Most Beautiful Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gentlemen.... just remember, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I like the Zero and the Spitfire....

And for a civilian aircraft, the DC-3 and the Northrop "Gamma"

Charles

For me it is the:

Bf 109
05_Messershmitt_ME109.jpg

Spitfire
spitfire.gif

Mossie
DSC00650.jpg

B-17
100_0418.jpg

Fw 190D
FW-190D-BW.jpg

Has the Spitfire not won yet?

The Do 335? Are we talking about the same plane?:shock:

The Hawker Hunter was a looker...and the AlphaJet has always been a nice'un

How about the Hughes XF-11(A):

Simple, clean, minimum drag and two socking great 'Corncobs'! It went like greased weasel wotsit and looked the part too.

Attachments

• showimage[1].jpg
    showimage[1].jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 180
I thought the Hughes XF-11A had contra-rotating props. This pic just
shows regular props......

'Twas the XF-11 with the contra-props, which gave a lot of trouble (was that the one that crashed, nearly killing Mr Hughes? - I think so). The XF-11A had conventional props as illustrated above. But for completeness (can someone re-size?):

Attachments

• imgthumb.jpg
    imgthumb.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 166
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 184
Makes you wonder ... how many succesful planes were equiped with contra-props??

They seem to fall into an English or Soviet category?
Just a few that I could think of, that were 'successful'
Antonov An-22
Tupolev 'Bear' and 'Cleat'
Westland Wyvern
Fairey Gannet
Avro Shackleton.

'Twas the XF-11 with the contra-props, which gave a lot of trouble (was that the one that crashed, nearly killing Mr Hughes? - I think so). The XF-11A had conventional props as illustrated above. But for completeness (can someone re-size?):

Please also mention where u got the pics...

Attachments

• re.jpg
    re.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 155
  • re2.jpg
    re2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 170
While you can claim resounding success for the Bear, Shack, and **** the Gannet was if'e at best and the Wyvern (all though completely beautiful) was a complete failure.

While you can claim resounding success for the Bear, Shack, and **** the Gannet was if'e at best and the Wyvern (all though completely beautiful) was a complete failure.

The Gannet was a successful answer to building a small carrier-based aircraft combining anti-submarine search and strike capability and using gas-turbine engines that ran on ship's diesel fuel. The central feature of the design was the engine which had two power sections that could be run independently. In other words one prop could be shut down to reduce fuel consumption, extend engine life and patrol time. Served the Fleet air Arm and exported to Australia, West Germany and Indonesia.

The Wyvern..a troubled development, but ninety eight S.4 versions built, eventually equipped four first-line squadrons, two which took part in the Suez war of 56' whose Squadron Commander of that conflict (C.W. Howard) described as... "a steady weapons platform. On army support patrol...it could offer a fully loaded 20mm cannon, sixteen 3 in rockets with 60 lb HE heads and a 1,000 lb bomb; with such a configuration we were able to give the Para (Parachute Regiment) effective support. It was also a good photo-reconnaissance vehicle, in both both vertical and oblique modes".

But then it all depends on what the critera for 'success' is..doesn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back