Lancaster Vs. B-24

Which was the better WWII bomber?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Glider said:
Concord's did a number of barrel roles. They wanted to do it at an air display, Farnborough?) but were banned because they didn't want to worry potential passengers. So I don't see why a C130 couldn't do it. If done well the G forces are very low.

It can and has done it. Ive seen a C-130 do a Barrel Roll in England. What FBJ is talking about is continual exposure doing it over and over. It puts a lot of stress on the wings and structure.

just about any a/c could loop or barrel roll they are not hi g maneuvers 2-3 gs however neither maneuver would be of any advantage in escaping a fighter in fact they would be more vulnerable i would assume because of loss of maneuvering speed is there any info on idling 2-3 engines and use of rudder which would be a fine task for co pilot to assist in

Agree, I know the Lanc dived pretty well, I wold use full power and dive....

i was fortunate enough to talk to 2 pilots today 1 flew b24 in CBI the other a 2 tour halifax guy and the guy in the Halifax says the most important crew member was a good tail gunner who would be able to direct him where to go and a good tail gunner at night was one that didn't fire his weapons unless he was under attack the reason being was not to draw attention to the A/C he recalled flying in formation with a ju88 for about 5 minutes the 88 did not see him and he did not want to do anything fancy that might attract the 88's attention including firing any weapons. His favourite tactic was to drop everything from gear to flaps cut power and hope the guy overshot

pbfoot you bring up an interesting point the Ju 88 flying behind the RAF heavy and not firing. this is quite feasible that the pilot and crew wre on theri first mission as it has been admitted to me on several occassions. you can bet the Ju 88G saw the Lanc and was probably watching.

the tail gunner and you have proven it with the crewmans words was the all important EYE.

thank you for the short summary, maybe we can get you to go back for a further interview possibly ?? would loe to hear more from this gent and even the B-24 guy if this is possible ?

dang fingers..........

another short note and to be breif but both in the Lanc and Halibag, the tail gunners would allow the German nf's to get as close as possible within reason and then fly with the .303's in the cockpit if possible. Definately a nasty cat and mouse game ..............

no this particular meeting the 88 was about 100 metres at tbe 4 0 clock he just never saw the halifax the same gent said he lost about 4ft of his starboard wing to an 88 with the schrage on another occasion I'll try my best to talk again

Good info.

that far back, interesting still that the Ju 88 pilot to did force the situation as the hali would of been picked up on radar and then a visual set in. the Ju 88 pilot may have been even fear struck...........one never knows again on the weirdness of evening missions.

again would love to hear more.

E

having worked radar all sorts of things can affect it and considering that this was the early stage off radar the gains could have been turned down or the set was U/S or just sitting in a blind spot or atmospherics or any multitude of things

Just an idle wonder: if the B-24 and the Lancaster were to switch production facilities, would we have seen 18,000 Lancasters produced, or one made every hour, given a similar level of manpower and supply?

Jabberwocky said:
Just an idle wonder: if the B-24 and the Lancaster were to switch production facilities, would we have seen 18,000 Lancasters produced, or one made every hour, given a similar level of manpower and supply?

There is no doubt in my mind that could of been done! It's commendable that the 7500 Lancs were built considering the conditions endured by the UK during WW2...

Probably could have built that many.

But only putting out 7500 Lancs isnt much of an achievement at all. The Germans showed that production could be decentralized and yet output could go way up.

Either the UK production engineers werent daring enough to think of ways to boost production, or maybe the RAF was wasting its aviation production capability on trying to build too many different types of planes.

Users who are viewing this thread