<-- Mosquito FB.VI - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I usually shoot my Eduard IP's with a flat coat to knock back that pesky texture back a bit.

Thanks chaps.

Yes Andy, I've got lots of pics etc of the pedals, but thanks anyway. Not even going to try to replicate the shape fully, as I know that only the extreme bottom edges can only just be seen.

Not got any more done yet, but I have done all the measurements for the 'Gee' indicator, its R/F unit and the radio remote.
I'll be using rectangular tube, 'L' section and sheet, along with rod and round tube, to create 'masters' of these units, then duplicates will be cast in resin, as I'll need at least one more set for other Mosquito models.
I'm hoping that the 'Evergreen' rectangular plastic tube and 'L' section will arrive at my LHS on Thursday afternoon.
Mosquitoes in 2 Group, and in Bomber Command and Pathfinders, as well as many other Mossie units, were not fitted with the TR 1154/1155 radio equipment, supplied in nearly every Mosquito kit (although early Mossies in these units did have them, and some PRU aircraft continued to use them).
The aircraft were fitted with the 'Gee' navigational aid, with the indicator unit behind the pilot's seat, and its Radio Frequency unit on the shelf behind the navigator. Alongside of this was the R/F unit for the SCR 522 radio, which operated remotely, the actual radio equipment being housed in the mid fuselage, accessed via the hatch on the lower, starboard side of the aft fuselage.
The radio aerial could be internal or, depending on the sub-type of radio, a whip antenna replaced the earlier external mast.
The antenna for the 'Gee' receiver was fitted internally, although many pics of 'Gee' equipped Mossies show a whip antenna, 41 inches long, which extended from beneath the rear of the cockpit canopy, offset to port.
The pic and diagram below show the arrangement. The radio R/F unit was fitted to the empty rack seen on the starboard side in the photo, with the top of the pilot's seat armour visible at right, the photo being taken through the open escape hatch in the cockpit roof.
Note how extremely cramped the cockpit is with all this equipment crammed in !

Bob's Mosquito Build 019.jpg
Mosquito GEE fit.jpg

Oh, so you're having a mild winter so far then !
Temperatures here are going daft - one day it's -2, and the next day, like today, it's 12 degrees !!

Yes Geo, a sort of wrinkly skin appearance, very common on electrical and radio equipment, for example, up to the 1950s. You might have seen it on home movie projectors, in a grey finish
It can be seen on this enlarged view of part of the Eduard panel. When given a coat of matt or semi matt varnish, this looks quite convincing on the Eduard panels.
It's not an intentional feature on their part, just coincidence, and part of the process used in the production of the PE parts.

Bob's Mosquito Build 014.JPG

Here's an actual Mossie blind flying panel. Personally, I think Eduard should not try to replicate the finish on small scales. Flat black would do just fine.

RDB_9456 zoom.jpg

Can't quite make out if that's 'crackle' or matt black finish - looks like the latter, as the 'crackle' normally show the texture, even at a distance.
I don't think Eduard intentionally try to replicate the crackle finish Andy, it's just a part of the process I think, probably thermal printing, in order to capture the small detail.
But I agree, if they're able to make these in matt, then that would be better.

The panels from Eduard (Just got my second set for an upcoming B-24J build) appear at least to me as semi gloss or matt black. But I have seen the crackle finish on real panels. It is a very fine crackle finish which I think would be hard to replicate at scale.

Yes, some of the colours are a bit 'off' at times, but what's more irritating is the inaccuracy !

I bought the 'Zoom' sets for the Mosquito FB.VI and B.IV, mainly to save having to try to paint the very small engine instruments on the panels provided in the relevant kits.
Both of these sets are virtually identical, apart form one or two small, specific parts, and neither of them are 100% accurate, particularly the one for the FB.VI.
The main instrument panels are acceptable, and obviously a huge improvement on what can be achieved with a paint brush, but the fuel gauge panel for the starboard wall looks more like that seen in the Mosquito prototype (probably modelled from that aircraft, preserved at Salisbury Hall), and does not match the one in the FB.VI or the B.IV, and a couple of the smaller panels have incorrect placement instructions.
If just an instrument panel is required (apart from the other bits needed for a Mossie cockpit), then those from 'Yahu', ready made, coloured and glazed, look superior, both in accuracy and colour. I would have used 'Yahu' panels for this and the other Mosquito builds to come, but they were out of stock at the time.

Anyway, as I can't go any further with the NF.II at the moment, until the decals have had time to fully 'bed down' and set, I've returned to the FB.VI, and the cockpit has been prepared for detailing and painting.
Despite my comments (above) regarding the Eduard fuel gauges panel, I decided to use this after all, as I felt that, if painted, the instruments would not match, or be as 'refined', as those on the Eduard parts. Consequently, the raised instrument bezels on the top half of the kit panel have been sanded off, leaving the raised detail on the lower section, which will be highlighted once the panel and cockpit have been painted.
The main wiring bundles have been added, using lead wire, and some small details added to the walls and the bulkhead, using plastic rod and strip.
Those areas where scratch-built or pre-printed PE parts will be attached, have been masked with small rectangles of Tamiya tape, before brush-painting the cockpit overall in Humbrol 78, RAF Cockpit Grey Green, lightened with a spot or two of matt white.

PICS 1 and 2 Show the cockpit walls, with the added detail and the tape masks. The red arrows indicate the line of the front bulkhead, with that on the port wall also being a guide for the placement of a scratch-built bulkhead on this side, so that the cables can be placed and cut without fouling the fit of the assembled cockpit. The yellow arrow marks the line of the inner face of the instrument panel, to aid in the placement of the parts masks, and the parts themselves, to ensure they will not foul, or be too close, to the panel when fitted.
PIC 3. The engine control rods have been fitted to the bulkhead, using thin plastic rod, and the locating slot for the kit's redundant R1155 radio receiver has been filled with plastic card, and is in the process of being sanded in this shot.
PICS 4 and 5. The cockpit walls painted in the Cockpit Grey Green.

When the paint has dried, the masks will be removed, and some scratch-built parts will be fitted, along with some of the Eduard parts.
The various panels will be re-touched as required after fitting, and the cables etc will be painted, before moving on to the detail areas for the main instrument panel, control column, seats and Navigator's back and head armour.
I have now received the materials to make the 'masters' for the 'Gee' equipment etc, and I hope to get these made, and the resin duplicates cast, over the next couple of days.
Once done, they'll be detailed, painted, and fitted to the 'shelf' behind the seats, along with the relevant wiring.
Thanks again for your continued interest, and I might have some more pics later - if I don't get the PE parts stuck to my fingers !!

Bob's Mosquito Build 020.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 021.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 022.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 023.JPG
Bob's Mosquito Build 024.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back