Martin 167 Maryland found.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

nuuumannn

Major
Oct 12, 2011
Nelson
In the June issue of Aeroplane Monthly is a piece on the discovery of a virtually complete Maryland in a desert setting. Can't find any more than what's written in the article.

Here's a link to the magazine's website with a rather cursory mention of the find.

Aeroplane Monthly History in the Air

It hasn't raised much comment on the British forums, except criticism of the RAF Museum, which is a favourite pass time of the attendees.

Maryland survivor

I think this is quite significant.

Recover the thing, and restore it in the markings of Adrian Warburton, once identified as the Allies' most valuable pilot. Would LOVE to see this bird in a museum being properly cared for. Equally, would say the same for the RAF P-40 that was found in the desert a few years ago but still hasn't emerged...:(

Yep, hopefully it does get saved; from the few pics in AM the aircraft looks substantially complete. It looks like it might have been used as a transport, since the top turret has been replaced with a crude looking fairing. Its location is being kept secret for now - sensibly. No doubt more pics will emerge once more is known.

I wonder if it is a French Maryland; which enlarges the possible sites to include Algeria, Tunisia and Syria as well as Libya and Egypt. All have political/safety issues these days. A French Maryland is more likely to have been modified as a transport as the French Air Force cobbled together all sorts of things in North Africa for training purposes after the Anglo American invasions. Including recovering allied write offs and putting them back in the air, so my guess is that this is a French Air Force Maryland, modified after they were replaced in service by American aeroplanes post invasion. Possibly used for any period from 1942 onwards as a transport/trainer up to the Algerian war when it was abandoned on an Algerian air field, now itself abandoned. It would need heavy Algerian government support to access and recover this one and delicate negotiations may be taking place as we write.

It's in Classic Wings as well if you can get a copy of that. The best part in that issue is the article on the possibility of getting two Vultee Vengeances airworthy!!!!

Yes, I've also been informed of the articles in Classic wings, but apparently doesn't add much more. Certainly the news about getting Vengeances flying is big. So that means (not having read the article, Wildcat) that Camden Museum of Aviation's Vengeance isn't the last one left?

The Camden example is the only complete survivor. The article states there are sections of two different aircraft (A27-41 A27-247) which will be used for the airworthy examples.

Thought so, just wondering what the US aircraft might comprise - so, they'll scratch build the remainder, then?. I don't collect Classic Wings.

Must go to Camden one of these days.

found this on another forum

The latest Aeroplane Monthly ( UK magazine ) reports that a Maryland has been found in north Africa, and the photos show the remains to be very substantial, sans tail and outer wings. It looks as though it was abandoned in situ rather than a crash wreck, so presumably it's on an old wartime airfield. Faded paint indicates that its a French one, though the serial numbers don't match the records. Hopefully, there will be more photos soon. With no surviving examples, the Maryland was thought to be extinct - no longer, it seems. Looking forward to more news

Screenshot_20210824-175319_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back