Modelling Tools and Equipment.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Several years ago, I purchased a microscope for working on circuit boards. It has all the goodies like alternate lighting sources, video output for a monitor, etc.

When I unpacked it, I got the one raised eyebrow and crossed arms from my Fiancee. I explained to her that I not only got it on sale, but free shipping!

She approved! :lol:

Awaiting your opinions about this Grant
Tested out the scope yesterday. The magnification is great but the software to run it is pretty clunky. They send you a mini-CD with the software to load on your PC, but who actually has a CD drive any more???? Downloaded it from the interweb, but as I said its clunky and translated from Mandarin/Cantonese so some of the interpretations leave a bit to be desired.

All that being said - if you just use it as a scope to help with the really fine work then its great. It's easy to distinguish details down to 0.1mm and I'm thinking if I work any smaller than that I'm wasting my time cause no one is going to see it that small. I think there are some better ones out there but you will pay quite a bit more.

Tested out the scope yesterday. The magnification is great but the software to run it is pretty clunky. They send you a mini-CD with the software to load on your PC, but who actually has a CD drive any more???? Downloaded it from the interweb, but as I said its clunky and translated from Mandarin/Cantonese so some of the interpretations leave a bit to be desired.

All that being said - if you just use it as a scope to help with the really fine work then its great. It's easy to distinguish details down to 0.1mm and I'm thinking if I work any smaller than that I'm wasting my time cause no one is going to see it that small. I think there are some better ones out there but you will pay quite a bit more.
My microscope had a mini-CD for the video interface, but I have a legacy machine that had no problem running the program.

Yet another excuse validated for keeping "old stuff" around! :lol:

Just thought I would share this.
When I was running a router table we cut a lot of plastic, acrylic sheet. I wanted a little pedestal to work on, or support parts.
I made a couple of these, they have a bit of weight to them, an advantage. I keep a big wad of Blue Tac stuck to the top.
It serves as a base for adding tiny bits to other bits. Like as shown, part of the P-40 engine piping. It wasn't long snough.
So I needed to put a piece of punched evergreen sheet at the end of the pipe. Stick the piece in the BT, spot of glue, drop it on
with pointed exacto, Bob's yer Uncle!
a tool.jpg

How many throw that Square Avocado butter tube your wife uses in trash? WELL.....!
1 tubs.jpg
How many have tipped a Square bottle of thin cwmwnt over onto the bench???? Well......!
If you search EBait for "Square glue bottle holder" you will find these for about $5.00AU.....!
Instead of the 15.00 for some. You will notice they don't fit tight, but Dymo tape solves that!!!
Blue one is SMS and green is Tamiya, I am Transitioning!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay okay........ :eek:
1 glue holders.jpg

Well, the Blue thingies (the official name) are the cheap clamps.
The Calipers, digital, is the Other thingy I use to measure Everything.
Wires, drill bits, holes and....... the Blue thingies to make sure they are the same height.
Shown here. I very rarely use them as clamps at all. I've always found them too short to
clamp anything. Sure worked for this tho!!!!!

Clamps.jpg

I like those calibres N4521U N4521U Bill. Where did you get them or name of them?
Here's what they is in Oz. Gonna have to get me some.

and this is the other gizmo that I use. I have a digital one as well but found the batteries were forever running out.

:thumbright: :D

Here's an idea for those of us in the Colonies:
A fast-food joint by the name of Jack in the Box offers a "breakfast platter" (scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage and mini pancakes) in a great plastic container.
The two piece container has an opaque lid, which allows you to see what's inside and I've come to find that these containers make great storage for small stuff.
They would even accommodate a partially built 1/72nd scale fighter or partially built components for larger scale builds (engines, cockpits, etc.) and they nest perfectly when empty.

So for the price of a breakfast on the go, you get some great storage options!

Winning! :D

20240413_214512.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back