Latest VC recipient

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildcat

Major
Apr 11, 2005
South East Queensland
Trooper Mark Donaldson has today became the latest Australian to be awarded a VC, the first since the Vietnam war.
Australian digger Trooper Mark Donaldson awarded Victoria Cross for heroic gallantry

His VC citation reads -
From Sky News: Full text of Donaldson VC citation

I read he is the first recipient of the VC from any nation in over 40 years. As a mark of respect he was saluted by the Chief Of the Defence Forces, Angus Houston, our highest ranking officer.

He is a member of one of the most exclusive clubs in the world, with only 10 other surviving recipients alive in the world today.

True to Australian style, Trooper Donaldson does not believe he is a hero, just a mate, doing what mates do

He can be my friend anytime

B****y marvellous! He deserves all the praise he can shoulder, as well as the 'Cross. And, he is still alive to recieve it, which is almost unusual for a V.C. recipient.

IIRC There have been 3 recipients of the VC since the War on Terror began. The Aussie SASR Trooper, a Kiwi SASR Trooper, and a Brit Squaddie earned one in Iraq as well.

Footnote: My Great-Great Uncle earned a VC as a Blenheim Pilot during WW2. He also lived to recieve his award.

Users who are viewing this thread