Most impressive air display

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

as a kid at the local airshow watching a Vulcan take off, near vertical climb out and wing over.
the sound even now if i hear it on T.V makes my hair stand on end, i remeber you could "feel" the sound vibrating through your body, and to see such a large aircraft being chucked about like a Spitfire was amazing

Ground shaking and to paraphrase Slade 'a wall of noise'
Shame they have all but disappeared.
Cheers
John

Perhaps you both are aware of this already; we have a Vulcan here in the States. I saw it at the Museum located at the old Castle AFB in central California. Very impressive just sitting still and it gave me flashbacks of the opening of "Thunderball".

Another experience just popped back in my memory. In the summer of 1953 I along with a few other guys had just graduated from high school and we spent a week camped out on Padre Island down on the Gulf Of Mexico. We were out in the surf and a hotshot from Corpus Christi NAS in an F8F decided to do a low pass over us. He came screaming down parallel to the beach line right over us and his prop wash was disturbing the surf. WOW! He was low!

Last edited:
Perhaps you both are aware of this already; we have a Vulcan here in the States. I saw it at the Museum located at the old Castle AFB in central California. Very impressive just sitting still and it gave me flashbacks of the opening of "Thunderball".

They are HUGE on the ground aren't they.
I'm not sure if any are still flying these days....
Cheers
John

Another experience just popped back in my memory. In the summer of 1953 I along with a few other guys had just graduated from high school and we spent a week camped out on Padre Island down on the Gulf Of Mexico. We were out in the surf and a hotshot from Corpus Christi NAS in an F8F decided to do a low pass over us. He came screaming down parallel to the beach line right over us and his prop wash was distubing the surf. WOW! He was low!

Oh for a camcorder I bet that was an fantastic sight Renrich.

I have to say the Mildenhall Air Fetes in the mid-80s were very cool. We got to see the Vulcan, EE Lightning, Lancaster, Spitfires, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, Phantoms, Aardvarks, starfighters, Blackbirds, Dragon Ladies, and number of other really cool aircraft. I don't think we will ever see days like that again, sadly.

I was a teen in the mid 70's when in Harlingen, TX and saw Bob Hoover fly a dang good show in a civilian twin with the engines off, I will never forget that.

:)I've seen the Thunderbirds perform, 4 times, F100, F4, T38, and F16, from 68-95. But I was always more interested in the prop jobs.

The airshow that got my attention the best probably only lasted 10 seconds. Four black T28s, in a diamond 4, about 50 feet above the ramp, inverted, at Nakhon Phanom, Thailand, in 1967.

It got my undivided attention, because I was driving across that ramp in a tractor pulling a trailer loaded with about 10- 66 or 100 gallon napalm bombs.

Last edited:
I've been to some great airshows over the years both here and in the States.

Back in the Eighties, I used to go to the Great Warbirds air displays at West Malling and the Fighter Meet at North Weald. A good selection of warbirds and even some of those jet thingies !.

I've been to Oshkosh twice and the Confeder...sorry... Commemorative Airsho, once. Oshkosh is just so beedin huge, you really do need to spend every bit of daylight on every day to try and take in about half of whats there.

Therre is one event that stands head and shoulders above the rest that I've been to and tha was back in 2007.

The Gathering of Mustangs and Legends at Rickenbaker International. OK, I might be a little bit biased because it was based around the Mustang, but the supporting events, the schedule and just the whole experience was just so good, it'll never be beaten as far as I am concerned. I've nearly worn out my copy of the DVD of the event, I've watched it soo many times !

I posted a few piccies.... out if the 5K plus I tooks !...here
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/warbird-displays/gathering-mustangs-legends-2007-a-10088.html

Truly an unforgetable excperience !

I've been to some great airshows over the years both here and in the States.

Back in the Eighties, I used to go to the Great Warbirds air displays at West Malling

I lived in Maidstone from 1981 - 1985 and went to West Malling. We may have been there at the same time !
Cheers
John

I lived in Maidstone from 1981 - 1985 and went to West Malling. We may have been there at the same time !
Cheers
John

Dont think I missed any of them..still got some of the brochures up in the loft !

I remember seeing an F-18 fly a low pass into a steep climb right over my head.
The blue angles flew out of the local airbase near San Jose.
They did the trick where each plane fans out from a center point at low level, then they pull up and climb looping back.
The smoke trail they form looks like a big pumpkin. It was the only stunt they did that brought all the jets out away from the main show.
After seeing this a couple times, i knew exactly where to stand.
I got a good view of the plane going up as it passed.

I was sort of lucky being stationed at NKP, RTAFB, I got air shows every day for 6 months, in 67.

It only had a psp runway at the time, so the only jet that ever took off from there was C-141's. Since we were the nearest base jets returning from N. Vietnam could reach, damaged F-105's and F-4's would land there, but they never took off. They'd return to their base under a Skycrane.,

It was a daily diet of A1E H's, A-26's, P-2's, O-1 2's, AC-47's ( puff the magic dragon ) All the various C aircraft in the enventory, various aircraft operated by Air America, Helio Couriers, Dorniers , Pilatus's and of course those black T-28's, that were definitely not trainers. The had guns and bombs, and were usually flown by little guys in black flight suits ( Thai Laotian ) Not one visible marking on the aircraft, like nobody could figure where they came from.

The A1's and O 's were the only ones that operated by day, but we saw the others doing their check flights. We'd see the ocassional A1 or O-2 coming in trailing smoke, or more often we'd see Jolly Greens and several A-1's going out to try and rescue downed crew.

I can remember when one of the Navy's P-2's went down over the trail, and the shock I felt when I was told it had a crew of 12, and they were all gone.

I remember when a Constellation with the radar dish did a emergency landing, since it couldn't be Skycraned, they offloaded all the electronic gear they could, and flew it away. It barely made it, I think it defolated some trees and scared some monkeys.

I used to built models when I was young, when I really really retire, I think I'll build a model of every aircraft at that base, i'd better do them in 1/72.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back