Mossie vs Ju88

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

well lets see now.....actually they are a bit faded over time of 60 years like this one, more of the IV./NJG 3 bunch with a G-1 variant in the center

skydstrup3_128.jpg

feiertag-smiley-003.gif

from I./NJG 3 and Kommandeur Werner Huseman's Bordfünker, RK winner H.G. Schierholz. From the RK web-site

Ritterkreuzträger Hans-Georg Schierholz
Oberfeldwebel, Nachtjäger

Hans-Georg Schierholz wurde am 16. August 1921 in Lage/Werra/Lipper Bergland geboren.
Er begann am 15.08.1936 mit der Segenfliegerausbildung, die er am 10.09.1936 abschloss.
Nach seiner Arbeitsdienstpflicht, die vom 01.04.1939 bis zum 25.10.1939 andauerte, meldete er sich zur Luftwaffe. So wurde er am 01.12.1939 zur Luftnachrichtentruppe nach Berlin-Kladow einberufen.
Nach erfolgter Bordfunkerausbildung vom 01.04.1940 bis 13.09.1940 an der Bordfunkerschule in Halle/Saale kam er am 14.09.1940 zur weiteren Ausbildung an die Blindflugschule Stargard in Pommern und ab dem 16.10.1940 an die Zerstörerschule nach Schleißheim, wo er seine Ausbildung beendete.
Er war unter anderem in Einweisungsflügen unterrichtet worden, in taktischem FT-Funkverkehr, in der Flugsicherung, bei Ziel- und Übungsflügen, im Luftschießen, bei Platzflügen, in der Eigen- und Feindpeilung, sowie auf Verbandsflügen.
Am 05.02.1941 erfolgte seine Versetzung zur 1. (Ergänzungsstaffel) des Nachtjagdgeschwaders 3 nach Echterding. Hier flog er mit dem Flugzeugführer Rudolf Frank, den er von seiner Ausbildung in Schleißheim kannte, weitere Einweisungs- und Übungsflüge.
Am 01.03.1941 wird Schierholz zum Gefreiten befördert und die Besatzung Frank zur 1. Staffel der I. Gruppe des Nachtjagdgeschwaders 3, nach Vechta versetzt.
Am 09.05.1941 startete die Besatzung frank zu ihrem ersten Nachtjagdeinsatz mit einer Me 110 (Kennzeichen L1+GH). Der erste Abschusserfolg brachte der 04.07.1941 als man einen britischen Wellington-Bomber abschoss. Für die Beteiligung erhielt Schierholz am 04.07.1941 das Eiserne Kreuz II. Klasse.
Bis zum 13.08.1941 führte die Besatzung Frank 20 Nachteinsätze durch und verdiente sich damit die Frontflugspange für Nachtjäger in Bronze. Weiterhin wurde Schierholz mit Wirkung vom 01.09.1941 zum Unteroffizier befördert.
Am 01.05.1942 schoss man den 4. Gegner ab, wofür Schierholz am 01.05.1942 das Eiserne Kreuz I. Klasse erhielt und am 06.07.1942 die Frontflugspange für Nachtjäger in Silber für den 60. Nachteinsatz.
Am 30.06.1942 musste Schierholz mit dem Fallschirm abspringen, da der kühler der Maschine zerschossen wurde.
Am 30. Juni 1942 verlegte die Gruppe nach Rheine/Westfalen. Die Besatzung Frank stieg nun um auf eine Dornier 217. Im Januar 1943 befand sich die Besatzung wieder in Vechta, fliegt er wieder mit der Me 110. Im April 1943 wird er zur 2. Staffel des Nachtjagdgeschwaders 3 nach Wittmundhafen versetzt und auf der Ju 88 eingewiesen. Während er später vom Flugplatz Gilze-Rijen startet erhält er nach 110 Nachteinsätzen am 28.08.1943 die Frontflugspange für Nachtjäger in Gold.
Am 27.071943 liegt die Gruppe wieder in Wittmundhafen und verlegt Anfang 1944 wieder nach Vechta. Dort wird Schierholz am 01.02.1944 zum Feldwebel befördert und erhielt für 15 Abschussbeteiligungen am 20.03.1944 den Ehrenpokal für besondere Leistungen im Luftkrieg. Am selben Tag wurde ihm für 10 weitere Abschüsse das Deutsche Kreuz in Gold verliehen.
Am 26.04.1944 wurde die Maschine abgeschossen, Schierholz und der Bordwart Schneider konnten sich mit dem Fallschirm retten, Frank allerdings kam zu Tode. Ihm wurde posthum das 531. Eichenlaub verliehen und zum Leutnant befördert.
Schierholz flog ab den 16.06.1944 mit Major Werner Husemann, dem Gruppenkommandeur der I. Gruppe des Nachtjagdgeschwaders 3. Bis zum 18.08.1944 fliegt er mit der Me 110 und der Ju 88 und wird zum Oberfeldwebel befördert.
Nach 50 Nachtabschüssen wird Schierholz zum Ritterkreuz eingereicht und erhält es am 29.10.1944. Husemann hatte es bereits nach dem 30. Abschuss am 30.09.1944 erhalten.
Nach einem Einsatz am 26.11.1944 musste die Maschine im Raum Ringelnatter notlanden. Schierholz hatte einen Steckschuss im Unterschenkel erhalten.
Schierholz absolvierte 212 Nachteinsätzen und 57 Abschussbeteiligungen und 4 Fallschirmausstiege.
Den Krieg beendete er in Grove/Dänemark
Hans-Georg Schierholz starb am 12. Februar 1986 in Lippstadt/Nordrhein-Westfalen.

During 1945 Werner Huseman's first gruppe did much in the way of protection of the northern waters of Denmark and Germany against the RAF and their "Gardening" (mining operations). Equipped with the Ju 88G-6 in December of 44 and fitted with the FuG 220D set

an addition to the above German text: a small but noteworthy foto of Werner Huseman Kommandeur of I./NJG 3 and his crew with the Ritterkreuz winner Hans-Georg Schierholz next to their non-com wart. A crew of 4 with the Ju 88G-6 in the back ground at base.

crew_Husemann.jpg

feiertag-smiley-003.gif

last captured example for the eve.....another IV./NJG 3 bird. Note the individual Black letter A on the nose indicating the individual aircraft in the staffel. May indicate the Staffelkapitän's mount but then again ..... also a slight variation of the welle pattern camo, grey-violet over a very light Blue-white. Old pic and colours have a tendancy to be slightly washed out

skydstrup2.jpg

think the Bat smilie is ap-prapo for the night fighter thread.....

feiertag-smiley-003.gif

I do believe that some of you Mossie experten should post the RAF nf details as it is not my intent to make this thead so one-sided

Attachments

• rl141_136.jpg
    rl141_136.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 883
sehr gut ! found my correspondance with ace and friend Heinz Rokker and his last mission of the war, the last kill being a Mossie night fighter..... he had first thought it was a P-61B but further research indicates otherwise

more on this

a kleine prelude ..........

I./NJG 2 Kommandeur was RK mit Eichenlaub Hauptmann Gerhard Raht who by wars end had some 171 missions and 58 victoreis to his credit

raht2.jpg

the man that supported his success was friend and Bordfünker Leutnant Anton Heinemann who served on Rahts crew almost from the very start with 170 missions to his credit and aiding Raht with 56 Abschuße.

44Heinmannphotographfrt.jpg

this crew besides being totaly brilliant in the night skies over the Reich scored multiple kills on several nights, most notably on the eve of 7.2.45 with 6 RAF Lancasters shot down at:

00.16 and
00.23 hrs

with Raht and Fahenjunker-Feldwebel Heinemann were Unteroffizer Rohlfs-Zoll and Bordmechaniker Unteroffizier Hesse. Also a very successful night was the last mission of Heinz Rokker and his crew, that of 15.3.45 When Kommandeur Raht and his crew shot down another 5 Lancsters flying their Ju 88G-6 coded: 4R+AB equipped with FuG 350ZC naxos and the standard FuG 220d set with 45 degree dipoles. Schragwaffen of two 2cm weapons as standard. The RAF heavies were shot down at:

21.14 and
21.20 hrs.

On April 15, 1945 Raht was presented the Oak leaves to his Knights Cross and Heinemann was presented the Knights Cross and a promotion to Leutnant on April 17, 1945, truly two of the most outstanding Luftwaffe Nachtjäger during the war.

and this leads us now into Heinz Rokkers last mission on the same evening

sticking with info on I./NJG 2 for the time being in 1945, it appears that one Ju 88G-6 was confirmed as shot down within the gruppe.

Ju 88G-6 of 3./NJG 2 flown by Leutnant Straßner, Fw. Hahn and Unteroffizier Pareidt on February 1, 1945, during an operational engagement. The three crewmembers bailed out safely

Getns still going through his letters and the story behind the Mossie kill and the night in general which is in German......

anyone want to add two ¢ on the Mossie night fighter please do until I get this info on Heionz up and running

≈ E ≈

Correcto meine freund ! only in JG 300 using the Bf 109G variants

A little notation: not all of JG 301/302's victories are listed in W. Reschke's book.

Gents am getting a little side tracked here but have confirmed two kills of Hptm Becker flying a Ju 88G-6 on night of March 14/15, 1945 when he scored an unreal 9 victories all confirmed ! I have cross referenced two of them now and found one of the Lancasters shot down by the bordfünker and his MG 131 13mm weapon ande the Fortress. Karl shot down 2 Lancs and 1 Fortress III with it as the Ju 88G-6 did not have Schrägwaffen. Am offering the info to Dutch author Theo Boiten who I have mentioned in the past encompassing in his book for next fall over 1000 + German night pilots and their victories. the book will most undoubtedly be a monument to the German/RAF crews during the conflict. the March 14/15, 45 and Becker vs the RAF will cover several pages in length in the book. All I can say is it will be on the top of my "wish" listing for 2006.

≈ E

just a brief note for now............

before I put up Heinz Rökkers acct of his Mossie NF downing wanted to say I am going to be in correspondance soon with a 3./NJG 2 pilot who was shot down by a Mossie nf and hopeful to have his story up within a months time here : Johannes Straßner

by the way my avatar is the Wappenshield of NJG 100 and the siggy is a Ju 88G-6 one of about 30-40 a/c from the Langensalza factory toward wars end captured bu a US armored unit and later used by of all things ,,,,,,,, one of the US P-61 Black Widow squadrons for their own airfield

From Chris Stuart, 2001

The evening sun sets low on the western horizon and shoots rays of light through dark clouds-- a sign for the experienced flier that the weather will worsen. For us, this is familiar. The British usually time their raids so their takeoff and landing conditions are favorable, whereas we German night fighters struggle with bad weather over our hunting grounds. That is exactly the case tonight.

After our meal in the officers' mess at approximately 18:00 hours, we head to the Gefechtsstand (operation theater) for a briefing. At first, the MET gives us the weather forecast for Holland, Belgium and Northern Germany, warning us of heavy thunderstorms, and he gives us special information for tonight regarding flak-defended areas, searchlight positions, radio frequencies and tonight's possible targets (set by the high command at the town of Stade, 60 miles west of Hamburg). Afterward, the crews retire to their readiness rooms, and the officers remain in the operation theater, where the ground-control officers-- and many radar girls-wait for the enemy bombers to appear on their screens.

Now begins a time of increasing nervous tension. In a way, the attackers are better off, as they have definite orders when to take off, where to fly, etc. The defenders have to wait, wait and wait! And this tension rises to a peak and then fades again. The telephone rings; but the call is unimportant.
Continue article
Advertisement
tranqulty_300x250_SBSRGR

To understand the pressure we live with at this stage of the War, consider the following facts: most of us are still flying the Bf 110, which is heavily armed but slow. It is absolutely readiness for experienced crews only]. It applies only to ObIt. Schmidt and me. (From the summer of 1944, there was an alarming shortage of fuel, and under doubtful weather conditions, we did not expect the younger crews to have any success.)

My crew, Bordfunker (wireless/radar operator) "Schani" Pinter [Austrian] and our so-called "third man" Emil Mathan have already arrived at the hangar by crew truck. The 1.Wart (first mechanic) has checked our plane (G9+ES), and it is ready for flight. We squeeze ourselves into the cockpit, fasten our parachutes and seatbelts and wait for further orders. Fortunately, the rain has stopped and the thunderstorms have moved away to the east. Will we be ordered to take off? Or is this just another false alarm?

Suddenly, at 00:13 hours, the sleeping airfield comes to life! A white flash rises into the sky to indicate "Startbefehl" (our order to take off). At the same time, the loudspeaker in the hangar announces the order: "Startbefehl each Funkfeuer Quelle" (takeoff to radio beacon Quelle [fountain]-the code word for the letter "Q," situated 150 miles west of Hamburg). My technician closes the roof of the canopy; I start the engines. Taxiing to the departure point must be done in absolute darkness; there are no identification lights or taxiway markings. In case intruders are patrolling the area, we sometimes have to take off without the runway's being lit by the flare path. In such a case, a dim light at the end of the runway guides us in the proper direction.

The first one airborne is ObIt. Schmidt. When I see the sparks coming from his exhaust pipes, I know he is away and it is my turn. When I push the throttles forward, my plane immediately roars down the runway and into the night. I am surrounded by absolute darkness. We are in clouds with our course set for 70 degrees; we climb at full power and are shaken by the ever increasing storm clouds around us. Lightning occasionally illuminates the cockpit in a ghostly, pale color. All of a sudden, a mauve light flickers on our aerials and propeller tips-"Elmsfeuer."

My "ES" becomes increasingly difficult to fly as the grip of ice takes over, and we are tossed like a toy by the forces of nature. Shaken up and down, I am concerned as we slowly inferior in every way to the Mosquito, and it is sometimes slower than the four-engine Lancasters without their bomb load. The Heinkel He 219, equal to the Mosquito, is supplied to only 20 to 30 crews. Far superior to all Allied aircraft is the new, jet-powered Arado 234. (A night-fighter version of the Arado was proposed, but it came too late and was used only as a reconnaissance aircraft at altitudes of over 30,000 feet during the last three months of the War.) Furthermore, radio communication and radar (ground/air, board/board and the airborne radar) are often completely jammed by specially equipped RAF bombers that fly in formations.

To overcome the jamming, the German controllers sometimes use other methods to pass information about the anticipated target to pilots. Radio stations transmit music typical of the area that the controllers thought were to be bombed. Example: Viennese waltzes if Austria (then Germany) was suspected; shanties for Hamburg; carnival songs for the Rhineland; typical Bavarian melodies for Munich and operettas from well-known Berlin composers for Berlin.

Thus, little information about the bomber formation's course, altitude or main target (there are always diversionary raids) is available to us. Furthermore, the increasing effective action of the Mosquito intruders, with their superior radar and flying performance-coupled with poor weather and inexperienced crews-contribute to many of our losses. All this while facing defeat within the foreseeable future! In spite of it all, the crews' morale remains high; nobody speaks about the terrible end. Everybody secretly hopes for the "wonder weapons" promised by our political leaders.

We do not hate the British or the Americans; these boys are doing their duty just as we are. Neither side can change the political situation, so we have to carry on with our job to prevent as many Allied bombers as possible from destroying our cities and killing our people.

24:00 hours

We are still waiting. The weather has deteriorated; from time to time, lightning flashes light up the night and are followed by thunder and heavy rain. Suddenly, the phone rings again. ObIt. Schmidt answers it. Immediately we can see from his face that something is happening. "Erhohte Bereitschaft!" [readiness]. We quickly put on our flight suits and wait for the order to rush to our aircraft in the hangars. A couple of minutes later, the order comes through: "Sitzbereitschaft fur Spitzenbesatzungen" [cockpit start to lose altitude. After several agonizing minutes, we break free into a shaft of clear air. The ice loosens its grip, slips away, and we are now safe and can fly freely again to 21,000 feet. The hunt begins.

When we reach radio beacon "Queue,' the first RAF pathfinders are dropping their target indicators. We see cascades of red, green and white flares marking the aiming point. They light up the area and descend slowly on little parachutes. We call them "Christbaume' (Christmas trees). From now on, it doesn't take long for the terrible spectacle to begin! Thirty miles away, we can see the first explosions on the ground in Hamburg, and they're followed by widespread fires. These eventually combine into one enormous fire that covers entire suburbs with a disastrous firestorm. The updraft brings wind velocities of 120mph, and the firestorm consumes everything in its path; there is no chance at all!

Soon, we see the first kills by night fighters and flak: Lancasters, Halifaxes and our own comrades go down as orange colored torches, descending in steep dives to explode on impact with the ground. We see parachutes of the lucky men who manage to bail out; there are not many! Searchlights move all over the night sky, looking like pale arms of an octopus in search of prey. In addition, explosions of antiaircraft shells at all altitudes make life difficult for friend and foe! Over the city are many aircraft from both sides, and there are collisions.

Altogether, it is an inferno-hell for everybody. We night fighters can easily be seen by enemy bombers' gunners and by the marauding British night fighters, and we are hit by our own flak. We have to be cautious to avoid colliding with other aircraft, as all around us are at least 50 to 80 four-engine bombers and a similar number of night fighters. Bombs, incendiaries and target indicators fall between us. The fires send up their light to 20,000 feet. It is as bright as day; you could read a newspaper! The smell of smoke fills our cockpit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back