Japanese Flag translation Needed

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TV News story link:
Museum looks to return flag to World War II soldier - WTVA.com

Museum looks to return flag to World War II soldier

AMORY, Miss. (WTVA) - It may be hard to believe, but a rare piece of history from World War II has been part of an Amory museum.

It's a Japanese flag that belonged to an enlisted Japanese army soldier named Mr. Husaji Kogure.

Across the top of the flag, are the Chinese characters (Inoru-Buun-Chokyu) which means "We wish you longer good luck in the battlefield."

When David Trojan, a 21 year veteran with the United States Navy, first came across this Japanese Good Luck Flag he knew this item from World War II had very significant meaning.

"I recognized that right away that wow this is an interesting flag," said Trojan. "It's a real personal item. It's hard to emphasize this but its personal good wishes to a soldier who fought in Worl War II."

The Japanese flag had actually been on display at the Amory Regional Museum for about 30 years.

Thanks to the extensive work done by a military historian the plan is to return the flag to Japan to family members of the original owner.

"I have contacted the Japanese embassy in Washington," said Bo Miller, executive director of the Amory Regional Museum. "We're going to start the process of repatriating this flag. There is a bureau in Tokyo that assist with this kind of thing. So we have started that process to get this back to this man's family."

There is a chance the Amory Regional Museum might be able to hang onto the item pending the wishes of the family the flag belongs to.

"The young man I spoke to at the embassy in Washington said there is a chance that his family would not want this flag," adds Miller. "If that were the case, we could keep it in the museum but our first priority is to try and get this back to the man's family."

So for now this rare flag in remarkable shape will remain at the Museum.

The flag is believed to have been given to the Japanese soldier sometime around 1944 or 1945.

I too own a flag from my father that I would love to have translated. It doesn't have as many characters but I know it is real.

Hello all, I am new to this website, but I purchased a Japanese flag last year and ever since I have been trying to get it translated. I utilized our local university's Japanese language department, but garnered nothing from them. I was hoping that somebody would be able to help me out with this. I would like to be able to put a caption on it after it's framed. Thanks in advance for any help that may be unveiled. Eric
photo 1(2).JPG
photo 2(3).JPG
photo 3(4).JPG
photo 4(2).JPG

A neat flag.

七生報国 (Sichisyohokoku=absolute loyalty to one's country)

Right
一撃必勝 (IchigekiHissyo= a blow for victory)

Left
武運長久 (Buunchokyu=Perpetual Fortunes of War)

Center
勝 (Syo or Katsu =win)

Down-right
下田裕彦 Hirohiko Shimoda(Mr)
佐山実 Minoru Sayama(Mr)
後藤茂 Sigeru Goto(Mr)
深見洋司 Yoji Fukami(Mr)
上村明 Akira Uemura(Mr)

Down-center
力力力 (Chikara=Power x15 times)
力力力
力力力
力力力
力力力

I find no soldier's name to be honored and private messages of friends.
One person wrote all these letters.

Possibly "not of period", Capt.Vick.

Yosegaki is always group efforts and more heartful one than a certificate of commendation.
Once you may research it with the word 寄せ書き (Yosegaki), you will realize what I have mentioned better.

Yosegaki.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks very much Shinpachi. I am Jester04 as well, but they have "banned" me for "spammer entry?" I was a member less than 24hrs and boom banned already. I just wanted to know what my flag said. Again i appreciate your time. So is there any real way to tell if it's period or not?

Sorry about the trouble Jester. We are having some problems on the forum lately which includes some strange banning and combing of accounts. Glad you made it through and we're working to clean things up.

Great work Shinpachi!

You are welcome, Jester.

What I can tell you is that the flag is different from Yosegaki style.
No soldier name is fatal.
I might be wrong, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back