Monoplane,biplane or triplane?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Guys, I thought y'all might be interested in some pics of surviving monoplanes, biplanes and a Triplane in the Grahame White Hangar, my favourite part of Royal Air Force Museum. These were taken in 2009, so don't include the recently unveiled Sopwith Dolphin.

Starting with this one, my personal favourite of the RAF Museum's collection, the Bleriot XXVII. A classic in design with its elegantly faired tail section into its fuselage and its hooded cover over its exposed engine. A rare beauty.

Bleriot.jpg

Avro 504.

Avroi.jpg

Avroii.jpg

Another view of the speedy Bullet

Bullet.jpg

The awkward looking Caudron G-3 and its bungee supported undercarriage, making manoeuvring it on the ground a chore.

Caudroni.jpg

Caudronii.jpg

Gunbus reproduction.

Gunbusi.jpg

Gunbusii.jpg

Arn-REE-Oh Aitch Dee Wun, there's a rumour that this and the RAFM's Farman in store at Cosford are going to go to New Zealand in a swap with a Albatros D Va and RE.8 built by the Vintage Aviator Limited.

Hanrioti.jpg

Hanriotiii.jpg

A beautiful Pup repro built by Desmond St Cyrien in his workshop but notoriously claimed to be an original that was found in a non existent airship shed near Paris.

Pupi.jpg

Pupii.jpg

The formidable S.E.5a. Looks like a real fighter should.

SE5ai.jpg

SE5aii.jpg

1 Half Strutter; the first Multi Role Combat Aircraft.

Strutter.jpg

The Tabloid repro, neat little Zeppelin killer.

Tabloid.jpg

The infamous Tripe with its two deadly machine guns, when most fighters were only sporting one.

Triplanei.jpg

Triplaneii.jpg

Lastly, the Vimy reproduction named "Triple First" after the type's historic long range flights in the early 20th Century.

Vimy.jpg

:)

Last edited:
Amazing photographs!!!
I must add than I'm delighted to take a look at these great detailed pictures now than I'm engaged in reading The First Air War 1914-1918 By Lee Kennett. A great book packed with a substantial analysis of the overall evolution of air power throughout the Great War.

I would choose a by-plane with a large deep wing area compared to the body size[SE5a,Sopworth Pup],the best fighter of the war in my view was the Fokker D7 again the same idea,from the little i know of early monoplanes and Triplanes they both had weakness's,the monoplanes being harder to turn than both by/triplane due to stall speeds and the triplanes due to weak structures,what do you other chaps feel/think

Users who are viewing this thread

Back