James Swett - Wildcat Ace

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A painting of Swetts's Wildcat during the dogfight and entitled 'The Unlucky Eight' by Stan Stokes graces the cover of the book entitled 'Flying Aces' (below). A lovely book full of incredible aviation artwork by various artists, it is highly recommended.

As an aside the oiler seen coming into the picture at left as she attempts to escape is the USS Kanawha, AO1, Americas first fleet oiler, which was sunk off Tulagi by the Japanese aerial attack the same day Swett scored his seven victories.

Attachments

• Swett's wildcat.jpg
    Swett's wildcat.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 65
On a slight tangent, you should also check out Bomber Missions: Aviation Art of World War II. Its just like the Flying Aces one but is about the bomber war. Great pictures. There is also a third book about the carrier war but i don't own it

I recently bought a book called "Aviation Art of WWII" which is divided in three chapters, "Flying Aces" which features painting of famous aces and their personal stories, "Bombing Missions" which features bold bombing missions in the ETO and PTO and "Carrier War" which features famous naval battles in the Pacific; I really liked the book and I highly recommend it.

I recently bought a book called "Aviation Art of WWII" which is divided in three chapters, "Flying Aces" which features painting of famous aces and their personal stories, "Bombing Missions" which features bold bombing missions in the ETO and PTO and "Carrier War" which features famous naval battles in the Pacific; I really liked the book and I highly recommend it.

I just got that book myself. The missus picked it up for me for the holidays. There are some great works in there. :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back