Kit Mustang goes for a tumble at Reno

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

non-pilot asking questions - i've watched the video several times and it looks to me like he came in perpendicular to the runway and hit the edge berm which bounced him into the air. i can also see that the prop is not turning so i understand no power, i.e. "dead stick" was he lined up properly with the runway or did he just bring it down with few options as to where
He was dead sitck and landed into a 15knot cross wind from what I was told. He was trying to do a wheels landing and seemed to get airborne again and came down hard then cartwheeled.

FBJ, that's a pretty decent wind and cross-ways to boot, is that enough to turn the plane 90 degrees into the edge berm? especially with no power to compensate?

I got these today from the Eberhardt crew, Merlin's Magic P-51D and Archimedes T-6. They are copyrighted.

Attachments

• !cid_image001_jpg@01CB5B51.jpg
    [email protected]
    41.2 KB · Views: 90
  • !cid_image002_jpg@01CB5B51.jpg
    [email protected]
    31.2 KB · Views: 90
  • !cid_image003_jpg@01CB5B51.jpg
    [email protected]
    30.7 KB · Views: 89
  • !cid_image004_jpg@01CB5B51.jpg
    [email protected]
    31 KB · Views: 88
Kit plane or NO kit plane-as a pilot I don't know of ANY AIRPLANE EVER MADE that would survive having a wing tip DUG into the ground like that Thunder Mustang. Airplanes are wonderful, magical inventions but they were never designed to plow up ground and survive!!!!

Better to start destructing than to stay in one piece. If it hadn't had the airframe breaking apart on impact, the G-forces of the impact and tumble most likely would have killed the pilot. That being said, looking at the pictures of it coming apart still makes it amazing that anyone survived that.

Better to start destructing than to stay in one piece. If it hadn't had the airframe breaking apart on impact, the G-forces of the impact and tumble most likely would have killed the pilot. That being said, looking at the pictures of it coming apart still makes it amazing that anyone survived that.

This comment is dead on in all respects. The airframe was absorbing and shedding energy as it started breaking up. IMO he was too slow for enough aileron/rudder control to compensate for the crosswind lift on the upwind wing - and he had zero altitude for any recovery... lucky gentleman

Exactly Bill! When he landed he had at least a 20 knot (If not more) crosswind. When the wreck came to a stop it was basically a firewall and cockpit bulkhead. As stated, he made it to the banquet that night!

I am really THANKFUL that the pilot was uninjured and no spectators were hurt. There have been far too many tragedies recently in air racing.

I am really THANKFUL that the pilot was uninjured and no spectators were hurt.

FYI - the crash of this aircraft happened quite a distance from spectators, I'd say at least 1/4 mile away

There have been far too many tragedies recently in air racing.
We know the tragedy of this year all too well but aside from that it's been relatively safe for spectators although 2007 wasn't a good year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back