Painting, Future, Decals, and other finishing challenges.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not sure of the chemical content of either -sol or -set but I follow Terry's post very closely and have never had any problems. I do not use a towel but place the decal directly on the model. Micro-set can be used to "set" the decal on the model by applying it first directly on the model. Once the decal is in place I paint the -sol over the decal with a soft brush. I also don't use tissue. I use Q-tips to clean up excess water/-sol/-set from the model's surface. One problem which can occur happens when Future has not been allowed to "cure" for a long enough period of time. As it is an acrylic it really does not "dry" as such. Future "drys" to the touch in about an hour or so but has not chemically "cured" yet. It takes at least 24/48 hrs or more to properly cure or harden (Like concrete which doesn't "dry" it cures chemically and hardens. You can feel the heat generated from the reaction). Since curing is a chemical process it is temperature depedent. Warmth speeds - Cool slows
Since military colors are not easy to find in gloss and decals do not apply well to flat paints as the surface is rough the Future coat is necessary to provide the smooth surface for decal adhesion. A gloss clear should work equally well but Future is a LOT cheaper

Last edited:
Micro set smells different than Sol. Not that I sit around and sniff modeling supplies.

Man, you are missing a wonderful experience. Close the windows, the door, seal the room. Fire up the air brush with some lacquer thinned paint and go to town. Elvis and I finished a nice 1850s era B-17 the other night. :p
Dale

One smells like Vinegar and the other smells like thiner or something :D

I read an article years ago about making your own setting solution and the main ingredient was vinegar. The guy swore it was as good as retail setting solutions and far cheaper. Might be worth trying on a hangar queen and some spare decals.

Geo

Yep, the basis of most decal solutions is acetic acid, same as the photo chemical I mentioned earlier, and with other 'control' additives, the latter beiongh the one s where I recognise the smell, but can't remember which chemicals they are.

I read an article years ago about making your own setting solution and the main ingredient was vinegar. The guy swore it was as good as retail setting solutions and far cheaper. Might be worth trying on a hangar queen and some spare decals.

Geo

Aye I've got a couple old kits I could try it on, but I think its about 80% Vinegar the solutions, they just work with whatever is combined with it :D If you can find a perfect ratio it would be better to just make your own stuff.

The only problem is experiementing with it, is costly in its own right if you dont get it right the first couple times :S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back