Looking for an Airfix 1/72nd Super Connie for HARS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
It's been suggested to me that we have a model of our our display aircraft. The Super Connie would be one of the first they would want. I have found that Airfix makes, or has made a 1/72nd kit. Anyone have one deep in their stash............ too far back to possibly Ever build????

Last edited:
News to me. With that super laminar wing, I can't imagine that you wouldn't have reinforce the spar or it would have to be one hell of a heavy kit to avoid wing warping over time.

130362-10189_zps074e4f17.jpg

148584-11681_zps7638b62f.jpg

I think that the Airfix is a reboxing of the Heller kit...

Yep, Airfix owned Heller at one time, before the take-over by Hornby. The Airfx kit is the Heller kit, and I think still around under the Heller label, as they are now back producing kits.
Heller did both the L-749 Connie and the 'Super Connie', and both are in stock (at the moment!) at King Kit in the UK. Around £15 for the L-749 (pre owned) and £30 for the 'Super Connie', the latter I believe being new. Note that all 'Pre owned' kits are complete, m any being ex-stock from closed shops, or private collections.

Last edited:
Yep, Airfix owned Heller at one time, before the take-over by Hornby. The Airfx kit is the Heller kit, and I think still around under the Heller label, as they are now back producing kits.
Heller did both the L-749 Connie and the 'Super Connie', and both are in stock (at the moment!) at King Kit in the UK. Around £15 for the L-749 (pre owned) and £30 for the 'Super Connie', the latter I believe being new. Note that all 'Pre owned' kits are complete, m any being ex-stock from closed shops, or private collections.

Just looked, must be a day late!

Bill, I've just checked again at King Kit - they have two of the Heller 1/72nd scale Super Constellation in stock, at £29.99, and three of the L-749 Constellation, at £14.99.

Yep, I remember that! In this instance, I just selected 'Heller', 'Aircraft' and '1/72nd scale', and went through the pages until I found them again. Just selecting, for example, 'Constellation' sometimes doesn't work, as the search key word might be, for example 'L-749' !!!
At least their web site is now much, much better, with each kit illustrated, whereas before, it was just a list on a dark blue background!

Ya just have to know the right combination to the safe!

Will advise HARS and see if they want to spring for a build.

Thanks for the help.

You're welcome Bill. If you decide to go for it, and encounter any difficulties, let me know. If necessary, I could always order it and send it on. It's not 'my' scale, and civvy stuff doesn't normally interest me (with the odd exception), but I do like the Connie, and wouldn't mind doing one myself. (mutters to himself "But you've got ten years supply of un-built kits already, so stop it - fool!").

Oh you guys............ The 49ers WON!!!!!! that's really all that counts.

In other news............... I found one, and it came from a member at HARS. Next time I go in it will be waiting for me.
Now I Really gotta get going on my Havoc, I'm gonna be building a couple for HARS now, the 1/48th Phantom and now the CONNIE.

When I start I'll be posting start to finish threads.

***Nice thing is, no shortage of ref photos available!!!!

Attachments

• HARS CONNIE 1.jpg
    HARS CONNIE 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back