Memorial Day 2008

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

First of all, i would like to thank all veterans of all countries for your service and your sacrifices,thank you. If you'll bear with me i'd like to share a memory with you guys. On Memorial Day 1997 i was a young soldier stationed at Ft. Hood, Texas , and i was not having a good time, i was conteplating going Awol, or worse(smoking myself). I was planning on spending the weekend alone in my barracks room when a soldier that i admired and respected came to my room and told me i had 30 minutes to get ready to go on a road trip. This man took me to his parents home in witchita falls tx, for the weekend and made me realize things were not as bad as i thought they were. after that he helped me become the soldier i am today. His name was Donald J Hasse. Don was killed on Thanksgiving Day 2005 in Taji, Iraq. He was my friend, and I never got to tell him Thank you for saving my life, for being my friend, and that i loved him, like only slodiers can love another.................I miss you brother :cry:

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother;

Attachments

• 045d.jpg
    045d.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 045e.jpg
    045e.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 53
On this day my friends i propose this:for the vets, raise your glass high with me and remember those we loved who didn't come home, for the non-vets, head out to your local bar and find a vet to raise your glass to. REMEMBER THEM

If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and one backward glance when you are leaving, for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not always have. Take what they have left and what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Written January 1, 1970 by Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
Dak To, South Vietnam
aise your glass with.

Although the Purple Heart is an American decoration, this sentiment applies to the brave warriors of all countries.....

"Let it be known that he who wears the military order of the purple heart has given of his blood in the defense of his homeland and shall forever be revered by his fellow countrymen."

George Washington — Commander-in-Chief of the Continental Army, 7 August 1782.

TO

Attachments

• Purple_heart.jpg
    Purple_heart.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 75
Humankind will NEVER be able to pay the debt to those that fight and die, making the ultimate sacrifice, so that others can enjoy the freedom that they take for granted... Someone will always be there to threaten it, someone else will always be there ready to defend it...

I owe you my, my parents and my grandparents freedom and that shall never be forgotten....:salute:

"God of our fathers, who by land and sea have ever lead us to victory, please continue your inspiring guidance in this the greatest of all conflicts. Strengthen my soul so that the weakening instinct of self-preservation, which besets all of us in battle, shall not blind me to my duty to my own manhood, to the glory of my calling, and to my responsibility to my fellow soldiers. Grant to our armed forces that disciplined valor and mutual confidence which insures success in war. Let me not mourn for the men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heroes have lived. If it be my lot to die, let me do so with courage and honor in a manner which will bring the greatest harm to the enemy, and please, oh Lord, protect and guide those I shall leave behind. Give us the victory, Lord."

General George S. Patton

:salute: That list is just too damn long...

even one man is just one too many...

what I did for Memorial Day was give George Insley a call. for those of you who don't know, he was my Great Uncle Rudolph Jandreau's CO who served with him in WWII. just look down at my signature. :salute: it was our first time in talking to each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back