Modern single engine General Aviation aircraft, as fighters?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd go with the MFI-15 or SAAB Safari, still produced today under licence....

General characteristics

Crew: one, pilot
Capacity: 1 passenger
Length: 7.00 m (23 ft)
Wingspan: 8.85 m (29 ft ½ in)
Height: 2.60 m (8 ft 6½ in)
Wing area: 11.90 m² (128.1 ft²)
Empty weight: 690 kg (1,521 lb)
Max takeoff weight: 1,200 kg (2,645 lb)
Powerplant: 1 × Avco Lycoming IO-360-A1B6 fuel injected, air cooled flat-4 piston engine, 200 hp (149 kW)

Performance

Maximum speed: 196 kts (362 km/h)
Cruise speed: 154 kts
Stall speed: 55 kts ()
Service ceiling: 6,100 m (20,000 ft)

COOL thread! I am a pilot and during my days as a flight instructor I actually DID have one or two (in hindsight ill-considered) mock dogfights with fellow instructors when we were out in the Flight Training Area...we were flying Czech-designed SambaXL aircraft with 4 cylinder Rotax 912 engines...good times! I reckon a SR22 would be a pretty good dogfighting platform...

You might want to check your source.

That "Maximum speed: 196 kts (362 km/h) " may actually be the dive speed.

Max level speed at sea level may be more like 141kts. Cruising speed 126-128kts. At least according to the 1972-73 Jane's. It also gives and empty weight of 600kg for the MFI-15 with max weights of 825kg acrobatic (+6G,-3G), 900kg utility (+4.4, -1.76G). 950kg normal and 1100kg in restricted class (1000kg max landing weight) as the MFI-17 with stations for underwing stores.
Granted a Piper Cherokee Arrow II is a bigger plane (1202kg) but using basically the same engine it goes 152kts at sea level with retractable landing gear.

Don't get me wrong, the MFI-15/17 was a pretty amazing little plane.

Lancair IV, 335 mph, catch me if you can. yeah, it's a kit, but there's a thousand plus of them out there, more than a lot of 'production' planes. For something a little bigger, the SOCATA TBM850, again it's fast, bigger payload, of course it is a turboprop......?

My sister in law's parents had a ground view of that war, they were missionaries in Nigeria close to the disputed territory. It was one vicious bloodbath.

Von Rosen is a very interesting individual. He was the nephew of Carin Rosen, Herman Goerings first wife.

Last edited:
That Lancair would be tough! I was thinking of something completely opposite, old school. First though was an old Navion. They have a sliding canopy, so I would feel cool getting in! I have always liked the Meyers 200d, built like a tank and pretty fast too.

Never mind, I just thought of the trump card, nobody can beat it! A Maule Rocket with 210hp. Were any of these aerobatic??

Ahh, still liking the Meyers, always thought they were cool. Plus I'm an ogre, I like aluminum and steel.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2LOSfUioyc Nice flyby!

Last edited:
There were a few Bonanza's built with an acrobatic rating, I don't know the differences or the limitations when doing acrobatics. I do believe there was a little bit of structural beefing up and I doubt that acrobatics were allowed with with a normal full load (back seat passengers and baggage)

Edit, from wiki;

F33C Bonanza
(1970) F33A certified for aerobatics, 118 built

Users who are viewing this thread