JAS 39 Gripen is growing up....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
The Future is Gripen NG
Gripen Next Generation (NG) is a fully NATO interoperable, true multi-role fighter with outstanding availability, tailored for the future Net Centric Warfare (NCW) environment. Gripen NG will meet the demanding operational requirements of the 21st Century Air Force and its unrivalled multi-role capability provides excellent tactical flexibility.

Gripen NG offers operational dominance and flexibility with superior mission survivability. Air-to-air superiority is guaranteed with METEOR, AMRAAM, IRIS-T, AIM-9X missile capability and supercruise. Air-to-surface capability is assured through the use of the lastest generation precision weapons and targeting sensors. Gripen NG's superior situation awareness is ensured through an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) radar, IRST (Infrared Search And Track) passive sensor, HMD (helmet-mounted display), cutting edge avionics, next generation data processing and a state-of-the-art cockpit.

Proven Net Centric Capabilities
These features together with proven Net Centric Capabilities, including advanced data communications, dual datalinks, satellite communications and video links, coupled with enhanced range and endurance due to increased fuel capacity and increased thrust from its powerful General Electric F414G Turbofan engine makes Gripen NG the ideal independent fighter of choice. Gripen NG offers outstanding agility and high instantaneous turn rates providing unrivalled performance in close combat. On board sensors, in combination with HMD/NVG, deliver the ability to detect and destroy a wide variety of targets, even at night or in poor weather conditions.

Built-in growth potential
State-of-the-art technology, modern materials, integrated computer systems and advanced aerodynamics have produced a high performance fighter with a very low lifecycle cost. Cost-effective, reliable, versatile and with a significant built-in growth potential, Gripen NG is both fully NATO and globally interoperable.

Gripen offers comprehensive industrial co-operation including technology transfer. We have a proven, unrivalled track record of delivering industrial co-operation programmes tailor-made to meet our customers' strategic priorities and to produce real economic growth and social value far beyond the fighter aircraft contract. A wide range of flexible alternative pricing and financing solutions are available, backed by the Swedish Government, ensuring an affordable solution.

Gripen NG Features

Netcentric Fighter
- A truly Network connected next generation multi-role fighter with the world's most highly developed secure and multi-frequency data link.

Superior Sensor Fusion
– Latest generation avionic mission system with high computation power operating on ultra fast digital data bus highways.

Smart Digital Cockpit
- An advanced fully digital cockpit layout with large colour, Multi-Functional Displays (MFD) and Hands-On-Throttle-And-Stick (HOTAS) provides the pilot with a superior situation awareness.

First to know - first to act
- A combination of low radar, IR and visual signatures, along with a state-of-the-art AESA radar, an Infra Red Search and Track (IRST) sensor and superior sensor fusion, including world leading new generation weapons integration, ensure a high hit ratio in any engagement.

Outstanding Agility
- The world's most agile fighter for close combat. A combination of advanced aerodynamic layout, utilizing
a combined close-coupled canard – delta configuration and a triplex, digital Fly-By-Wire Flight Control System (FCS). A winning Dog-Fight capability in combination with the latest generation high off-bore sight missiles and Helmet Mounted Display (HMD).

High Operational Tempo
- Gripen's high operational availability, rapid turnaround and minimal support requirements enables
sustained high sortie rates providing Commanders the ability to meet the most demanding operations with minimum resources.

Affordability
- Gripen NG achieves the lowest operating cost of any modern fighter. This is accomplished by combining advanced system design and modern commercial off the shelf (COTS) components with the highly reliable and powerful General Electric F414G engine.

Future development
- The Gripen is built to be adaptable to changing threats and operational requirements that a modern Air
Force faces.

The NG version flew last year....

Binding tenders around the world
Saab is actively marketing Gripen around the world. As of early 2009, there are binding Gripen tenders for Denmark, India, Romania, Brazil and Switzerland. In addition, Saab has responded to requests for information from Bulgaria, Croatia, and the Netherlands.

What does that mean?? :confused:

I admit that I always had a soft spot for the Grippen. I tend to view it as the next F16, with the F35, Typhoon as the F15's in the next generation of fighters. Very effective but more affordable.

With the inevitable Defence budget cuts that are on the way I wouldn't be taken aback if the UK dropped the F35 and purchased Grippens.

...there are binding Gripen tenders for Denmark, India, Romania, Brazil and Switzerland.

In addition, Saab has responded to requests for information from Bulgaria, Croatia, and the Netherlands.

What does that mean?
Probably press naivete
if the countries mentioned have been actively tendering the market for a replacement fighter and Saab's tender was approved and accepted, then to be worth the paper it was written on it would be (mutually) binding anyway. That's how I understand it, RFTs are written at the stage where things are beginning to tighten up between customer and vendor and will be used to draw up contracts (the binding bit) and specifics on issues such as a strict delivery criteria - a misjudged or poorly executed one can and usually does hurt the vendor.

Bulgaria, Croatia and the Netherlands are still at RFI stage where the customer has identified a loose fit between his requirements and what the vendor is offering. Information gathering, nothing binding at this stage of the process, useful time for the vendor to sell himself to the customer on any points he feels the customer hasn't considered.

The Gripen NG is going to look more and more attractive as the F-35, aka TFX II: The Sequel, continues its accelerating death spiral into over-priced oblivion.

Even the US Navy is getting cold feet...

USN officials raise concern about F-35 affordability

JL

Cold feet??? A bit exaggerated there don't you think????

The article is about NAVAIR's head bean counter - sure he's going to raise "concerns."

Meanwhile....

F-35B passes more flight tests | 35b, aircraft, reported - Local - ENCToday

Being Swedish this aircraft will come with all lights permanently on, a weapons warning light that reads "Are you sure you want to do this? Have you considered humanitarian negotiation?" and a voucher for 2000 SEK of Ikea bedroom furniture.

Do you think they take Mastercard?

I never use to think much of Gripen when I first saw her (static display), but live performances at the Kecskeméti airshow in 2008 changed that competely...she (and the Eurofighter Typhoon) were by far the most impressive aircraft, easily beating out the F-16s, Mirage 2000, Harrier, etc...made the F-15, F-18, and MiG-29 look like absolute dinosaurs...

Hungary uses them now too Roman, and apparently it's atleast partially to do with the stores - some of the Swedish missiles (Matra etc) for which it's capable aren't classed as being "to NATO standards" (ie, you don't buy them from America , the way I interepret it).
If what I heard is right, Hungary has to change the weapon pylon's and (possibly) some systems, and re-quip with NATO-approve hardware for them to be 'NATO compatible'...

The Grippen is an outstanding aircraft but then again look at its legacy and what has come before it. The Swedes always produce class one hardware.

With that said, the competition against the F-35 is going to come down to need and money. I could see the Grippen serving perfectly in the smaller air forces of eastern Europe where a limited range mission for a multi role fighter seems apparent. Larger countries that need to project power or take the offense hundreds or thousands of miles from home in areas where the luxury of full length runways will be void. If affordable, I see the F-35 for that role.

Just for curiousity, what's the cost per frame for the F-35 v Gripen?

Right now I show about $140 million for the F-35, $65 million for the Grippen

As of now that will be hard to establish for the F-35.

Depends what the operator wants - I think more smaller countries will go with the Grippen. I think you're going to see your larger countries go with the F-35, especially if they have received a contract to build a portion of the aircraft.

Last edited:
This is how the current NAVAIR F-35 procurement will go

Year Aircraft Average unit cost/aircraft

FY2008: 6 $184.2 million
FY2009: 8 $200.2 million
FY2010: 18 $172.3 million
FY2011: 19 $146.4 million
FY2012: 40 $124.4 million
FY2013: 42 $115.1 million
Remainder: 547 $109.3 million
Total: 680 $115 million

Right now I show about $140 million for the F-35, $65 million for the Grippen

Depends what the operator wants - I think more smaller countries will go with the Grippen. I think you're going to see your larger countries go with the F-35, especially if they have received a contract to build a portion of the aircraft.

It'll be interesting now that the cards are more or less on the table. There's still the Rafale and the Eurofighter, too. Although atm the latter is seriously handicapped imo, especially when it comes to air-to-ground capabilities.

Gripen is the oldest of the lot but probably very mature and far along as far as learning curve goes. Not surprised by the price spread.

Naturally politics will play a bigger role than capability in deciding what gets chosen. A recent Norwegian report defied common sense and logic by publicly claiming that the F-35 was cheaper than the Gripen! The only parallel I can think of was 45 years ago when US influence (possibly) or idiocy (even odds) led to a UK report that claimed that buying the F-111 (still beset by its own problems) would be cheaper than continuing with the TSR 2, despite the latter having 2 complete prototypes, a third almost complete, and component manufacture already underway for the first 40 aircraft! What a waste.

It'll be interesting now that the cards are more or less on the table. There's still the Rafale and the Eurofighter, too. Although atm the latter is seriously handicapped imo, especially when it comes to air-to-ground capabilities.

Gripen is the oldest of the lot but probably very mature and far along as far as learning curve goes. Not surprised by the price spread.

Agree....

You also have to consider how quick each manufacturer could get their product delivered and what kind of post delivery support the aircraft will have. What good is saving money on a procurement when it takes you 5 years to get a field of 40 or 50 fighters deployed or have half of them on the ground because lack of spares?

Naturally politics will play a bigger role than capability in deciding what gets chosen. A recent Norwegian report defied common sense and logic by publicly claiming that the F-35 was cheaper than the Gripen! The only parallel I can think of was 45 years ago when US influence (possibly) or idiocy (even odds) led to a UK report that claimed that buying the F-111 (still beset by its own problems) would be cheaper than continuing with the TSR 2, despite the latter having 2 complete prototypes, a third almost complete, and component manufacture already underway for the first 40 aircraft! What a waste.

True as well, and those countries who have a piece of the F-35 will face the pressure to procure the aircraft as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back