Macchi C.205 Vs. A6M5

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

pops-paolo

I will love England forever despite Euro 2020!
May 25, 2021
New Ansterdam
I think the Macchi is better since it was much faster had a much better armament with more ammo (compared to the original a6m5, not its variants which had even worse flight performance).
It has a Competitive (not better) climb rate and turns time compared to the a6m5 but the Macchi has a superior structure for dives.

here is the situation there are two islands (north and south) 10km away from each other surrounded by ocean. After take-off, both runways get blown up and they fight to the death. Clear skies, zero wind, 0% humidity, sea level 65 degrees Fahrenheit, the sun is facing from the east .

Last edited:
The cap I'm familiar with, "imma put a cap in yo azz" - that's gangsta.

And those three particular aces I mentioned up-thread were shooting down F6Fs, F4Us and other Allied types with their A6M5s as late as 1945.

None of this is bullshit or fake - look it up.
ok but "plane wise" mc.205 would win

Macchi planes got a reputation for being wicked fast in a dive. If I were in a mc.205 against a zero. I would probably take the fight into the vertical avoiding slow turns. The mc.205 should also be better at high altitudes, so to keep that advantage, I would stay above 15000'

Macchi planes got a reputation for being wicked fast in a dive. If I were in a mc.205 against a zero. I would probably take the fight into the vertical avoiding slow turns. The mc.205 should also be better at high altitudes, so to keep that advantage, I would stay above 15000'
yeah around 5 km

Things are not exactly black and white in air combat. The aircraft are not exactly defined, and the pilots who fly them can make an otherwise loser into a shoo-in winner.

"Plane-wise," what exact timeframe are you talking? The Veltro first flew in 1942 and was introduced in 1943. They only delivered 262 of them.

The A6M5 Model 52 was flown in Aug 43 and came into service before the end of the year in numbers far greater than the M.C.205. It could hold it's own against many Allied fighters and the A6M5 never fought the M.C.205. They also delivered a LOT more A6M5s than M.C. 205s.

On what evidence do you claim the M.C. 205 to be overall better?

Because the top speed was a bit faster and it was a bit faster in a dive? When they close for close combat, the A6M5 can climb as well or better and it has both cannon and machine guns. The power to weight ratios were very close. In fighter versus fighter combat, the A6M5 proved itself to be formidable over a couple of years. Can the M.C. 205 make the same claim? If so, based on what?

Last edited:
If there ever was an Italian plane that could best any other plane fielded in the war up to 1943, that could probably be the Reggiane Re.2005; it was by far the best of the -5 series of planes, but also the most complex to produce and expensive. A shame that none survives today.

Personally, I rate the Macchi Mc.205 as inferior to the Fiat G.55. I think that the airframe didn't cope well with the heavier engine so, in the evolution from the Mc.202 to the Mc.205, some of the qualities of the progenitor were lost or diluted.

Things are not exactly black and white in air combat. The aircraft are not exactly defined, and the pilots who fly them can make an otherwise loser into a shoo-in winner.

"Plane-wise," what exact timeframe are you talking? The Veltro first flew in 1942 and was introduced in 1943. They only delivered 262 of them.

The A6M5 Model 52 was flown in Aug 43 and came into service before the end of the year in number far greater than the M.C.205. It could hold it's own against many Allied fighters and the A6M5 never fought the M.C.205. They also delivered a LOT more A6M5s than M.C. 205s.

On what evidence do you claim the M.C. 205 to be overall better?

Because the top speed was a bit faster and it was a bit faster in a dive? When they close for close combat, the A6M5 can climb as well or better and it has both cannon and machine guns. The power to weight ratios were very close. In fighter versus fighter combat, the A6M5 proved itself to be formidable over a couple of years. Can the M.C. 205 make the same claim? If so, based on what?
you saying a bit faster ? it was a lot faster
and the m.c205 has 20 mils too plus 12.7s while the Japanese still has 7.7s

If there ever was an Italian plane that could best any other plane fielded in the war up to 1943, that could probably be the Reggiane Re.2005; it was by far the best of the -5 series of planes, but also the most complex to produce and expensive. A shame that none survives today.

Personally, I rate the Macchi Mc.205 as inferior to the Fiat G.55. I think that the airframe didn't cope well with the heavier engine so, in the evolution from the Mc.202 to the Mc.205, some of the qualities of the progenitor were lost or diluted.
sorta but the 205 had a better flight performance in general

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back