Meteor NF.12, 46 Sqn, RAF, 1/48th scale.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
This will be the third build for the 46 Squadron 100th Anniversary Re-union, with one more to follow, for a total of five models to be presented to the Squadron Association.

Although finally disbanded in 1975, when the Squadron was then equipped with the H.S. Andover transport, 46 Sqn (and 46 Sqn Association) are the only Squadron in the Royal Air Force to hold an annual re-union dinner, every year, without fail, since 1917.
Formed in April 1916, the Squadron was originally a fighter squadron, and had been equipped with such types as the Be2, Nieuport, Sopwith Camel, Hurricane, Beaufighter, and Mosquito, before re-forming as a Transport squadron, operating the Stirling and Dakota, from February 1945 until February 1950, when they again disbanded. Re-formed as a Night Fighter Squadron, with the Meteor NF.12 and NF.14, in 1954, the Squadron operated these aircraft until March 1956, when they became the first squadron to use the Javelin FAW 1, followed by the FAW 2 and FAW 6, until June 1961, when they again disbanded.
December 1966 saw the Squadron re-form yet again, back in the transport role, flying the H.S. Andover tactical transport until 1975, when the Squadron disbanded for the final time.

The Meteor NF.12 model will be built, with a fairly simple conversion, using the Classic Airframes kit of the NF.11/NF.13 and, apart from the conversion process, shown below, this will be an 'OOB' build, in order to save time, as the deadline for delivery is fast approaching.
In theory, the nose should be extended by around 9 mm in order to produce an accurate rendition of the NF.12 from this kit - at least, according to the published dimensional data, which, I've found, varies depending on source !
However, having measured the kit parts, and studied numerous photos, plans and cutaway drawings, as well as checking the dimensions of the alternative parts in the 'Xtrakit' 1/72nd scale kit (ex- Matchbox) for the NF.12/NF.14 version, it appears that the nose section in the Classic Airframes kit is closer in length to that of the NF.12, although it does have the smaller blister beneath the radome, not found on the NF.12.
Consequently, the parts will be used as provided, after first removing the aforementioned blister, and unless the finished model is measured and checked against accurate dimensional data, any discrepancy in overall length shouldn't be noticed !
The other part of the 'conversion' requires the addition of small fillets above and below the fin 'bullet' fairing, which will be added using plastic card and 'Milliput'.

The pics below show the areas which need to be altered, along with a profile of how the finished model will look (source - the Internet), and I hope to make a start on this build just as soon as I finish the Stirling which, all being well, should be later this week.

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 001.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 002.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 003.JPG
Meteor NF12 46 Sqn.jpg

Yep. It's a nice kit, with lots of resin detail parts, and I've been looking forward to this one !

Yep, no locating pins at all, so strips of plastic will be used to help align major parts.

Well, I'm one week behind making a start on this, so I've been 'cracking on', and getting the initial preparation work done. With only a little over four weeks remaining, in which to complete this model, and hopefully the smaller-scale NF.14 version, and get all the models delivered, I'll be working almost non-stop, grabbing some kip here and there.

The first step was to check-over all the parts and test for alignment, as there are no locating pins or other constructional aids, as is fairly common with 'limited run' kits. Thankfully, apart from a few heavy ejector pin 'lugs' and thick sprue attachment spurs, the only other 'blemish' I've discovered, so far at least, is a sink mark on one side of the fin.
Starting with the nose sections and fuselage halves, the sprue attachments have been removed, and those ejector pins which would interfere with the construction have been removed - that 'sink mark' will be tackled when the fin fillets are added.

PICS 1 and 2. These large ejector pin 'lugs' were preventing the tail-end from joining, and were easily removed by vertical pairing, then sanding.
PIC 3. An example of the rather heavy sprue attachment spurs. Again, these have now been removed and the areas lightly sanded. Any remaining blemishes will be carefully sanded and polished once the fuselage halves are joined.
PIC 4. The 'sink mark' on the port side of the (solid) fin, which will be filled when the fillets are added to the leading edge, around the 'bullet' fairing. Note also the 'solid' locating point for the tail plane, where only a butt joint is used. This will be drilled and wire pins fitted, with the tail planes locating onto the pins.
PIC 5. The blister beneath the radome was not present on the NF.12, and has to be removed. Note the thickness of the plastic, shown on the internal view of the port nose half.

The sequence illustrating the removal of the blister, and the restoration of the nose section, is shown in the next post.
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 004.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 012.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 006.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 014.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 009.JPG

The blister beneath the nose radome has been removed, the area sanded smooth, and the nose halves joined. Once the joint had fully set, further work was carried out to eradicate a slight 'mis-match', the joint seams were sanded, and the panel lines reinstated.
The pics below show the various stages in re-profiling the nose.

PIC 1. First step was to saw off as much of the unwanted plastic as safely possible, without damaging the overall shape of the underside of the nose.
PIC 2. A 'chisel' scalpel blade was then used to shave as close to the rounded surface as possible.
PIC 3. A jeweler's file was used next, filing-down to the contours of the nose.
PIC 4. This was followed by sanding with 600 grit wet and dry, used dry, and then final sanding with worn 1200 grit, used wet, before polishing with a micro-fibre cloth.
PIC 5. With that part completed, the basic lines of the panel joints were lightly rescribed, as a guide for proper engraving later.
PIC 6. As there are no locating pins on any of the main parts, small pieces of plastic card were cemented inside the nose halves, and allowed to set. With these acting as an aid to alignment of the joint, the two halves of the nose were then cemented together.
PIC 7. With the nose now joined, and fully set, the joint, particularly the underside, was inspected for any mis-alignment and, as expected, further sanding in the area of the removed blister was required, indicated by the red arrow.
PICS 8 and 9. The small step has been sanded flush, and the entire joint seam has been carefully shaved and sanded, to eliminate the joint line. The panel lines have now been properly engraved, and the areas dry polished. This will now be polished again, using 'T-Cut', to eliminate any sanding marks, and restore the surface to its original, smooth finish.

Next stage will be to tape together the fuselage halves, and check the fit of the nose section, as previous dry-fitting indicated that there might be a very slight step. If there is, this can be rectified, once the sections are joined, by filling with stretched sprue and sanding flush.
Once that has been checked, actual construction can be begin, commencing with the resin cockpit parts.
I hope to get to the first construction stage tomorrow - or more correctly, later today !
Pics when there's more to show.

Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 015.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 016.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 017.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 018.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 019.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 020.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 025.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 026.JPG
Meteor NF.12 46 Sqn build 027.JPG

Midnight oil, morning oil, mid-day oil, an any time at all oil !
I'm afraid I have to, otherwise I'll not get it done in time - I think I better place a bulk order with Shell !
I'll be happy if I can get this done, but if I'm also able to get the 1/72nd scale NF.14 done, I'll be even happier. If this build goes smoothly, without problems or delays then, as the NF.14 is a very basic kit, and will be done strictly 'OOB', apart from the Squadron markings, there's a chance I might just have the time to get it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back