La France ! greetings from l'Omnivore

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

l'Omnivore Sobriquet

Airman 1st Class
Jun 16, 2013
deep France
Salut à tous.

I've been browsing this website for quite a long time now, and it is fine, and it is rich.
Jumping in.

I'm 47 and have been an aviation enthousiast all the way from childhood. Learned English at school, but practiced it reading aviation books and magazines.

I have a special like on WWII aviation, or "of the 1937-1946 era" as I say. Classic, from DC-2 first line schedules to 1st flight of the F-84.
I'd define myself as 'quite knowlegeable' on the topic, with good overall judgment, but certainly no expert. Every country, any kind of airplanes. A lot of love and interest, best garantees for renewed culture there.

Not too bad on the Nachjagd vs Bomber Command issues, and have an automatic like of late-war American production. Also keeping a decent book on everything French, which could be handy, here, apparently a guns 'n banana-hamburger dominated forum...
If you want to spice your interest in French aviation, i'd strongly advice the 1946-1958 'rebirth' period, with quite a lot a free creativity, and a definite flavour of 'sky high optimism' similar to late war Germany's "fuite en avant." (i.e. "flee from the front end", a gamble to outsmart opposition by over-playing the innovation card, or simply overdoing one's current trend beyond reasonnable limits.)

I'm no 'internet ranting rat', like surprises, and appreciate to be proven wrong eventually.

Current avatar is a mid 20th century picture from Parisian painter "Mathieu". It has no tittle as far as I know.

Don't like afaik, imho ... acronyms, and profoundly hate smileys.

Last edited:
Bonjour, monseigneur,

Saw a display yesterday od two Mirage 2000's of the French airforce. Great aircraft, and quite impressive.

WElcome to the forum! Don't like smileys? Well, that just won't do. Smileys are very....theres one now!....:p ...they are very easy ....:cry: ....ok and another one......very easy in trying to....:oops: ...ok, thats nice but.....:D.....wait, its getting a little bit....:arrow:....ok stop it now.....:!: ....just stop....:?:....I SAID STOP IT!!!.....:lol:....you're right, I hate smileys!....:rolleyes:

Ah ah !

@ Lucky Treize : ".., love them Mirage III's!"
Love the Draken too !
(In my book, the one successful 'volksjäger' of all times..)

True! One of my alltime favourite jets! One thing that sparked my love and interest in the Mirage III, is the French, I think it was, comic....three or four friends and pilots, in the French Air Force....can't remember the name now....:oops: :lol:

Bonjour mon ami.
Welcome aboard from another EU member country. :)
We love France and will be travelling to the south in a few weeks time.
Can't wait
Cheers
John

Lucky Treize : "Tanguy et Laverdure."

In cartoons, but there was a 60's television serial as well, popular and spanning a few years. I even saw some 'rediffs' as a boy. ("Les chevaliers du ciel" it was then called, i.e. "sky knights.")

Wouldn't dare to imagine what name they inflicted on them in Swedish, though...

Last edited:
Will have a look when visiting my family in July/August mon ami!
Not sure if they were in Swedish or English....
Would have loved to see TV series!

A votre service :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vID8NYQYP0I

And another one :
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1sSs_1nr0A

Not very good though... They're split in 2 parts. Make sure you watch the final ones with Johhny Halliday's loud singing of the closing tune (...)

Typical De Gaulle, pre-1968 France...

Tanguy et Laverdure, read those books as well. Don't have them anymore, though.

Here the French airforce on Dutch soil, eh air this weekend:
img_2849.jpg

img_2853.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back