Most Influential Ship?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have read that the Cold War, the American nuclear sub force was a major deterrent to war with the USSR.

I suppose the deterring Armageddon may be considered "influential"!
:shock:

I have read that the Cold War, the American nuclear sub force was a major deterrent to war with the USSR.
I truly believe that and vice versa. Tom Clancey did as well with his excellent book-The Hunt for Red October.

The thing that I find amusing is that the british admiralty at first objected to the use of submarines because they were "Damned un-English" Also that in both wars, the hun used U-boats,which were dark and evil and thoroughly nasty things who's crews were villanous, darsterdly murderous pirates whereas the Royal Navy used submarines which were good and wonderfull, a completely different thing, and who's crews were gentlemen of the sea. It is also worth noting that Doenitz and Co. stood trial for unrestrictedU-boat warfare, Yet the US navy's unrestricted submarine warfare in the pacific was considered quite reasonable.

I know its not really anything to do with how a ship is influential, I just thought I'd mention it.:)

Last edited:
I truly believe that and vice versa. Tom Clancey did as well with his excellent book-The Hunt for Red October.

I am sure you are right Amsel! I think overall the US held the advantage throughout most of the Cold War, with a few exceptions of some of the newer russian subs the US subs were usually quieter, safer, and more technologically advanced.

HK, as to your observation about the different perceptions of US and German sub warfare, I believe you will find that, during Doenitz's trial at Nuremberg, Admiral Nimitz, of the USN, testified that the US employed the same tactics in the PTO that Germany did in the ETO. Perhaps Nimitz felt a kinship with Doenitz because they were both of German extraction and both had names that ended in Z. LOL

I n 1939 the British had far more subs than the Germans, at that moment in time I can think of no other tactics that subs could be employed for other than to blockade and attack commerce. The British would have done exactly the same as everyone else but it was not a target rich enviroment for them.

HK, as to your observation about the different perceptions of US and German sub warfare, I believe you will find that, during Doenitz's trial at Nuremberg, Admiral Nimitz, of the USN, testified that the US employed the same tactics in the PTO that Germany did in the ETO. Perhaps Nimitz felt a kinship with Doenitz because they were both of German extraction and both had names that ended in Z. LOL

Good one, Ren! :):)

The quantity of Liberty Ships America was able to produce negated any influence of U Boats on the outcome of the war.

Capacity of One Liberty Ship Brochure 1943
libshipcov.jpg
1.jpg

2.jpg
6.jpg

15.jpg
7.jpg

12.jpg
13.jpg

17.jpg
18.jpg

Last edited:
Good call Fastmongrel - having the ability to read your opponents plans as quickly as they can is a definite advantage!

I would vote Enterprise for a USN ship - she was everywhere wasn' t she?
An a hard choice between Illustious and Warspite. With Illustrious getting the nod.
The Taranyo raid showed the balance of power had gone to airpower rather than gunfire. The IJN learned a lot from that raid, which they used to the USN's cost !

Last edited:
HMS Bulldog a boarding team from Bulldog boarded U110 and captured an Enigma set but much more importantly the code books and documentation that went with it that helped Bletchley Park to crack the U Boat codes.

Without that documentation enigma might not have been cracked and the Battle of the Atlantic might have been considerably bloodier and delayed D Day.

HMS Bulldog (H91) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

German submarine U-110 (1940) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This line of thinking also opens the way to name HMS Petard as one of the most influential ships thanks to sinking of U-559, but IMHO Turbinia might still take the title.

Juha

HMS Petard is the only allied ship to sink submarines from Germany, Italy and Japan. Not a bad effort for a little ship.
Finding an enigma machine and code books was a big bonus!

HMS Furious; the very first true aircraft carrier. Embarked the first carrier based interceptor squadron 'F' Sqn, comprising Sopwith Pups in 1917. This unit's commanding officer was Sqn Cdr Edwin Harris Dunning, who made history as the first airman to land an aeroplane on the deck of a carrier on 2 August 1917. From Furious the first successful aircraft carrier launched air strike in history was launched, when seven Sopwith 2F1 Camels attacked the airship sheds at Tondern, destroying the sheds and the airships within, on 18 July 1918. Furious also pioneered aircraft arrestor systems and some truly bizarre ideas were tested aboard her after deck, which resulted in some interesting crash scenarios.

As for carrier battle groups; again, the Royal Navy did this first with her seaplane tenders carrying out anti-Zeppelin patrols off the German coast armed with Sopwith Pups and accompanied by cruisers and destroyers in support.

I also put forward HMS Argus, the very first 'flat-top' carrier (Furious' flight deck was built around its superstructure; the ship was designed as a 'Large Light Cruiser' with a single 18.1 inch gun in each turret fore and aft, although she was launched with a flying off deck on her bow in place of the forward turret. At the time Dunning made his landings the aft turret was still fitted and as a result of his landings the ship was further modified with a landing deck aft.). Argus was commissioned in September 1918 and in mid October the very first aircraft carrier based torpedo squadron, 185 Sqn equipped with Sopwith Cuckoos was formed at RAF East Fortune and declared operational aboard the carrier. Argus also pioneered the fixed island superstructure to one side of the flight deck, although hers was a dummy, aircraft practised take offs with it - she was not built with one.

Both these ships pioneered aircraft carrier operations and therefore had profound influence on the conduct of WW2. Ironically both ships also survived WW2, out-living their contemporaries, Hermes, Hosho etc, only to be unceremoniously scrapped post war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back