...lol. How this is a $54.00 kit, I do not understand.

Academy/Minicraft are, or were the same company. However, as far as I know, the Academy version of the kit was re-tooled, in comparison to the older Minicraft example. I've built the Academy P-38J, and there were no major problems I remember, with good fit, and overall an excellent kit. it also includes parts to build three different versions.
These days, there is a lot of mould sharing between companies, so I'm not surprised the Italeri kit is a re-boxing, even though it's a bit naughty increasing the price.
Still, you've enjoyed another learning experience - always research available kits as fully as possible. It's not always the most expensive, top of the range kit which fits all the builders requirements, and again, when building for commissions, this is even more important.

Plenty of room inside when putting things together. The wheel well are a bit of a pain but the first one fit in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back