James Whitmore dies at 87

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
James Whitmore, who starred in many movies, was diagnosed with lung cancer in November 2008. He eventually succumbed to the disease and died at his home on February 6, 2009 in Malibu in Los Angeles County at the age of 87.

Whitmore was born in White Plains, New York, the son of Florence Belle (née Crane) and James Allen Whitmore, Sr., who was a park commission official.[1] He graduated from Amherst Central High School in Snyder, New York, and subsequently Yale University, where he was a member of Skull and Bones, and served in the United States Marine Corps during World War II.

Following World War II, Whitmore appeared on Broadway in the role of the Sergeant in 'Command Decision'. MGM hired Whitmore on contract, however his role in the film was played by Van Johnson. Whitmore's first major movie was 'Battleground' that was turned down by Spencer Tracy, for which Whitmore was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. Other major films included 'The Asphalt Jungle', 'The Next Voice You Hear', 'Above and Beyond', 'Kiss Me, Kate', 'Them!', 'Oklahoma!', 'Black Like Me', 'Guns of the Magnificent Seven'', 'Tora! Tora! Tora!', and 'Give 'em Hell, Harry!', for which he was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of former President of the United States Harry S Truman. In the movie 'Tora! Tora! Tora!' he played the part of Admiral William F. "Bull" Halsey. Whitmore's last major role was that of librarian Brooks Hatlen in the critically-acclaimed and Academy award-nominated 1994 Tim Robbins film 'The Shawshank Redemption'. To a younger generation, he was probably best known, in addition to his role in 'Shawshank', as the commercial spokesman for Miracle-Gro plant food for many years.

I remember him in Them! It was an old black-and-white film in which he played a cop who discovered a nest of giant ants out in the Mojave Desert.

Favorite of mine as well. Always think of him in three movies.....

Them!
Tora! Tora! Tora!
Shawshank Redemption

TO

His son, James Whitmore Jr. Was "Gutterman" on "Baa Baa Black Sheep." He rented a hangar from a former employer I worked for about 15 years ago - got an autograph photo of him hanging in my office at work. His dad was a great actor from the "Greatest Generation."

His son, James Whitmore Jr. Was "Gutterman" on "Baa Baa Black Sheep." He rented a hangar from a former employer I worked for about 15 years ago - got an autograph photo of him hanging in my office at work. His dad was a great actor from the "Greatest Generation."

Oh, excuse my ignorance! I knew there were two, I didn't realize Sr. died. I recognize him as well, but I don't really remembering seeing him in much. I've never watch Tora! Tora! Tora! in its entirety.

Oh, excuse my ignorance! I knew there were two, I didn't realize Sr. died. I recognize him as well, but I don't really remembering seeing him in much. I've never watch Tora! Tora! Tora! in its entirety.

whitmoresm.jpg

Senior

Jr. Below

Attachments

• james.jpg
    james.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 371

Users who are viewing this thread

Back