Most Overrated aircraft of WWII.....? (1 Viewer)

The most over-rated aircraft of WW2

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Of course, the Spitfire was in combat in the Pacific after Germany was beaten.

Hi

Although the Spitfire fighters were in action in India and Australia before the end of 1943. Also in Malta by March 1942 and North Africa by May 1942, PR Spitfires arrived in all theatres earlier than the fighter variant. In the UK the Spitfires of 602 and 603 Squadrons claimed German bombers shot down on 16th October 1939 over Firth of Forth (Scotland), two JU 88 crashed into the sea, 4 German aircrew being rescued and made POW. The same RAF squadrons were also involved in the shooting down of first Luftwaffe aircraft over British soil, the HE111 crashing near Kidlaw on 28th October, 1939.

Mike

The Spitfire played little to no role in the invasion of Poland,

Did the Hurricane?

the invasion of Norway

Did the Hurricane?

nor did it play any substantial role in the Battle of France either.

The Spitfire was deliberately held back from the Battle of France.

It was the Hawker Hurricane which fought and destroyed aircraft of the Luftwaffe in most of these places. Very, very few of the Luftwaffe's losses in aerial combat were due to the guns of the Spitfire up to the French armistice at the end of June 1940.

Since the Spitfires were being held back for the defence of Britain, that is no surprise.

Wasn't there a movie made about the Seabees on Guadalcanal? Fighting Seabees or something like that? The Americans were the ones with bulldozers.

I know the Americans captured and used at least one Japanese bulldozer. Who knows how well it compared to an American dozer, but I'm sure it was better than nothing. They also captured a state-of-the-art Japanese radar set and an ice-making factory.

Did the Hurricane?

The Hurricane didn't fight over Poland in 1939 - I never said it did.

Did the Hurricane?

RAF Hurricanes were operating out of Norway in 1940.

The Spitfire was deliberately held back from the Battle of France.

Which is exactly my point. The Spitfire was deliberately held back to the confines of the UK for the first 2.5-3 years - which kind of reduced its effectiveness, wouldn't you say?

The Hurricane didn't fight over Poland in 1939 - I never said it did.

So why meantion Poland as a campaign that the Spitfire didn't participate in?

RAF Hurricanes were operating out of Norway in 1940.

Didn't know that.

In what sort of numbers?

Which is exactly my point. The Spitfire was deliberately held back to the confines of the UK for the first 2.5-3 years - which kind of reduced its effectiveness, wouldn't you say?

How does that make the Spitfire overrated?

Didn't know that.

In what sort of numbers?

Small, one squadron for certain, perhaps two?

They were evacuated onto the Glorious in a grand feat of airmanship, they had no arresting gear but by careful placement of sandbag ballast they were able to land without prop strikes.

Wasted when the Glorious's captain got his ship sunk due to stupidity/ineptitude.

I know the Americans captured and used at least one Japanese bulldozer. Who knows how well it compared to an American dozer, but I'm sure it was better than nothing. They also captured a state-of-the-art Japanese radar set and an ice-making factory.
I wasn't saying that was the case. The "Fighting Seabees" was a Hollywood production and might not be quite as factual as Mr. Caidin. Didn't know about the radar. That must have been really annoying. "You lost the airstrip AND our radar?"

If you sort through photos of USN/USMC/USAAF air ops in the PTO, you'll find groomed and well laid out airstrips in the most ungodly locations - conversely, the Japanese airfields were typically captured facilities. They rarely built their own and when they did, it was by hand, by impressed laborers. And those airstrip were atrocious - the Tinian Kokutai lost 23% of their aircraft to ground errors due to the airfield's poor condition.

The Japanese did have caterpillars, but they were rare in the Pacific due to their terrible logistics. The further out they went, the worse it got.

So why meantion Poland as a campaign that the Spitfire didn't participate in?

Because it was a campaign, among many, were the Spitfire was absent. The fact that some other combat aircraft types were not there either doesn't alter the fact, does it?

How does that make the Spitfire overrated?

The air defence of one's own homeland is an important role for an fighter aircraft sure, but you are not going to win any war unless you take the fight to the enemy. Do you think the P-51 would have been rated at all if it had only served in the mainland USA?

Last edited:
Because it was a campaign, among many, were the Spitfire was absent. The fact that some other combat aircraft types were not there either doesn't alter the fact, does it?

Rather a pointless observation don't you think?

The air defence of one's own homeland is an important role for an fighter aircraft sure, but you are not going to win any war unless you take the fight to the enemy.

The Spitfire was designed as a defensive fighter. At that it excelled.

The war as it developed was, most likely, what was envisioned when Spitfire.

Do you think the P-51 would have been rated at all if it had only served in the mainland USA?

Since it was originally ordered by the British, it was unlikely to ever serve only in the USA.

And if it did, how it was rated would depend on how it performed in the roles it was given.

The air defence of one's own homeland is an important role for an fighter aircraft sure, but you are not going to win any war unless you take the fight to the enemy. Do you think the P-51 would have been rated at all if it had only served in the mainland USA?
Your criteria for rating things seems to be based on what the P-51 did. Most Russian aircraft never went more than fifty miles over enemy lines and for most of the war that was still in the Soviet Union.

I actually agree with O Ovod , the spitfire is overrated. And before any spitfire fan starts shouting, in the mean time I also believe the spitfire was one of the greatest fighters of the war. The only reason I think the spitfire is overrated is the fact that it gets the credits for winning the BoB by the uninformed public, while we know better. So in that sense it was overrated. Was it the most overrated? Nah, not really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back