Messerschmitt Bf109E coming to the UK !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
An announcement in the January 2015 edition of 'Fly Past' magazine confirms that Platinum Fighter Sales have sold the former Russel Group (Canada) Bf109-E4, Wk Nr3579 'White 14', to an anonymous buyer, and that it will be coming to the UK.
Sad news for Canadian and US fans, but great news for Britain, and Europe !
The 'Emil' was once flown by Marseille, and is a genuine BoB veteran, and is one of only two airworthy examples, and will be the only one in Europe.
It's destined to be flying in the UK in 2015, and is expected to take part in the 75th anniversary commemorations of the Battle of Britain.
Even more reason why I must get to Duxford in September !

Great news for you guys over there. Hope you enjoy it.

To me, the E always looked like the "flghter to fear" in 1940. The Spitfire looks too good to evoke those feelings (makes me think of air racing), but the Bf 109E looks like a handful to face at the time, purposeful and equipped to do the job.

Yes, I KNOW the Spitfire was, too, but the looks of the 109 just seem to exude aggression while the looks of the Spitfire seem to exude gracefulness and speed ... despite the fact that they were very close in all real-world flying qualities, with the Spit turning a bit better and the 109 climbing a bit better.

They were close matches for the entire war, to the end. It would be tough to pick the winner of a dogfight between an Me 109K and a Spitfire XIV without knowing the pilots of both and their relative experience (and range from home).

An announcement in the January 2015 edition of 'Fly Past' magazine confirms that Platinum Fighter Sales have sold the former Russel Group (Canada) Bf109-E4, Wk Nr3579 'White 14', to an anonymous buyer, and that it will be coming to the UK.
Sad news for Canadian and US fans, but great news for Britain, and Europe !
The 'Emil' was once flown by Marseille, and is a genuine BoB veteran, and is one of only two airworthy examples, and will be the only one in Europe.
It's destined to be flying in the UK in 2015, and is expected to take part in the 75th anniversary commemorations of the Battle of Britain.
Even more reason why I must get to Duxford in September !

looks like its a definate for that then Terry !

looks like its a definate for that then Terry !

A very BIG definite mate!
To see a genuine 'Emil', and a BoB veteran too, in the skies over Duxford with Spitfire Mk1s will equal, possibly surpass, seeing the two Lancs earlier this year.
I guess we'll be booking advance tickets as soon as they're available, to make sure we get in!
Also a darned good excuse to get more forum members together ..... hint, hint !

A very BIG definite mate!
To see a genuine 'Emil', and a BoB veteran too, in the skies over Duxford with Spitfire Mk1s will equal, possibly surpass, seeing the two Lancs earlier this year.
I guess we'll be booking advance tickets as soon as they're available, to make sure we get in!
Also a darned good excuse to get more forum members together ..... hint, hint !

i am sure we will have to !

i expect it to be packed.

Yes, it is. Neil sent me some fantastic detail photos he took specially for me, but on the understanding they weren't published or posted on any internet site.
Sad that he's not around top comment on the move - though I expect I'd know his reaction !

Well, I'm glad that they finally closed a sale after so many years. Sad to see her go but, to be honest, I'd rather see it flying in England than collecting dust in a hangar in Niagara Falls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back