Best Itallian Plane?

• Fiat CR.42

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Savoia-Marchetti SM.81

• Breda 88

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cheddar cheese

Major General
Jan 9, 2004
WSM, England
Right, this is my attempt to bring a new topic and hopefully reduce some spam, i hope it works so here goes....

In your opinion, what was the best italian plane during WW2? ive been thinking about this for a while as i like italian lplanes and you lot dont really think much of them

As you can probably guess, mines the P.108 8) but i want to mention the savoia Marchetti SM.81 as well, which is my favourite transport 8)

Ive included a small poll too, just because i can 8) ive probably missd out a ton of planes from it that you would have liked but oh well 8)

It would be a toss up between the SM.79 bomber and the Cr.42 fighter (2nd best biplane in the World)

I think really its the SM.79 -i'm surprised you haven't mentioned it in your post C.C - its widely considered to be the most important bomber in the Italian Airforce during that period

Then there's this one too!

The Ambrosini SAI 207.

And this

Ambrosini SAI 403

Two not well known Italian fighters which had excellent performance, good handling and a goodly armament.

Source: http://www.geocities.com/lastdingo/aviation/sai207.htm

Kiwimac

Not me i'm afraid, i didn't even vote - as i said - the SM.79 was the best for me so i won't vote for the others....out of principal

ESPECIALLY the CR.42 since Kiwi insisted that it was better than my beloved Gladiator (even though it isn't ) i've actually grown to hate the Cr.42 whereas once upon a time it was one of my favs...you see what you've done kiwi??! you've broken a man in two!

Only kidding

I think that is the Savoia Marchetti SM79 Sparviero. It was one of the best torpedo bomber of the war.

Breda 88? probably the worst mass-produced bomber in all history! They had to take off pointed in the right direction, because they couldn't get high enough loaded to bank without dragging a wingtip. What's a dog like that doing on the list? SM79, Macchi202/205,are tops.

In total agreement here! Piaggio 108, Sm.79, and Macchi's 202 and 205 make this top list

Users who are viewing this thread