List of Portuguese airplanes in WWII era

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Luis Miguel Almeida

Airman 1st Class
Feb 29, 2008
Montijo - Portugal
Manufacturer/ model and version - quantity - Arm
Potez 25-A2 - 8 - Army
OGMA Potez 25-A2 - 27 - Army
OGMA Vickers Valparaiso III - 20 - Army
Junkers K.43-W - 5 - Navy
Fleet F.10-B - 8 - Navy
Fleet F.10-G - 8 - Navy
De Havilland D.H.82 - 11 - Army
De Havilland D.H.82 Tiger Moth - 9 - Army
Avro 631 Cadet - 1 - Army
Caproni Ca-100 Caproncine - 1 - Army
Caproni Ca.113 - 1 -Army
Hawker Fury I - 3 -Army
Hawker Osprey III - 8 -Navy
Avro 626 - 14 -Army
General-Aircraft ST.12 Monospar - 1 -Navy
Hawker Hind - 4 -Army
De Havilland DH84 Dragon II - 3 -Army
Junkers Ju/3mge(Ju-52K) - 10 - Army
Junkers ju-86-K7 - 10 - Army
Gloster Gladiator II - 30 -Army
OGMA-De Havilland D.H.82A Tiger Moth - 91 -Army
OGMA - Avro 626 - 17 -Army
Avro 626 - 12 -Navy
Breda Ba.65 A80 - 10 -Army
Grumman G.21B - 12 -Navy
Fleet F.16D - 15 -Navy
Curtiss-Hawk75-A4 Mohawk IV - 15 -Army
Miles Master II - 4 -Army
Miles Master III - 10 -Army
Miles Martinet T.T.1 - 7 -Army
Airspeed Oxford I - 6 -Army
Bell P-400 Airacobra - 15 -Army
Bell P-39L Airacobra - 4 -Army
Lockeed P-38G Lightning - 1 -Army
Grumman G.44 Widgeon - 12 -Navy
De Havilland D.H.82-A Tiger Moth - 30 -Navy
Miles Martinet T.T.1 - 3 -Navy
Airspeed Oxford I - 12 -Navy
Hawker-Hurricane II-b +
Hawker-Hurricane II-c - 142 -Army
Westland Lysander III-a - 8 -Army
Supermarine Spitfire I-a - 18 -Army
Supermarine Spitfire V-b +
Supermarine Spitfire LF-V-b - 93 -Army
Bristol Blenheim IV-L - 10 -Army
Bristol Blenheim V - 4 -Army/Navy
Bristol Blenheim IV-F - 12 -Army
Short Sunderland I - 1 -Navy
Vickers Wellington X - 2 -Army
Consolidated B-24D Liberator - 3 -Army
Consolidated B-24J Liberator - 1 -Army
Consolidated B-24D (A.S.)Liberator - 2 -Army
Lockheed Hudson III/IIIA and IV - 3 -Army
Bristol Beaufighter X - 17 -Navy

A few years ago I read that the Lisbon museum (I think it was Lisbon) still had a number of JU-52 in storage. They could have been a locally made copy, but there was pictures of 3-4 of them standing around looking for love.

I never understood why museums would have stockpile aircraft, that they never get around to restore. Surely they could use them for trade, or a lend to restore agreement.

Does anyone know if they still are around?

Hi Luis,

Good job :D :D :D .Very interesting list of these aircraft.Did these planes wear any particular camo pattern or not? You know I'm interesting in fighters planes.:D

Hello,
here I leave you two photos, of a Junkers Ju 52, when was taken away in the Air Base 6 of the Montijo, and of a Beaufighter. These two aeroplanes were of the Portuguese Air Force.

Attachments

• ba6 009.jpg
    ba6 009.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 572
  • ba6 010.jpg
    ba6 010.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 510
Did they all went into service before VE day? Or is it a list of WWII time planes regardless of the service years?

Was the high number of Hurricanes and Spitfires to compensate for the use of Azores bases?

Thanks in advance

Max

Hi guys!
I will try to answer all questions, the best i can!
some of this planes were interned or captured to ally forces
We prefer the term interned!
The spitfires and hurricanes were delivered to our army has paiment for the use of the Azores base, but also other planes in the list!
And has for the Ju-52 2 are being restored 1 for static display and one that can fly, for the others i don´t know at this time but i can check for more info!
All planes in the list entered service before the end of the war

Hi,

Great Luis, all infos on your national AF are gratefully welcome.:D

i will try to post some photos soon!
Wurger, what info on the Beau do you need?
By the way i can only send you the things i promissed wednesday, i have no printer working until tomorrow! Sorry!

Here is some part of history, from wwII!
Has you all know, Portugal was a neutral country, but in a very complicated position.
The portuguese govern, was a bit simillar to the German, Itallian and Spanish, with very good relations with those, but we were the British oldest ally!
That didn´t left mush choice!
Portugal and Spain made a Pact to not invade each other and to thefend together the Peninsula against any probable invader before the begining of the war!
Since the Spanish suport the Reich, we couldn`t support openly the allys, so we staid neutral at some extend!
At some point after Franco asked Hitler for military support to invade Portugal and our African colonies (hitler denied this support) and the Americans start to plan invasion of the Azores, this was prevented wizelly By our British Allys, wish trade aircraft for the use of the base, has also the supply of Volframio (Radioactive component to make bombs) and other suplies!
The interned planes were to stay in Portuguese use has part of paiment, and not to be destroid by there crews, the ones that destroy them if could manage to escape were returned to our country to serve time until the end of the war!
There was no intention to the Portuguese and ally forces to let our country enter the war, today there are still many unexplained political manouvers that are not explained!

Expensive Wurger, because I know, received the Portuguese Navy from March of 1945, 17 Beaufighter TF Mk X to equip his Naval Aviation.

more a few images what it had here

and one photo of Spitfire :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 687
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 292
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 455
  • spitfire.jpg
    spitfire.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 890
Hallo Luis,

i will try to post some photos soon!
Wurger, what info on the Beau do you need?
By the way i can only send you the things i promissed wednesday, i have no printer working until tomorrow! Sorry!

I would appreciate it if you could tell me whether the Beau was interned or Portuguese AF bought the plane after the war.What mark was the plane of? How long Beaufighters were in service.

As far as you promesse is concerned , you'll send these things if you can.I can wait.Thanks a lot.:D :wave:

Hallo Damieas,

more a few images what it had here

and one photo of Spitfire :)

Cool Damieas mate.These colour profiles look very interesting.THX for them and infos you 've posted.:
What can tell me about the Beau wiith green-red rudder in the second profile? Is the aircraft of the same squadron like the last one?

Hi wurger!
The Beaufigther TFX entered service in March 1945, except for the one numbered BF17, that entered in 26/4/1946 to substitut the BF4 that was lost in accident!
All beau were recieved has payment for the use of Azores island has base for the allies, except the BF17, they were operated by the Portuguese Navy not air force!
Has for the 2 profile do you mean the BF17 or BF10?
You can`t see in the profile but the BF17 is the only with the thimble nose and increased fin area

Users who are viewing this thread

Back