Most Influential Ship?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

someone should read through this thread and shortlist the classes and inidvidua ships, we could then put together a poll to vote on the issue. who wants to volunteer?????

We seem to have to different criteria going.

Which ship had the most influence on the ships after it, design, architecture or propulsion?

Which individual ship had the most influence on the war. Capturing code machines etc.

Which ship created the most havoc or needed the most resources to track down or put out of action.

yep, I guess Furious and Argus' WW2 records were not as illustrious as many - even Illustrious', but Furious' at least was in WW1! Influential? Without a doubt.

Warspite had a pretty damn good war, even though it had been put out of action by a glide bomb; was in the Norwegian campaign, Meditteranean at Matapan, Salerno and at D-Day... Should have preserved her.

You might say that Illustrious had an illustrious career, but Furious was furious in her war(s) (poor attempt at humour0....

You mean to say you didn't have "Rockin' all over the world" by Status Quo on the car stereo of your cousin's beat up old Camaro when you lost yours, Mongrel?

Last edited:
1961? Elvis released Blue Hawaii, Ben E King released his number one smash Stand by Me (Fantastic track) and Chubby Checker did the twist again... Just for tasters.

A Liberty Ship in an Arctic convoy bound for Russia.
arctic-convoy-merchant-ship-1-595x446.jpg

British troops in a Landing Craft Assault (LCA), Sicily, 9 July 1943.
Troops-in-Landing-craft-595x594.jpg

American soldiers drive a US army scout car from a landing craft onto the beach at Licata, Sicily.
Husky-US-troops-595x373.jpg

Men of the Highland Division are up to their waists in water unloading stores from LCTs, Sicily July 1943
Highland-division-at-Sicily-595x437.jpg

If we are talking about influential as meaning as having had influence over events rather than having a had direct hand in events then my vote goes for HMS Illustrious as it was the Taranto raid that opened Japanese eyes to the possibility of knocking out the American fleet while in harbour.

I am the first to give credit to Illustrious for its "illustrious" wartime service. And certainly Taranto had its effect on Japanese thinking. But the Japanese had always held to the notion of delivering a prewar preemptive strike since at least 1895. Theyt certainly had used a surprise attack at Poty Arthut and against the Chinese in thair conquests of Formosa...

Glad someone mentioned HMS Bulldog and the capture of the Enigma codes from U110. Undoubtedly of huge influence, albeit temporarily as code books were changed over time.

Just to throw a completely different idea out there - how about the German auxiliary raider Atlantis? In Nov 40 she captured the British ship Automedon which carried the complete order of battle for the British in the Far East and showed just how weak the defences in Singapore actually were.

Germany duly passed that intelligence to Tokyo and it undoubtedly had a huge impact on Japan's decision to embark on the southern strategy once the American trade embargo against Japan started to bite in July 1941. With British weakeness in the Far East clearly identified, Japan had confidence in the ability to embark on their aggression against French Indochina, Siam, Malaya, Singapore, Burma and the Dutch East Indies.

In addition, with the southern strategy identified as the main axis of effort for Japan, the need to limit the influence of America's Pacific Fleet and protect the route from Japan to the Gulf of Thailand led to the attack on Pearl Harbor and the invasion of the Philippines.

Overall, quite an impact methinks!

How about the USS Sutton as this was the ship that the u boat carrying uranium from Germany to Japan surrendered to in 1945 after the German surrender. I know it was just luck on the part of the USS Sutton that it happened to be in the right place at the right time and there was no struggle involved but I believe the capture of the uranium was very significant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back