Letka 13 also known as 13.(Slow)/JG 52

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sprichst Du auch Deutsch? If yes, here´s a very interesting interview with Günther Rall...very fresh.

Well, I do have limited knowledge of German language, but I'm afraid that it is beyond my ability to understand or translate any German text (including this one) without an extensive use of a dictionary.

Besides, this is little off-topic since Rall wasn't a Slovak pilot. :lol: 8)

Liked the interview with Režňák, always did wondered about Slovak pilots on the Russian front. Thanks for the info guys.

Imalko, you live in Vojvodina? Where exactly? I'm in Novi Sad. :)

Well, I do have limited knowledge of German language, but I'm afraid that it is beyond my ability to understand or translate any German text (including this one) without an extensive use of a dictionary.

Besides, this is little off-topic since Rall wasn't a Slovak pilot. :lol: 8)

I know Günther is not Slovak but this interview is very interesting.
Well, I´ll post a new thread about it and let´s see if someone will try to translate it...I´d like to but really don´t have enough time...

To complete our story about Ján Režňák here is a short biography of this top scoring Slovak fighter pilot written by Jozef Bystrický and Peter Šumichrast and translated from Slovak language by imalko.
(Note: I added some interesting details, which wasn't part of the original text).

Ján Režňák, born on 14th April 1919 at Jablonica, was the most successfull Slovak fighter pilot of WW2 with 32 confirmed air victories. In 1938 he took flying lessons within the action "1000 new pilots..." Member of the prewar Czechoslovak Air Force. In 1942 he completed training on Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters at Gröve in Dennmark. As a memeber of 13th squadron (Letka 13) he served two tours of duty on Eastern front in 1941 and 1942-43. During this time he flew combat sorties on Avia Bk.534 biplanes (in 1941) and Messerschmitts Bf 109E, F, G-2 and G-4 (in 1942-43). After his return from the front he became member of so called Readiness Flight (Hotovostný roj) - established in summer 1943 and equiped with 4 Bf 109E fighters for home defense dutyes. After the return of entire Letka 13 from the front and its reorganisation to the Readiness squadron for home defense (Pohotovostna letka), Režňák rejoined his old unit. In may 1944 Letka 13 was equiped with brand new Messerschmitts Bf 109G-6, which Režňák considered to be the best of all fighter aircrafts he flew during the war. Režňák didn't took part in the ill-fated action of Slovak fighters on 26th June (see interview in one of previous posts for details). He also haven't participated in Slovak national uprising but remained in regular Slovak army.
In the years 1945-1948 Režňák was a member of postwar Czechoslovak Air Force. In February 1948 he was discharged from the Army. In 1950 he was deprived of his rank of Rotmajster in reserve. On 1st January 1997 Minister of Defence of Slovak Republic exeptionaly promoted him to the rank of Lieutenant of Air Force in Reserve. Ján Režňák passed away on 19th September 2007 at the age of 88.

Here are some pictures: Režňák in the cockpit of Bk.534 in 1941 and in the cockpit of Bf 109G "Yellow 10" in the spring 1943.

Pictures from books "Slovenske letectvo 1939-1944 Vol. 1 and 2".

Attachments

• 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 0002.jpg
    0002.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 214
Messerschmitt Bf 109G-4, W.Nr. 19347, Yellow 9, is one of the best known machines of 13.(Slow)/JG 52. Ján Režňák shoot down 7 Soviet planes flying this aircraft.
The paint scheme on this aircraft was factory standard for that period, only upper engine cowling was painted overall with some darker paint (probably RLM 74) with irregular patches of lighter color (RLM 75?). Plane carried yellow fuselage band, lover engine cowling and lover wingtips indicating Eastern theatre of operations. Tip of the propeler spinner was painted with white-blue-red rings (Slovak national colors) - a recognition feature of 13.(Slowak)/JG 52.
Čatnik L.Dobrovodský later defected to the Soviets with this plane. According to some historians it was Anton Matušek who defected to the Red Army flying this machine.

Pictures and illustration from Htmodel Špecial No. 903 and No. 912, artists Václav Hochmuth, Jozef And'al and Tomáš Poruba.

Attachments

• 0004.jpg
    0004.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 0003.jpg
    0003.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 216
Ján Režňák (32 kills) and Izidor Kovárik (28 kills) were two top scoring Slovak fighter pilots and only ones decorated with high German medal Deutsches Kreuz in Gold, which was presented to them by Gen.Lt. Ludwig Keiper (chief of Luftwaffemission in Slowakei) on 25th April 1944.

On the picture far bellow: Kovárik (left), Keiper (middle) and Režňák (right).

Pictures from book "Letka 13 v dokumentoch a obrazoch" published by Magnet Press Slovakia in 2004.

Attachments

• 0007.jpg
    0007.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 0006.jpg
    0006.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 196
... and the last picture: Aspirant MUDr Dubay (medical officer of Letka 13) reading an article about Režňák (with Režňák's photo on the cover) in Army newspaper "Vzdušna flota Juhovychod" (Luftflotte Sudost) at airfield Anapa. Behind him stands Messerschmitt Bf 109G "Yellow 8". Photo taken at Anapa in June 1943.

Picture from HTmodel Špecial No. 912

Attachments

• 0005.jpg
    0005.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Great stuff imalko! I love reading about other heroes from other air forces.

I may do his 'Gelb 9' for the Eastern Front Group Build when we get there.

Thanks!

Do you have any other pics of his plane? It looks like that 'Gelb 8' had a yellow tailfin - maybe his did too?

Hi Njaco!

I have found only one more picture of Režňák's "Yellow 9". If I find some more I will post them as well.

According to my sources Slovak Bf 109G's didn't have yellow rudders. So, this last picture may be deceptive and rudder of "Yellow 8" just appear to be yellow becouse of the angle of light in the photo.

There were yellow rudders of some Slovak Emils however...

As before, picture is from HTmodel Špecial No. 912.

Attachments

• 049.jpg
    049.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 234
Written by Jozef Bystrický and Peter Šumichrast
Translated by imalko

Continuing with biographies of leading Slovak pilots here is a life story of Major Ondrej Ďumbala, who wasn't an ace by number of air victories achieved (he shoot down only one Soviet fighter plane), but who as the first commander of 13th squadron on Eastern front deserves a mention. He was distinguished officer, great pilot and leader loved by his men. He served his country with honor, joined Slovak National Uprising and ended his life tragically at Mauthausen Concentration camp

Ondrej Ďumbala, born on 25th November 1912, was a first commander of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 on the Eastern front. In prewar Czechoslovak army he finished School for officers of Infantry in Reserve (in 1934), Military Academy at Hranice na Morave (in 1936) and became qualified fighter pilot. At that time he served in Letka 37 Leteckeho pluku 3 (37th fighter squadron 3rd aviation regiment). After the creation of indenpendent Slovak State (fallowing the dissolution of Czechoslovakia after Munich Agreement) in March 1939 he became commander of Letka 37.(Note: New army of independent Slovakia at first retained all aviation units in their original prewar designation, and only some time later units were reorganised and renamed).

As a commander of new Letka 13, Ďumbala completed training in Germany at flight fighter school "Sclessheim A Schulle Klagenfurt" in period January-March 1940. He also completed training on Messerschmitt Bf 109 fighters with group of selected Slovak pilots at Gröve in Dennmark in period February-July 1942. He participated in defense of Slovakia from Hungarian agression in spring of 1939, then in attack on Poland in September 1939 and finally in two tours of duty on the Eastern front in 1941 and 1942-1943. In January 1943 he shoot down one Soviet fighter plane. After return from the Eastern front he was in turn appointed to several command duties. He was decorated with many Slovak medals and decorations and with Iron Cross 1st and 2nd Class as well.

Ďumbala joined National Uprising in fall 1944 where he was appointed deputy commander of Flight Group of 1st Czechoslovak Army in Slovakia. After Germans suppressed the Uprising, he joined Partisan movement but was arrested by the Gestapo at town Hybe under unknown circumstances. He was imprisoned at Liptovsky Mikulaš, Ružomberok and Bratislava. After that probably send to Mauthausen Concentration camp. He was officially declared dead on 28th March 1945.

All pictures are from HTmodel Špecial No. 912.
Color profiles by artist Ing. Jozef Anďal.

Attachments

• X_01.jpg
    X_01.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Ondrej Ďumbala, commander of 13th squadron, in cockpit of Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4 "White 1". On the wing stands K.Sojček, commander of Aviation Regiment. The photo was probably taken at Piešťany in late summer 1942, after return of 13th squadron personel from training in Germany and before departure to the Eastern front.

First examples of Bf 109E fighters were delivered to SVZ in July 1942. Slovak Emills remained in German camouflage colors as they were delivered, but many planes showed traces of overpainting of earlier Luftwaffe tactical markings. Similary to the Luftwaffe in the Eastern theatre of operations, SVZ adopted as standard yellow reckognition markings on its planes in form of yellow fuselage band and yellow outboard underwing pannels. Some Emills had also a yellow ruder.

Attachments

• X_05.jpg
    X_05.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 258
  • X_04.jpg
    X_04.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 258
Major Ďumbala in cockpit of Bf 109G-4 "Yellow 12". Picture taken in July 1943. This aircraft carried standard camouflage of the period, with yellow fusselage band and underwing pannels and white-blue-red "rings" on propeler sppiner as feature of 13.(Slow)/JG 52. Traces of overpainted earlier code letters were visible under yellow number 12 on the fuselage.

It is interesting to point out that Slovak pilots didn't have "personal" aircraft, but flew whatever aircraft was avalilable at that moment. This is main reason why even top scoring pilots never painted victory markings on aircrafts.

Attachments

• X_06.jpg
    X_06.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 273
  • X_07.jpg
    X_07.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 268
  • X_08.jpg
    X_08.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 288
And the last photo... Courier R.Kollár (left), chief machanik R.Nerád (middle) and commander Ondrej Ďumbala (right), with Bf 109G "Yellow 10" in the backround. Photo was taken at Anapa in April 1943.

Attachments

• X_09.jpg
    X_09.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 243
After 13.(Slow)/JG 52 was reequipped with Bf 109G fighters, number of air victories achieved by pilots of Slovak Staffel rose rapidly and 50th air victory for this unit was achieved by Lt. Ján Gerthofer on 21st March 1943. On this occasion Slovak fighters received many compliments. Among others, leader of 13th squadron Ondrej Ďumbala received a telegram from Goering:

"I was informed that fighter squadron under your leadership achieved 50 air victories in short period of time in common combat against bolshevik enemy. This great success of brave Slovak fighters, who proved themselves in harsh winter battles on southern sector of Eastern front, brings me great joy. You and all members of your Staffel have my gratitude and my personal acknowledgment, with wishes for further soldiers luck."
Hermann Goering
Reichsmarschall of Great German Reich​

Here is a copy of this telegram as printed in book "Letka 13 v dokumentoch a obrazoch" published by Magnet Press, Slovakia in 2004:

Attachments

• X_10.jpg
    X_10.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 309
Text from Osprey's "Slovakian And Bulgarian Aces of WW2"

After a while here's an update to the history of 13.(Slow)/JG 52 with biography of Izidor Kovárik, second ranking ace of Letka 13, who fought gallantly on the eastern front and destroyed 28 Soviet aricraft, only to die in his native country while flying a Go 145 biplane trainer...

Born on 29 March 1917 in Kopčany, Izidor Kovárik was the son of a carpenter. Joining the air force in the late 1930s, he and his great friend Režňák graduated from pilot training together. Assigned to 11th Squadron (Letka 11) in December 1939, Kovárik fought on the eastern front between June and September 1941, when his squadron supported operations against partisans in the Zhitomir and Ovruc areas. He flew eight combat sorties in B.534s during this time, strafing and bombing enemy forces.

Kovárik's second tour in the East began in October 1942 with first front team of Letka 13, but flying Praga E.241 liaison aircraft rather than fighters. He eventually started flying Bf 109Es and soon claimed 28 confirmed kills in combat over Caucasus and Kuban - 9 LaGG-3s, 6 Yak-1s, 6 I-16s, two I-153s, two Il-2s and single MiG-3, DB-3 and Boston. His most successful day came on 29 May 1943 when he shot down four Yak-1s. Kovárik was shot down just once, on 14 March 1943, while returning with Režňák from a ground attack mission during which he had expended all his ammunition. Režňák attacked a formation of DB-3 bombers and shot down one. Kovárik also attacked the Soviet formation to draw some of the defensive fire away from Režňák, despite his magazines being empty. His Bf 109G-2 (WkNr 10473) was hit and he had to force land in a swamp near Akhtanizovskaya. The aircraft was destroyed but he escaped uninjured.

Kovárik recieved many decorations, inculding Slovakian Silver Medal of Military Victory Cross, the Silver Military merit Cross, The Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals for Heroism, the German Iron Cross 1st and 2nd class, Ehrenpokal and the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold. Like Režňák, he too was promoted to the rank of Zastavnik.

Upon returning to Slovakia, Kovárik served with the Readiness squadron (Pohotovostna letka) until April 1944, when he was transfered as an instructor to the Slovak Air Arms' flying school at Tri Duby. He died on 11 July 1944 shortly before the uprising when, during a training flight, the wing of his Gotha Go 145 biplane broke off for unexplained reasons and the aircraft crashed near Tri Duby. Both Kovárik and his student were killed.

Attachments

• x_01.jpg
    x_01.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Pictures from Osprey's "Slovakian And Bulgarian Aces of WW2"

Attachments

• x_02.jpg
    x_02.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 266
  • x_03.jpg
    x_03.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
This Gustav displays standard Luftwaffe camouflage comprising RLM 74/75/76 with yellow fuselage bands and wingtips. Not being Slovak property - they were only 'leased' from the Luftwaffe - the aircraft had German national insignia. The only indication of the operator's nationality were white-blue-red Slovak colors on the propeller spinner. Aside being flown by 28-kill ace Izidor Kovárik, "Yellow 1" was also used by ace Vladimir Kriško. (Info from Osprey's "Slovakian and Bulgarian Aces of WW2")

Top profile from HT model Špecial Publication.

Profile of this same aircraft Bf 109G "Yellow 1" was published also in "JAGDWAFFE Vol 4 Sect 3 - War in Russia (Nov 1942 - Dec 1943)", but the artist made an mistake showing the coloured rings on the spinner in wrong order. It should be white-blue-red and not white-red-blue as depicted. Underside wingtips are also shown as not being painted yellow.

Attachments

• x_04.jpg
    x_04.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 242
  • x_05.jpg
    x_05.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back