M1A1 Panels...Need some info

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have been trying to find some info on those RPG's you are talking about but I have come up with some info on the Abrams armor also.

Interesting stuff Adler I've just been reading the full account on that British lads VC and his Warrior armoured vehicle was hit with so many of those RPG's that it physically moved the 31 ton carrier but still failed to knock it out one went off 15cm from his head .
I know the Abrams uses second generation Chobham that is made under licence by the US this does add a lot of weight as the DU is 250 times denser than steel also the US favour the HEAT round as opposed to the HESH this is why the Challenger has a 120mm rifled Barrel instead of the 120mm Smooth bore. as always with any development counter measures run parallel be it ERA or Chobham.

What kind of round is it that penetrates the skin melts through and then sends an explosive charge into the hull? I hvae read a little on it but can not remember what it is called or if it is used a lot.

The HEAT doesn't introduce an explosive into the tank though does it D?
I thought it was a jet of super heated gas and molten Armour the HESH/HEP uses a shock wave to dislodge a scab of metal inside the amoured vehicle and as you say D the SABOT discarded rounds just punches a hole. At least thats what I thought they did.
I found this RPG info
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/fr/1101708/posts

The HEAT uses thermal energy to melt it's way in. The Chobam was designed to stop it because the ceramic would spread the thermal energy out giving it no punch from the heat.

The SABOT uses the mass and speed of the round and puts it all in one small point to punch it's way through.

I believe so. The only counter-measure to SABOT is reactive armour and just big 'ole fat sloped armour.

I think it might be something to do with waves from the incoming round, hitting the plate and going back out onto the round detonating it. Not 100% sure though. Just what I have gathered about it from reading information.

The temperature of the jet is only about 500 C.Not so impressive,is it?
The HEAT round doesn't melt through the armor it punches through it.

Actually, reactive armor is designed to defend tanks against HEAT munitions. When it detonates, reactive armor creates a cloud of shrapnel that destroys the structure of the jet.Another way to decrease the effect of the cumulative jet is to construct a defensive screen:

Cumulative jet loses it's energy quickly, so if you create an obstacle on some distance from the tank's armor it will also decrease the effect of the jet.

Russian active armor is called 'Arena' and here's a picture of it's radar:

Pictures are from www.armor.kiev.ua if you haven't noticed.Although it is in Russuan you can find there some interesting fotos and a few articles in English.

P.S. Sorry for my English I didn't speak or write in it for four years.

Users who are viewing this thread