Japanese Flag translation Needed (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

daveT

Senior Airman
Discovered this Japanese flag in a small town museum donated by a WWII vet. I need translation of what is written on it Please. I have photographed each section of writing individually. I can email photos on request. Thanks in advance
DaveT

2012-05-15_13-40-54_316.jpg
2012-05-15_13-38-05_227.jpg
2012-05-15_13-35-31_147.jpg
2012-05-15_13-35-37_204.jpg
2012-05-15_13-37-19_766.jpg
2012-05-15_13-35-01_441.jpg
2012-05-15_13-37-30_238.jpg

This Yosegaki Flag was dedicated to Mr Husaji Kogure by his family, friends, neigbors and all others who were acquainted with him
very well before his deployment in the army. Period is unknown but estimated around 1944-1945 as the cloth condition looks good.
The Chinese characters "祈-武運-長久(Inoru-Buun-Chokyu)" means "We wish your longer good luck in the battlefield."

I have never seen such a beautiful flag like this before with so many sincere words and individual signatures wishing a soldier's good luck.

Well, that's is a rare one then, and in remarkable shape. Having volunteered at a WWII aviation museum for years, I saw a number of these come through the doors from "family members", all of them claiming to have been real and wanting a proffer of gift form (form to get a tax write-off) to donate it to the museum. None of the ones I saw were real. I'm sure that most of you have seen the websites that show shirts in Japan with words or phrases that don't make sense. Well a lot of the flags like this one floating around are the American equivalent of that, sadly. So it's good to know that there are some real ones out there, and in museums where they belong.

Thanks for the translation and verification, Shinpachi-san!

You are welcome, Eric and also Thanks for your interesting story at a WWII aviation museum.

The line A indicates the soldier - "Enlisted Husaji Kogure".
The line B interestingly shows a life insurance company salesman's name - "(Mr) Tokinosuke Masuda of Nihon Life Insurance Agency"

In my impression, Husaji Kogure was not necessarily young but probably in his 40s.
I heard there were many elder 'new' soldiers in the late of war.

2012-05-15_13-40-54_316R.jpg

You are welcome, Thor. Here are some more -

C: Wishing Husaji's longer life, a turtle cartoon by Hiroshi Yokohari and his wife Shigeko
D: "赤誠神通 - Seki Sei Shin Tsu (God will understand your best loyalty for the nation)" by Taizen Endo

C.JPG

D.JPG

I find it interesting the differences in cultures. In America, it is viewed negatively to write upon the flag, and in Japan it is viewed as god luck. I am amazed at the differences between different peoples of the world. Thanks for sharing!

Japan has no law about the flag desecration for its own but foreign flags.
This is because it has been considered a matter of course to pay respects to Hinomaru.
As long as it is based on one's good will or respect to write something on it, no one should be blamed.

Thank you very much for the translation Shinpachi-san!

Because of the translation, the museum contacted the Japanese Embassy and offered to return the flag to the family

Here is the reply received from the Japanese Embassy:

"Thank you for sending the pictures.
The information will be sent to Tokyo where the War Victims' Relief Bureau (within the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare) will research the flag and attempt to identify a potential owner.
We will certainly be in touch should somebody be found.
Thanks again for your kind offer. I too hope somebody can be found."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back