Metal tubing for gun barrels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JKim

Senior Master Sergeant
Jul 1, 2014
Carlsbad, CA
What do you guys do when hollowing out the kit barrels isn't satisfactory and you don't want to shell out money for those Master Model brass barrels (which are beautiful BTW)? I purchased some stainless steel tubing in various sizes but they are extremely difficult to cut cleanly even with a diamond disc and Dremel.

I use brass. Cuts easily with a good razor saw. 1/48 scale 109G-4:

110503 Cannon.jpg

I'll second Albion Alloys. They come in brass, aluminum or nickel and you can cut them easily with a razor blade. Just gently roll the tube while applying pressure with knife. Cuts nice and clean and they have a ton of small sizes. Sprue Brothers have them in stock. This video shows them scoring then snapping the tube but I can generally cut right through it with out crimping the ends.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zRPBgdCxJs

Last edited:
The foot is actually a remarkable device for finding things...

The heel is best adapted for locating squarish items, the ball of the foot is great for sharp-pointy things. And there is no better tool for finding solid objects in the dark like table legs, door jambs and similar objects, than the little toe...

I've used both the brass and the alloy tube from Albion Alloys, and have cut them using the above method, and also using a circular saw blade in a 'Dremmel' type power tool, without problems.
I've also used the stainless steel nozzle tubes from Revell cement, which make excellent blast tubes for the P-47 in 1/48th scale, but are a tad difficult to cut easily !

I can personally attest the PITA-ness of stainless tubing. I bought some diamond encrusted circular blades for my dremel and a table clamp to hold it down but it's still difficult. I'm sure brass is MUCH easeier to work with so thanks for the info! Can anyone recommend a good range of sizes for 1/48 scale aircraft? Mainly for gun barrels and maybe pitot tubes. I know I can get a decent estimate by using real gun barrel dimensions and calc'ing them down to 1/48 scale but I thought I'd ask first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back