Best Itallian Plane?

• Fiat CR.42

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Savoia-Marchetti SM.81

• Breda 88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
Right, this is my attempt to bring a new topic and hopefully reduce some spam, i hope it works so here goes....

In your opinion, what was the best italian plane during WW2? ive been thinking about this for a while as i like italian lplanes and you lot dont really think much of them :|

As you can probably guess, mines the P.108 8) but i want to mention the savoia Marchetti SM.81 as well, which is my favourite transport 8)

Ive included a small poll too, just because i can 8) ive probably missd out a ton of planes from it that you would have liked but oh well 8)

It would be a toss up between the SM.79 bomber and the Cr.42 fighter (2nd best biplane in the World)

I think really its the SM.79 -i'm surprised you haven't mentioned it in your post C.C - its widely considered to be the most important bomber in the Italian Airforce during that period ;)

Then there's this one too!

sai207-a.jpg

tn_214_4.jpg

The Ambrosini SAI 207.

And this

sai207-3.jpg

Ambrosini SAI 403

Two not well known Italian fighters which had excellent performance, good handling and a goodly armament.

At the beginning of the war, the Regia Aeronautica (italian air force) had a lot of obsolete planes, most fighters were biplanes. They also had a few monoplane fighter types of excellent maneuverability, but their radial powerplants of ca. 1.000PS didn´t allow at least 530km/h.

In 1941, german DB 601 and later also DB 605 engines arrived and were built under licence for the existing monoplane fighters (some guys even tried to use a DB 601 with a CR.42 biplane), and the results were good, but the speed didn´t reach allied standards.

Further, italian fighters were mostly too weak armed with only two 12,7mm guns. Because the italian industry wasn´t as fitted for war and capable as the ones of its enemies, they tried to solve the problem with a lightweight fighter:

The Ambrosini S.A.I.207.

This one followed after the S.A.I.107, which had less than 540 PS, but reached 560km/h. The S.A.I.207 were mostly built of nonstrategic materials, had excellent handling and maneuverability. Its service ceiling was 12.000m and its armament was typical italian: two 12,7mm Breda MG.
It reached 625km/h with a a 750PS Isotta-Fraschini Delta RC40 V-engine and 2.000 orders came in. They were cancelled after 15, when the advanced S.A.I.403 was in prototype stadium. 3.000 of them were ordered, but only the prototype was finished. The S.A.I.403 had improved aerodynamics and armament.

But the development of these attractive planes ended in october, 1943 due to the armistice with the allies.

My comment:

Appearing in great number since spring/summer 1944, they would have been a problem for the allies. With intact fuel supply and a anti-bomber-weapon like the later german R4M "Orkan" (Hurricane)
rocket, they would have blown the allied daylight bomber offensive over italy. Imagine: 650km/h with only 750PS! Compare this with the biplanes of the beginning 1930´s, which had almost the same power, but less than 400km/h! Even the excellent Heinkel He 100 out of 1938 needed 1.1750PS for only 20km/h more!

Specifications:
Ambrosini S.A.I. 403 italian fighter

Dimensions:

Wing span: 9,80m
Length: 8,20m
Height: 2,90m

Weights:
Empty: 1.983kg
Maximum Take-Off: 2.640kg

Performance:
Maximum Speed: 650km/h
Service Ceiling: 10.000m
Normal Range: 937km

Powerplant:
One 750PS Isotta-Fraschini R.C.21/60 V-Engine

Armament:
four 12,7mm Breda-SAFAT MG or each two
12,7mm Breda-SAFAT MG and 20mm MG151/20 cannon

Source: http://www.geocities.com/lastdingo/aviation/sai207.htm

Kiwimac

Right, this is my attempt to bring a new topic and hopefully reduce some spam, i hope it works so here goes....

wow, it's a living breathing paradox....................

Not me i'm afraid, i didn't even vote - as i said - the SM.79 was the best for me so i won't vote for the others....out of principal [-(

ESPECIALLY the CR.42 since Kiwi insisted that it was better than my beloved Gladiator (even though it isn't :crazy: ) i've actually grown to hate the Cr.42 whereas once upon a time it was one of my favs...you see what you've done kiwi??! you've broken a man in two! :drinking: :cry: :cry:

Only kidding :lol:

I think that is the Savoia Marchetti SM79 Sparviero. It was one of the best torpedo bomber of the war.
FAVL21AC.JPG

Breda 88? probably the worst mass-produced bomber in all history! They had to take off pointed in the right direction, because they couldn't get high enough loaded to bank without dragging a wingtip. What's a dog like that doing on the list? SM79, Macchi202/205,are tops.

R Pope said:
Breda 88? probably the worst mass-produced bomber in all history! They had to take off pointed in the right direction, because they couldn't get high enough loaded to bank without dragging a wingtip. What's a dog like that doing on the list? SM79, Macchi202/205,are tops.

In total agreement here! Piaggio 108, Sm.79, and Macchi's 202 and 205 make this top list :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back