Making your own decals

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Eighthaf

Airman
Apr 4, 2007
Thought I'd start a thread here, that we might all best-share our decal-manufacturing techniques, tips, hints, advisories, etc.

Eighth

Good idea! I'd like to learn more myself. I've only done this once so far, making a very simple air intake grille for my 1/48 P51 Mustang but want to do much more.

Gee, I am a complete novice...have done three models in my entire life, very badly I might say, but all three have decals I did myself which arent too bad.

I use a scanner, and a drawing package. I find the image I want....like a crest or something, and scan it at the highest and best resolution I can find.

I estimate the size I want, using Paintbrush Pro or Photoshop, Print off a trial copy on normal paper to make sure I am happy, then print onto the decal sheet....If the images have a white background you use white backed decal sheet.

If the image has a different backing colour, you have to paint that onto the model itself....very carefully.

If you use an inkjet printer you need to use a spray sealant to stop the image from running when you wet the Decal. Dont use just plain varnish, ther is a special anti-yelowing agent to extend the life of the Decal....at least that is what the hobby shop told me.

To save Decal Paper (which is expensive stuff), I cut Decal sheet and stick it on the trial paper in the spot wher the trial image appears. i use masking tape around the stuck on Decal sheet to stop any jamming or grabbing by the printer.

This is my method....it works pretty well....I know that some of you are going to say "no no thats all wrong!" but it works for me.

Wurger has a really coool method for hand making decals, but I cant remamber how he does it....

Testors has a kit that comes with the sprays, software, and paper - pretty much everything you need for around $25 IIRK.

I've done it the way parsifal listed and it worked well (I was too dam cheap to buy the kit). I did learn one thing the hard way, if you buy the decal paper and you have an inkjet, MAKE SURE it will work with it. I bought paper for the laser printer and the ink just beaded up on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back