Meteor NF.12, 46 Sqn, RAF, 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much chaps, glad you like it - I'll sum up when I post the final pics, and now, I have to address the next problem, packing the bl**dy things !
Although the 1/32nd scale Beaufighter, with it's wing span just short of 22 inches, is literally the biggest packing problem, all of the models need to be packed in such a way that they won't get damaged either by vibration, or lateral movement, the latter being a cause of undercarriage damage. I also need to wedge the boxes in the van, to prevent them sliding around, but still have unrestricted access into the rear of the van, should I need a break and make a coffee.
The Beau has been 'hiding' partly under a shelf in the spare room for the past 8 years, and I'd forgotten just how big it actually is, and just how many delicate details there are, just waiting to get damaged !

Once I've finished the Meteor, i'll post a thread in the 'Completed Models' section, showing all of the models for the 46 Squadron Association 100th Anniversary re-Union event.

It's done - and only just in time !

I managed to do a 'fix' to get the drop tanks to attach, as shown below, and the VHF and IFF antennae have been added, although I didn't bother to make and add the radio altimeter 'T' antennae, two of which should be fitted to the lower rear fuselage, as these would certainly get broken in transit or through handling. There was supposed to be resin antennae with the kit, but the sealed bag of resin parts included the casting block for these, but no sign of the tiny aerials.
All areas needing re-touching hve been attended to, and the wing tip nav lamps were just painted in the relevant colour and glazed with clear gloss. I just noticed that the port lamp has been smudged, where I caught it whilst still wet, so this will be corrected in the morning.

Although it's acceptable, especially for its intended purpose, the model is not up to the standards I normally aim for, mainly as a result of having to work to a tight deadline, and with a 'limited run' kit and all that entails. Overall, the kit is rather good, with some nice detail and, in different circumstances, and with plenty of time to check and correct fit issues, a very nice model could be produced using this kit, and I might well try to obtain another example and tr to do it justice.
A lot of time and effort is needed in some areas, in order to align major assemblies, the resin cockpits and engine fronts in particular demand perfect alignment in order to avoid problems further into the build, and this is to be expected from a kit of this nature.
However, there were a couple of areas where I feel that major, and simple improvements in the tooling would have made life a lot easier, with the outer wing jointing surfaces being an example, and definitely those incorrectly positioned locating tabs and slots on the main undercarriage legs - someone certainly had a brain fart with that area !
If I was to build this kit again, one area I would very definitely alter is the nose wheel attachment brackets. These are resin parts, to scale, and forming part of the wheel well bulkhead. However, they are not attached to anything at the front end and, once the nose wheel is fitted, there is very noticeable vertical movement in the assembly.
As these parts are hidden from view, deep in the nose wheel bay, it would be better to reinforce the area above the brackets, probably creating a box section, to prevent movement, and very possibly breakage, of the fairly fragile resin parts.
So, putting aside the results of my rather rushed work, for a limited run kit, this goes together quite well, and I was pleasantly surprised that there were relatively few, and only minor, fit issues with the major parts assembly.

PICS 1 and 2. Strips of plastic card were cemented across the tops of the open tank pylons, and reinforced with CA adhesive, after first sanding the top faces of the pylons. When set, the card was trimmed to shape, and then sanded flush around the edges. The tanks were then cemented on to the bare plastic areas previously masked, with the joint again being reinforced with CA, and the joint was then painted in MSG.
The finger marks have since been removed from the tanks and wing surfaces !
PIC 3. The VHF 'whip' antenna was added from stretched sprue, cemented into a drilled hole, using Tamiya Extra Thin cement, and the IFF dipole was made from brass rod, painted yellow, and 'superglued' into the drilled hole.
PIC 4. The lower IFF dipole, made the same way.
PICS 5 to 9. The finished model, representing a Meteor NF12 of 46 Sqn, RAF, in the early 1950s.

With a seven month marathon building programme now finally over, I'm off to bed in the knowledge that I don't have to get up at 'O daft hundred hours' to get to the bench again, and I can relax for a few hours, before setting off on the drive to Oxfordshire later today, to deliver the models to Gp.Cpt Dougie Barr, in time for the 100th Anniversary Re-Union Dinner on Saturday.
I'll post a thread in the 'Completed Models' threads, showing all the models donated to 46 Squadron, when I get back on Thursday - if I have time before packing again, and setting off for Holland !
My thanks again to all who have followed these builds, and for the encouragement along the way, and I hope you've enjoyed the ups and downs, as I have (not !).
Now if anyone asks me to build four models, one after the other, to a tight deadline, my second word will be 'Off' !!!

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 298.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 302.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 301.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 303.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 063.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 064.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 066.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 067.JPG
46 Sqn Anniversary models 068.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great Terry. Make sure you take a repair kit along in case of a mishap. On the packing, I'm not sure if you have access to styrofoam sheets but I have had the best success with transporting the models in this way. The model is placed on the sheet which should be in a box of some sort. The model is secured by piercing toothpicks that are butted up to the model into the styrofoam at numerous locations.

Thanks very much chaps.
Models are sitting on styrofoam, in cardboard boxes, with the wheels in very shallow recesses in the foam. But I like the idea of the toothpicks. I'll add some wooden cocktail sticks as wedges.
Repair kit is already packed !
Setting off in around an hour or so from now, and aim to meet Dougie at around 14.30 hrs.
Back tomorrow, possibly with a couple of pics of the 'hand over'.

Thanks very much again chaps.
John, that web page is shown as 'Unavailable', but not a problem, as I'm happy to report that the models were delivered safely yesterday evening, and the repair kit was not needed.
They were packed into individual boxes, with each model sitting on a sheet of expanded polystyrene ('Styrofoam'), with the the wheels in shallow depressions, cut into the foam, and the foam sheet wedged all round.
I used Andy's suggestion, and inserted cocktail sticks into the foam at the wing leading and trailing edges, and on each side of the fuselage, and the models didn't move even by one millimeter.
Group Captain Dougie Barr was delighted with the models, and he's going to send me some photos of the models on display at the 100th Re-Union Dinner, being held this Saturday at the Officer's Mess, RAF Benson, which I'll post on my return from Holland, in a separate thread which I'm about to commence in the 'Completed Models' threads.

Thanks Wojtek and Andy.
I've started a thread in the 'Completed Kits' section. showing all four models, along with some of the background to the event and the Squadron history. When Dougie sends me the pics, I'll post them there, along with some pics of the very nice Squadron souvenirs Dougie presented to me on behalf of the Squadron Association.
Unfortunately, I didn't get any pics of the 'handover', but Dougie took a 'selfie' of the two of us, on his 'phone, so given that he also sends that, I'll post it too.
Now I'm off to finish packing for the trip to Holland tomorrow morning, and then going to get some much-needed kip, as it's an early start - even earlier for Karl, as he has a 150 mile drive to my place, before driving another 200+ miles to Southend airport !!
Back at the end of next week, and I hope you all behave whilst I'm not here to keep an eye on you !

So you are going to reach the one bridge too far... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back