Jasenovac - Cruelest Death Camp (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Germans were not the only ones to do such things, just the only ones to be honest about it. There is not a drop of German blood in me so no bias on my part.

The people of the Balkans remember only too well. During the Balkan war the Serbs referred openly to the Croats as " Ustaše", an obvious allusion to the WW2 regime that ran that camp.
Cheers
Steve

Most Balkan ethnic groups dislike/hate the Serbs. So I suspect Serbia was at least as bad.

Certainly not in WW2 and not even in the latest Balkan war. Please, don't make such remarks about things you don't understand or don't have sufficient knowledge of.

Last edited:
Not in any way going into politics here, but I can't think of ANY country, that do not, in any way, shape or form, have some skeletons hidden in their closet...
Balkans has had their fair share of bloody history, for one reason or another, old grudges and what not, which came up to the surface in WWII, before that in the later Balkan War of the 90's....
I do hope, that after this last conflict, they've sorted them out, the countries, the PEOPLE deserve that....it's a beautiful part of the world.

Ok, who's next up on the soapbox?

Ignore....sometimes it's not worth it.

Steve

Last edited:
I remember reading (I think in Beevor's history of WW2) that many German officers were horrified at the brutality of their allies (iirc, he specified Romanians) on the Eastern front.

Post-war, Yugoslavia under Tito probably buried the crimes of the Ustaše (and possibly the perpetrators) in the name of national unity.

I remember the skeletons that came out of these camps in 1992/93. It will be impossible to talk about what happened in World War Two without it leading on to what happened in the early 90's and it is not for us to discuss these matters as they have been dealt with as much as they ever will be. Please lock this thread.

I need not tell anyone here that the genocidal murders of the nazis and their allies during World War II were neither novel nor the last of their kind.

I need not tell anyone here that the genocidal murders of the nazis and their allies during World War II were neither novel nor the last of their kind.
Sadly true. As long as man has been able to hold a rock, he's done terrible things to his neighbor.

One day, hopefully, people will have enough of that and decide to all get along.

I don't expect to see this happen anytime soon, though :(

Hmmm.... dangerous ground to tread on, for sure.

For me, personally, the film comes across as propaganda; it seems to date from the Tito years. No one interviewed is identified, so its very difficult to know their credentials (for lack of a better word). They also seem too young for the filming to have taken place since Tito's time. The language used also reminds me of "communist-speak": use (and over-use) of words such as "criminal," for example. The wiki article (yeah, I know) "Catholic Church and Nazi Germany" paints a somewhat different picture, though certain elements and persons of the Church were very guilty (but, then, this happened in just about all occupied countries and in Germany itself. The Vatican may have a lot to answer for re: relations with Nazi Germany but actually condoning the Death Camps in any occupied state is not one of them. The Ratlines are another matter entirely.

That being said, there's still no question that this place was a man-made hell on earth.

(I'm probably gonna regret posting this.)

Those death camps were real and documented.

That's not what I meant. I was merely expressing how rapidly emotional discussions on this topic can get. I am sadly very aware of, for lack of a better word, of how collaboration from multiple parties in Eastern Europe aided the Shoah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back