Macchi Castoldi 72 New in Art, by Ron Cole

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ColesAircraft

Airman 1st Class
Not quite WWII, but a rare example of a glimpse in history that justifiably shows Italian air power in a positive light: This is my MC-72 world record breaker painting that I just completed. I messed around with the background, off and on, for a long time and finally decided to finish it.

The aircraft is depicted over Venice, above which it probably never flew but I wanted an engaging and uniquely Italian background.

I-MC72-LR.jpg

Beautiful work, Love the background. Would love to see a similar print of the Supermarine proto-or paleo-Spitfire entry. If you've done one. If not, its worth doing. I can think of at least two forum members who'd love that too. What do you think John?

Beautiful work, Love the background. Would love to see a similar print of the Supermarine proto-or paleo-Spitfire entry. If you've done one. If not, its worth doing. I can think of at least two forum members who'd love that too. What do you think John?

Malcolm, you know me so well....

B-S6-1.jpg

I did this Supermarine several years ago. Funny thing: It's one of my personal favorite paintings of mine, and I've sold maybe three of them! But a beautiful plane!

- R

Here's a close-up. I've actually tried to deaden some of the detail in my more recent pieces, so as not to be too distracting, but I still like to detail certain focal points.

A-Clipper-2.jpg

Ron, you should come visit the Planes of Fame and look around. We need some of your original artwork!

This museum is closely tied to racing (we are the US National Champs for the last 3 years running) and the MC.72 and S.6B are great representations of it. We have a full size S.6B replica just waiting to be refurnished and displayed. It's all wood! Come visit if you can.

A great time would be May 4 - 5 since those are our airshow dates. This year we'll have 5 P-38's (or maybe 6) flying together in addition to all the other WWII beauties ... I mean aircraft, of course. The other kind will not doubt attend as well.

Last edited:
Ron, you should come visit the Planes of Fame and look around. We need some of your original artwork!

This museum is closely tied to racing (we are the US National Champs for the last 3 years running) and the MC.72 and S.6B are great representations of it. We have a full size S.6B replica just waiting to be refurnished and displayed. It's all wood! Come visit if you can.

A great time would be May 4 - 5 since those are our airshow dates. This year we'll have 5 P-38's (or maybe 6) flying together in addition to all the other WWII beauties ... I mean aircraft, of course. The other kind will not doubt attend as well.

Been there, and love it! In fact I used to visit there as a kid when the museum's office was a house trailer. Lived in LA until a few years ago and went to the airshows every year. I'd love to have my work displayed and/or available for sale there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back