Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....?

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So the 200 hours was primary 60, basic 70 and advanced 70 which were all in dedicated training aircraft. Then an extra 40 hours in a combat type plane. Good to know, thanks.
Not necessarily, names are important. At the end of the link is the section "transition training" which is said to take two months. I saw a WW2 era graphic about training which definitely included the number 200 hours in USA or UK.

I said should not have attacked the us. So they did not do what i advised.
For Japan, attacking DEI and british colonies simply leaving behind and in the middle of the sea lanes the USA possesions was not an option, especially given the american reaction to the more or less bloodless invasion of Vichy French Indochina (been both Japan and Vichy France Nazi Germany sympathizers it could had been regarded a kind of internal fascist block affair)

I found this on the Quora forum
Duc Quyen
, World War II fanatic
Answered 5 years ago · Author has 407 answers and 15.5M answer views.

The book "Dirty little secrets of World War 2" provides us with some statistics about the average number of hours of flight training that new pilots got:
main-qimg-f4ecd2c19645feb87b4a653b1099b23f.webp

Flying hours before combat
......................1942, 1943, 1944
German, 240,170,110
British, 200,335,340
USA ----,320,360
The key factor determining how much training new pilots got was fuel. Five hours of fighter training requires about a ton of fuel. From 1939 to 1942, Luftwaffe pilots received about 240 hours of flight training. As the war went on, the Germans had fewer tons of fuel for anything. In the desperate closing months of the war, Luftwaffe pilots with as much as 8 hours of flying time were sent into combat.
On the other hand, Western Allied pilots didn't suffer from chronic fuel shortage and their flying time steadily increased over time.
Soviet new pilots' flying time, however, was nowhere near that of other countries. Soviet top fighter ace in World War II - Ivan Kozhedub - once said in an interview that he'd received 100 hours of flight training at his aviation school. Another pilot - Evgeny N. Stepanov said he'd got 80. But both finished training before the German invasion in June 1941. In the dark days of 1941 and 42, well, Soviet pilots often got only 8-10 hours of flight training before combat. But of course, the number would go up in later years.

They didn't because they couldn't. Interservice rivalry was only part of the problem. Saburo Sakai marveled at the huge American invasion fleet at Guadalcanal. The US hadn't even got its act together yet.
The inter-service rivalry didn't dictate where airfields were constructed, the availability of existing airfields did.
The Japanese (both Army and Navy) were woefully lacking in the ability to support their advances. So new airfields hacked out of the jungle was a burden on their logistics. On many occasions, it was up to the pilots and scant crew to build their own quarters.
The Japanese logistics and supply chain was deplorable and the rivalry between the two services hobbled their ability to wage war - example, the IJN had a relatively well equipped maintenance center on Rabaul. However, the nearby IJA base at Lae on New Guinea had to send their aircraft all the way to Manila for even routine maintenance - a trip of 1,500 miles one way - instead of the 345 miles to Rabaul.

The inter-service rivalry didn't dictate where airfields were constructed, the availability of existing airfields did.
The Japanese (both Army and Navy) were woefully lacking in the ability to support their advances. So new airfields hacked out of the jungle was a burden on their logistics. On many occasions, it was up to the pilots and scant crew to build their own quarters.
The Japanese logistics and supply chain was deplorable and the rivalry between the two services hobbled their ability to wage war - example, the IJN had a relatively well equipped maintenance center on Rabaul. However, the nearby IJA base at Lae on New Guinea had to send their aircraft all the way to Manila for even routine maintenance - a trip of 1,500 miles one way - instead of the 345 miles to Rabaul.
My point exactly.

My point exactly.
But my point was that the Japanese did not have enough area saturation (regardless of service) for the area under their control.
This led to long duration flights, sparse area coverage, increased wear and tear on the aircraft (aircraft were to be overhauled every 150 hours of accrued time) and excessive fuel consumption. Add to that, pilot fatigue, by the way.

The U.S. had no problem putting airfields anywhere there was enough room (including a 3,000 foot long shoal) because the American military had Navy Construction Batalions and Army Corps of Engineers along with the logistics make it happen.
This was a glaring shortcoming of the Japanese (both services) - their logistics were next to nothing and even when an airfield/base was established, there was never enough infrastructure to support it, both in men and material. When the Japanese were running two or more sorties a day, they had to wait for some poor bastard to hand pump the fuel into each aircraft from a 33 gallon container.
The Americans just had a fuel truck go from plane to plane...

Agreed.
I recall reading that the condition of Japanese made airfields (rayher than captured, ready made fields) were terrible.
So much so, that it cost them a good percentage of aircraft damaged or destroyed due to collapsed gear, loss of control on poorly maintained (muddy, rutted, etc.) runways.

Wasn't there a movie made about the Seabees on Guadalcanal? Fighting Seabees or something like that? The Americans were the ones with bulldozers.

Flying time or flying time on type?

During the BoB it was said RAF pilots had very little flying time but this was in the a/c they would fly in combat.
Well that is a movable feast, some people trained by the RAF and other nations could already fly before they joined, while others may have been great in most areas but have problems that needed to be overcome. I remember reading Bob Doe never liked flying inverted and thought he would be "washed out" because of it, he wasnt and became an ace. Choosing a force from those who have the wealth to own a plane isnt really a great idea. From what Ive read, assuming all who progress onto "transition training" in a frontline combat plane it the training in that plane that matters, 50 hours want enough to keep you alive if thrown into areas of high combat activity while over 200 hours you had learned almost all that training can give you.

December, 1942 might have been a little late for the Empire regarding Guadalcanal. Most of them winding up on the sea floor probably contributed little to building forward bases.

The only fighter aircraft to be operated from the very beginning to the very end of the European theatre was the Bf 109 (by 2 days).

Huh? The Spitfire Mk.I entered service with 19 Sqn at RAF Duxford in August 1938, a full year before war was declared. Am I missing something in your logic?

Both Eisenhower and Halsey are supposed to have included the Bulldozer in lists of weapons or equipment that won the war.

On display on the shoreline at Arromanches-les-Bains, Normandy. The dozer teams used to go out and remove the big rocks from the sand at low tide, which goes out for some distance, making it easier to mount the Mulberry Harbors.

48154973061_1d8d3f5ac9_b.jpg
Europe 31

The Fighting Seabees 1944 with John Wayne:

There you go, there's your documentary...

On display on the shoreline at Arromanches-les-Bains, Normandy. The dozer teams used to go out and remove the big rocks from the sand at low tide, which goes out for some distance, making it easier to mount the Mulberry Harbors.

View attachment 623993Europe 31
And all those miles of runways, taxiways and dispersal points didnt build themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back