Italeri P40N - Kittyhawk IV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FlexiBull

Airman 1st Class
Feb 9, 2009
Just thought I would share some photos of my latest 1/48th model

P6070116.jpg

Built almost straight from the box with the addition of UltraCast seat, wheels and exhausts.

P6070119.jpg

The kit was not expensive and was OK apart from some bad surface detail on both wings from the internal wheel well ribs. These sanded out well. The undercarriage lets it down ( no pun intended) but thanks to a file from Macdrow and plenty of photos I have corrected some details. The gunsight went straight in the bin and a new one was made.

P5180077.jpg

The cockpit had to be "blended" into the fuselage with the aid of some filler.

P6070118.jpg

Needs a better background.

P6080133.jpg

P6080143.jpg

Now does anyone have a wat of making some 1/48th PSP for a decent diarama :D

Very nice Flexi'. Both Verlinden and Eduard do PSP in 1/48th scale. The Eduard set isn't too expensive, in PE, and I believe the Verlinden kit, if still available, is/was resin. The Eduard stuff looks very nice.

Thanks guys :oops: I had some useful pictures of the actual aircraft to go on.

CleopatraIII.jpg

Terry thanks for the info on the PSP

Lovely stuff, love the weathering on the wings! Nice scratch-building too. :thumbleft:

I think we'll need to have a P-40 GB sometime.....

Great model Flexibull - really nice.

I have a base from Eduard that has the PSP texture molded in. You might want to have a look to source one yourself. I'm painting this now for the GB. I think they come in various sizes.

cheers

Peter

Now does anyone have a wat of making some 1/48th PSP for a decent diarama

Appropriately sized drill bit, drill press, sheet styrene, comfortable chair, favorite beverage, music and plenty of time. A block of styrene with a slightly larger hole. With a taper punch align the small holes in the sheet over the larger hole in the block and gently press to form the smaller hole outer diameter into the larger hole creating the stiffener lip area for each smaller hole in the sheet to mimic the PSP. Great looking P-40. Definitely needs a worthy diorama. How about just a muddy tarmac?

Thanks again for your comments guys. I know we all put a lot of effort into our building.

On the PSP front, one sheet of Eduard 1/48th Pierced Steel Planking on its way from Hannants.

However nearly ordered some of this :lol:

PSP Landing Mat | Calumet Industries

FlexiBull

Last edited:
I'd be interested on your comments on the eduard PSP, as I've only seen photos of it. I used to carry a couple of 5 feet lenghts of real PSP on the roof of my Land Rover, and I can tell you, it's heavy and awkward stuff to handle!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back