Maybe a stupid question, maybe not... But i would like to know the answer.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have heard about that but can't remember where. I also think that Stanford Tuck or Malan was blown out of the sky from an erupting bomb while they where taking off - only feet off the runway.

Attachments

• b24-italy.jpg
    b24-italy.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 40
  • B-24_hit2.jpg
    B-24_hit2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 35
  • B-24_hit3.jpg
    B-24_hit3.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 30
  • B-24_hit.jpg
    B-24_hit.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 31
  • B-24D+hit+from.jpg
    B-24D+hit+from.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 24
i forgot but can the bombers drop them one at a time or all at once?

I have heard about that but can't remember where. I also think that Stanford Tuck or Malan was blown out of the sky from an erupting bomb while they where taking off - only feet off the runway.

I haven't found it either, but I did find this interesting tidbit

Furthermore, torpedo planes were also highly vulnerable to anti-aircraft fire, particularly the heavy anti-aircraft guns (such as the 5 inch DP) which fired into the water, creating water spouts to slap the torpedo planes.

Didn't the Japanese try "bombing" B24 formations with white phosphorus bombs?

I swear Ive seen a picture of a B24 over Truk Atoll with the WP streamers in the background.

Yes, I have a picture of the "octopus" of a Japanese air-to-air phosphorous bomb; I mentioned it in another thread. The Japanase plane launched it about 100 yards away from the bomber(s) it was "chasing" and, hopefully, scored a hit on one of the bombers.

The damage could have been caused by a bomb with a delay fuse - the RAF used these to inflict casualties on rescue services after the raid had passed, and such a weapon would easily go straight through a bomber. I doubt it was an impact fuse, even falling more of less horizontally I would have thought it would have detonated on it's way through the a/c.

YES - I believe during WW2 bombs were dropped on bombers from fighters (Luftwaffe). I know some of our other folks could provide accurate info on this. I do know during the GW1 an F-15E dropped a bomb on a Super Felon helicopter and the crew of the F-15 credited with a kill.

Yeah, the F-15E was actually able to designate the Frelon with it's LANTIRN pod, and hit the helicopter with an LGB. (BTW, wiki says it was an Mi 24, not an SF).

When I used to play lL2. I occasionally flew the A20 with parachute bombs. Waited until I had a fighter on my tail went into a steep climb and released the load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back