Lieutenant Commander Roger W. Mehle

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Rich,

I considered the small $10 cost for this report as a research Fee. I have the report and it is just as You said, The only new info is the aircraft serial number.

Also in ' F6F Hellcat Detail and Scale' by Bert Kinzey, is a interview whith David McCampbell. He states that as CAG of Air Group 15 Essex CV9, he was the only one who had is own aircraft, and the same plane captian the entire time. Additionally he always launched first.

This was probaly not true on a much more crowded CVL.

If You think of any source let me know.

Many Thanks

Bob Wescott

Roger William Mehle was my father... he retired in 1970 at the grade of Rear Admiral, USN (Upper half).

If I can be of assistance to you please let me know.

Chuck Mehle
Colonel, US Army, Retired
Virginia Beach, VA

[email protected]

Hello Chuck,

My name is Bob Wescott. My father served on USS MONTEREY CVL-26 during 1950-51 when she was a pilot training ship (ATV-2) as a photographers mate. I'm preparing to build a 1/350 scale model of MONTEREY as she was fitted for the Mariana Islands Campaign. I would like to know if You have any photos of Your father and his F6F Hellcat during his time onboard.

Thank You for any information that You can provide.

Bob Wescott
Pittsgrove, NJ

This is true... In fact, I have his ripcord from his parachute that he kept ever since this event. Dad was ultimately rescued by a smaller ship and refused to give him back to the carrier until they traded him for several gallons of ice cream.

Dad's recounting of this shoot down was interesting to say the least.

Chuck Mehle
Colonel, US Army
Aviation

Thanks Crow... By the way, I was an Army Special Electronic Mission Aircraft pilot for 30 years... Retired as a Colonel.

I flew Grumman OV-1Ds and Guardrail as well as Hueys and OH-58's on the helicopter side of the house.

If your Old Crow name means you are an ELINT'er, I am in that crowd as well.

Chuck

Thanks Crow... By the way, I was an Army Special Electronic Mission Aircraft pilot for 30 years... Retired as a Colonel.

I flew Grumman OV-1Ds and Guardrail as well as Hueys and OH-58's on the helicopter side of the house.

If your Old Crow name means you are an ELINT'er, I am in that crowd as well.

Chuck

Where were you based out of?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back