Maritime Art....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Most of us know Robert Taylor for his aviation art, but do you know he does maritime as well? This is a print I have on my wall in the dining area. Nelson and the Battle of the Nile. I do have a Few of his aircraft prints as well. There is a book, Robert Taylor Maritime Art, and it's a beauty. And, don't you love it when a tall ship is under full sail in a blustering wind, and the flag is "following" the ship, straight out the back!!!!!!

Attachments

• taylor maritime.jpg
    taylor maritime.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Bill, I've followed Robert Taylor for some time now and was aware of his maritime art. I have 3 signed Taylor prints, all aviation but none maritime. I think he's one of the best out there.

One of my favourite classical artists is JMW Turner (Joseph Mallord William) who is renown for his broody skyscapes and use of light and shade to convey a mood. He's known for his landscapes, but in fact was a prominent and prolific maritime artist. By comparison to today's crisp and detailed renditions of vessels, Turner's work appears muddy and cloudy, but is recognised as being exceptional for its use of colour to capture a mood. One thing I read once about his work was that the bright fiery red skies in his paintings may have been as a result of high levels of ash in the atmosphere in the early 1800s as a result of volcanic eruptions in the Southern Hemisphere.

Here is a google link to his maritime work:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?um=...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=6RNQUsDIFo2giQedkYCgAQ

You can see two of his most famous works, the Fighting Temeraire and the Battle of Trafalgar, which hangs in the Royal Navy Museum in Portsmouth. It was heavily criticised at the time for romanticising the battle and for not being realistic in its scale; the Victory is depicted looking larger than what it would have been in real life, but Turner followed his masters' descriptions of what they wanted to the letter; his stylistic rendition of the battle incorporated features that could not have been seen at the same time, but invoke an acute sense of the action when viewing the work.

Last edited:
There is something about a tall ship.

When our son was 21 we agreed that instead of paying for a party we would give him an experience that would give him memories. So on his big day we told him that he was booked on a trans atlantic voyage on a tall ship. He still talks about it today 9 years later.

They were caught out once when the weather turned during the night and they had to go aloft and haul in the sails. As he said, if the deck is swaying you can imagine what it was like out on the yardarm. The person who was reckoned to be the bravest was a girl from Texas who hadn't even seen the sea before the voyage.

If any of you have children approaching a big day, I strongly suggest you think about it. It different, off the wall and will never be forgotten

Great thread, love these tall ships. I sure would not want to be on one running a broadside, they put some nasty stuff in those cannons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back